Sewage smell throughout Celebrity Edge?

layingblames

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Honestly I have found the Edge comments from those that have sailed her to be very balanced and informative.

Mr. Rick,

I agree.  I believe the reviews of the ones that have sailed Edge have been very balanced.  And, it is appreciated by some of us that are sailing Edge in the future.  So, I would like to thank you and others for your helpful comments. 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were on Dec 16 sailing and did not notice an issue...perhaps too early for the water to evaporate....  but if chengpk75 is correct.... then is sounds like the bartenders need some instructions on this topic... since it mostly seems to appear in the martini bar area. I know we experienced this once at home... would never have occurred to me that this might be a cause onboard... given that there are so many ways to mess up the plumbing on a ship.

My DH mentioned that there were sewer smells at the Roof Top Grill one day and he had talked to others who smelled it. I didn’t smell it and didn’t think much more about it since I’ve smelled transient sewer smells at one time or another in various areas of most ships I’ve sailed. The worst was a CS bathroom on M Class - easily fixed by attendant. 

It it sounds like this is in a variety of areas on the Edge and will hopefully be rectified easily by dealing with the u traps or whatever it is causing it. Gotta love the new ship smell comment! 😉

2 hours ago, kearney said:

We were on Dec 16 sailing and did not notice an issue...perhaps too early for the water to evaporate....  but if chengpk75 is correct.... then is sounds like the bartenders need some instructions on this topic... since it mostly seems to appear in the martini bar area. I know we experienced this once at home... would never have occurred to me that this might be a cause onboard... given that there are so many ways to mess up the plumbing on a ship.

The thing you have to realize is that unlike your plumbing system at home, where the toilets and sink/shower/other drains all flow together in common drain lines, the "black water" drains from the toilets on a ship are completely separate from the "gray water" drains from sinks, showers, decks, galleys, and laundries.  And since the black water system is under a vacuum, it is a totally enclosed system, and you won't get any smells from it unless the plumbers have opened it to roto-root out a clog, and then only while the line is open.

I tried to find a drawing of a deck drain to make this explanation easier, but I'll have to try with words.  Unlike a "U" or "P" type trap used in household plumbing, deck drains are a recessed round box in the deck, where the drain pipe sticks up into the center, above the bottom of the box.  Then, there is a grating to keep large items from the drain, that goes across the top of the deck box, and this grating has an inverted cup attached to its bottom, and when the grating is in place, the bottom edge of this cup is around and below the top of the drain pipe, so the water goes through the grating into the deck box, but must then flow up between the sides of the inverted cup and the drain pipe until it reaches the top of the drain pipe, and then it flows down the drain.  This keeps about an inch of water trapped in the deck box.  Unfortunately, bar and galley crew, reasoning that if they wash any large debris down the drain they don't have to worry about picking it up, and it becomes someone else's problem, will remove the grating and inverted cup, and this eliminates the odor trap feature.  Yep, a constant training exercise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I was on the January 20th cruise, and I can say we did smell is several time, the worse being on the retreat deck in front of the ship. 

I was in waves, and when the waves hit, it was pretty bad.

I just filled my survey and included it in there as well.

3 hours ago, angelhelly said:

I was on the January 20th cruise, and I can say we did smell is several time, the worse being on the retreat deck in front of the ship. 

I was in waves, and when the waves hit, it was pretty bad.

I just filled my survey and included it in there as well.

I also included the information in my survey - fingers-crossed the situation was diagnosed and solved prior to this week’s cruise. Will be interesting to see what guests from this week report back!  

• Thanks 1

We were on the Jan 20th sailing and definitely had the sewage smell. I don’t recall smelling it in public areas like restaurants or bars but we did smell it on various occasions in the hallways and our stateroom.  We were forward, 11th deck, so quite a ways from the martini bar.  Not sure if the smell dissipated or we just got used to it, but it was most definitely apparent. 

