Any plan to eliminate plastic water bottles? Like Oceania?

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

The latest consignment of water delivered to Navigator is in what is claimed by the suppliers to be more sustainable packaging

Flossie will this be the water ready chilled at the gang way for passengers to take off shore on excursions? Thanks, Jean.

Mein Schiff TUI cruises goes one step further. They have water dispensers near the elevators and you bring your own bottle or buy one on the ship for refill to take ashore. There is also a carafe in each cabin for filling at the water dispenser. In the restaurants, the waiter brings carafes with bubbly and still water. 

Interesting.....but there are some differences in a cruise ship situation where people live in close quarters for days and weeks at a time . Jason did not answer the question about how these reusable bottles of water to the suites will be cleaned between cruises.

As for your personal bottle, it bogles the mind about drinking from the same bottle on shore and in the suite for say a world cruise (100+ days) with out washing it in a dishwasher! What if you get a cold or, heaven forbid, Noro! I don't think washing bottles out in the lavatory of my suite is my idea of part of a luxury cruise experience. Will they provide dishwashing liquid?

Edited by cwn

cwn - you bring up important points.  I would guess that the bottles are replaced in your suite daily.  Hoping that someone will post live from the Explorer's next cruise as many of us are interested in learning how this works.

Like I stated before [This doesn't scream luxury to me]. It screams Big Hassle! 

I don't mind replacing the Plastic Bottles with the new Box Bottles at all, its basically

the same easy system, you pick the Box Bottles and your on your way. Easy.

but the new filtration in room system to try and start filling up your water bottles is a bit of a hassle

for such a luxurious Cruise line.

Well at least Regent is trying to solve the world Green problems

to bad it can't solve the chair hugger problem around their pools!

6 minutes ago, DAK1405 said:

Well at least Regent is trying to solve the world Green problems

to bad it can't solve the chair hugger problem around their pools!

Maybe people waiting for loungers can snag the chairhog's place when they get up to refill their water bottle?   :classic_laugh:

I just looked online at the description of the Vero system.  If indeed that is what Regent is putting into each of the suites it should mitigate the issue of germs transferring.  While the guests would need to fill the bottles in the morning, the room stewards/butlers would collect the bottles at night and they would be sterilized and each suite would get new bottles every day.  It only would be a hassle for folks who drink a lot of water during the day and are used to throwing away the empty bottles.  Anything is better than what pictures I have seen with the oceans clogged with millions of water bottles.

• Thanks 1

All cruise lines should do away with plastic water bottles.  No plastic is allowed in some areas of the world.  Filtered refill bottles are perfectly acceptable.  They do this on Galapagos cruises and African Safari’s.

• Like 1

Chair hoggers are a perennial problem.  Asking the staff to enforce reasonable usage is not fair to the staff.  How about this?

When somebody leaves a lounge chair for more than, say, an hour or two the staff will place a large red placard on the chair asking them to be more considerate.  Of course, everybody else will know that they got "carded" but the staff don't have to bear the brunt of any outrage. Perhaps the public shaming will help these folks mend their ways.

I have no problem with drinking RO water. It's easy to make at sea, and easy to keep perfectly safe to drink in the ship's tanks. We did this for 10 years on our own boat, spending 6 months each year on board. On small ships, such as the Paul Gauguin and Sea Dream Yachts, we felt perfectly safe drinking the water from the tap. We refilled the plastic bottles we brought with us on board, and took them on excursions. On ships larger than a few hundred people, we see the ship's water tanks being filled in every port. It's through a big dirty looking hose and coming from who knows where. Once we see this, we don't drink the tap water. We have seen this on Regent, HAL and Silver Sea. We were most bothered by the later since it's a small ship and should have been able to do RO. After several days at sea, we assume the ship has purified the water with RO added and bleach, and drink from the tap.

Drinking perrier or other bottled water on a ship will result in a bottle being  ground up and dumped in the ocean, or put into the local landfill. Those who collect sea glass will benefit if it's done at sea, unless it doesn't wash up on shore. In a third world country, the perrier bottle will last forever in a landfill, or will be dumped locally. Plastic will  be ground up and dumped out at sea, or will be  put in the local landfill. Most plastic is now made to breakdown quickly in sunlight and is much more biodegradable glass.

I guess we'll need to bring our reusable nalgene water bottles, an eye-dropper, and a small bottle of bleach in our checked bags so we can purify our tap water in our cabin. We might need to leave some of our formal shoes at home to fit in the water bottles.

Currently we are on Navigator.  Yesterday we were only offered cardboard water boxes.  I still had some plastic bottles in my bag so did not take any.  Lots of people complaining the water tastes like cardboard.

We have had three boats two Sea Rays and one large post and did RO as well.  We also learned that ships do recycle glass and plastic and are not dumped at sea.  This can result in heavy fines.  Having a six pack license I am well informed.  Nothing that is not biodegradable should be dumped overboard.  Recently where we live no plastic straws are allowed on the beach and no smoking leaving butts on the beach.

We never drink ship water that has been bunkered in foreign ports.  Traversing the world land and sea, plastic water bottles are not allowed.  In most of those cases you are given refillable metallic ones for you personal use from water coolers either flat or fizzy.

Lets all try to keep our planet Crystal clean.