I’m on the Edge right now. My husband and I had to leave the Rooftop Garden yesterday because the smell was so foul. It’s hard to enjoy cocktails with the awful smell. But I have to say this is my ONLY complaint about The Edge. We have loved everything else about our cruise. Everything else has exceeded our expectations!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For us, we didn’t even mention it on board.  We noticed it and it was there some days, but it wasn’t a constant smell. We did mention it on our survey, but it really didn’t affect our cruise.  We would not have expected any compensation. 

• Like 3

On 1/30/2019 at 8:37 PM, Cruise Junky said:

I’m not dissing Edge. I’m calling you out for claiming 4 posters, some long term posters, are lying. I’m not talking about reviews. There are 4 posters on this thread saying they smelt it. Yet you question the OPs authenticity because they’re new. 

I question the authenticity of the OP's post as well, not because they're new necessarily, but because their post is just odd... for whatever reason. :classic_unsure:

58 minutes ago, cruisealaska8 said:

I’m on the Edge right now. My husband and I had to leave the Rooftop Garden yesterday because the smell was so foul. It’s hard to enjoy cocktails with the awful smell. But I have to say this is my ONLY complaint about The Edge. We have loved everything else about our cruise. Everything else has exceeded our expectations!!

It appears to be a growing problem since the end of the Jan 13th sailing.  I wonder if it is getting better or worse, or plateaued since then.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

3 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I question the authenticity of the OP's post as well, not because they're new necessarily, but because their post is just odd... for whatever reason. :classic_unsure:

Cool. So what’s your question? And would you like to also address it to everyone else who smelled the smell, too? 

18 minutes ago, layingblames said:

Cool. So what’s your question? And would you like to also address it to everyone else who smelled the smell, too? 

They would like you to submit a redaction, such as:

"Just back from the January 20 sailing of the Edge, and wondering if anyone else on recent sailings had to contend with a citrus scent smell on the Celebrity Edge? It was awe inducing, and many of the other guests I spoke with had the same horror stories of having to vacate an area or a bar because of a stampede of passengers rushing in to catch a whiff..."

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

It’s because I write compellingly and I’ve got jokes, right?

People are talking about the issue now, and hopefully it gets fixed by implementing chengkp75’s suggestions or by some good detective work.

I don’t know why people love this ship so much that they want to marry it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisealaska8 said:

I’m so sorry there is still some stinkiness!

My group for sure enjoyed our time on the edge - we just didn’t love the waves of smell. (Waves is a great way to describe it.) 

I wonder if there is someone you could tell while on the ship? And then you and chengkp75 could save the day for everyone?

Edited by layingblames

2 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Hey, if we could get the mask with a little Edge logo, these could be useful packing musts to optimize upcoming cruises, including a fix for the IV cabins.

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 1.54.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 1.52.51 AM.png

Made me laugh out loud --- they could make a fortune selling an 'Edge Survival Kit' . So far, having read all reviews it appears that I may need to take: the items above, ear plugs, a wire cutter (if needed for that speaker), a blow up foot stool / table and blackout curtains.

Still excited though :-)

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Made me laugh out loud --- they could make a fortune selling an 'Edge Survival Kit' . So far, having read all reviews it appears that I may need to take: the items above, ear plugs, a wire cutter (if needed for that speaker), a blow up foot stool / table and blackout curtains.

Still excited though 🙂

Exactly, and add a folding stool for the Martini Bar, hand sanitizer, and a magnetic travel board game kit.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Hey, if we could get the mask with a little Edge logo, these could be useful packing musts to optimize upcoming cruises, including a fix for the IV cabins.

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 1.54.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 1.52.51 AM.png

:classic_laugh: Hilarious. Except with X we know they will require you to PAY for them.... no "free perks" :classic_ninja:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

The evidence is stacking up...……..

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

The evidence is stacking up...……..

"Sewage" smells are not at all uncommon on cruise ships, and I would expect them more on new ships where the crew haven't located all the "hidden" drains.  This type of "comes and goes" and "traveling" (different spots at different times) odors is very indicative of the "dry trap" syndrome.  I've fought it for years, on every ship I've been on.

• Like 1