Making Platinum Dinner reservations before getting on board

salzdt

I just spoke to NCL about making dinner reservations using my Platinum Rewards prior to getting on board.  Agent said you have to wait until you get on board to make those reservation.  I have skin some posts that say you can make them online.  Anyone have recent experience?

There is absolutely nothing to stop you making reservations before the cruise regardless of how you intend to pay for them (SDP, platinum or a la carte). Just go ahead and book what you want and let them know when you turn up how you will be paying.

The only problem is that if you pick Moderno as one of them then the system will want you to pay when you book. You can get round this if you have the SDP by making sure it’s one of the first ones you book.

There is much more Information about this in the link in my signature.

All specialty restaurants for the cruise I am booked on for this April show "not available to book" on the NCL website (they don't show certain dates/time not available as I have seen previously on other cruises). A couple of days ago I called NCL and was able to book restaurants with an agent without any problem. These reservations are for meals under my platinum perk but the agent did not ask any questions regarding whether or not I had the meal plan if they were platinum meals (I did not book Moderno).

1 hour ago, salzdt said:

I just spoke to NCL about making dinner reservations using my Platinum Rewards prior to getting on board.  Agent said you have to wait until you get on board to make those reservation.  I have skin some posts that say you can make them online.  Anyone have recent experience?

100% incorrect information from NCL.

You book them just like any other specialty reservation at 120 days prior to cruise (130 if you are in a Suite). IF you do not have a SDP and you want to dine at Moderno, you will have to wait until you are onboard. IF you have an SDP, book Moderno first so you are not charged. 

1 hour ago, jaapie said:

All specialty restaurants for the cruise I am booked on for this April show "not available to book" on the NCL website (they don't show certain dates/time not available as I have seen previously on other cruises). A couple of days ago I called NCL and was able to book restaurants with an agent without any problem. These reservations are for meals under my platinum perk but the agent did not ask any questions regarding whether or not I had the meal plan if they were platinum meals (I did not book Moderno).

Online booking has been a bit wonky lately. Reservations open at 120 days (130 for Suites). If they are not available online, folks should pick up a phone an talk to a live reservation agent (gasp). If you wait until they are available online, you may find that choice prime time slots are already sold out because people called. 

But you can still book them onboard. A large percentage of dining time reservations are held back for booking on the ship. Just stop at one of the touch screen monitors near the elevators when you first board. Convenient and easy to use.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

The newer ships, at least, allow you to book reservations on your cabin TV.

And I believe some of the older smaller ships that have gone through a recent dry-dock refurbishment upgrade and

software enhancement - checking your account balance - movie purchase - and dining and shore reservations.

These too have that ability to book reservations with the in cabin TV system.

xxx

Best to book well before you get to your cabin especially if your plans are dinner and show and your party is large.

Most ships on embarkation day have an area set aside for restaurant reservations with extra staffing.

Recent trip on the DAWN had 5 reps taking reservations in the Bamboo restaurant - took less than 10 minutes.

While waiting guests should note if they have the Dining Package and anything booked previously that needed

to be changed or bartered/exchanged for other options. This is the time to alert the reservationist of those Platinum

rewards coupons and how you intend to use them - you still give the coupons to the restaurant at the time of dining. 

Guests receive a confirmation ticket with date time and restaurant info. -

later you can bring that up on the in cabin TV or go to Guest Services to get an overall hard-copy of all the reservations.

The system is getting better - if NCL can just iron out the glitches in the pre-cruise bookings - NCL does not like

ODD number parties - so Book an EVEN number and when visiting that Reservations set-up get it adjusted or

visit the Host of the restaurant a few minutes before your reserved time. Not to worry you will not be charged for

the empty chair at your table.

If your party is say -6- or more you really should book your times well in advance giving NCL the time and opportunity

to serve you without putting round tables with square or rectangular tables trying to make things work for you and

your large party.

20 hours ago, salzdt said:

Wrong: often to get a good hour you need to wait or you can call them but you certainly can make reservations ahead of time. We are leaving in a few days for our 10 day cruise and have reservations for 3 restaurants 2 using our platinum. One I made on line, two I called and made. 

17 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

But you can still book them onboard. A large percentage of dining time reservations are held back for booking on the ship. Just stop at one of the touch screen monitors near the elevators when you first board. Convenient and easy to use.

Just as a word of caution, while NCL holds tables for onboard booking, those will sell out quickly also. On our recent cruise on the Bliss, at 1 pm on embarkation day, Cagney's was totally sold out for the duration of the cruise. Prior to that, they were making 9:00 pm and 9:30 pm reservations (which is only o.k. if you are late diners). 

The best advise is always to book early pre-cruise (120 days prior to departure) for preferred dining times. If online isn't working, then call. 

23 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

There is absolutely nothing to stop you making reservations before the cruise regardless of how you intend to pay for them (SDP, platinum or a la carte). Just go ahead and book what you want and let them know when you turn up how you will be paying.

The only problem is that if you pick Moderno as one of them then the system will want you to pay when you book. You can get round this if you have the SDP by making sure it’s one of the first ones you book.

There is much more Information about this in the link in my signature.

Thank you Ken,

I had already made my four Specialty Dinner reservations, when I went into the Modermo it would not accept it.  I'm going to try making online again or call them.  We have not tried Moderno on other cruises.  If I can't do it online, I will call.

One time prior to having a dining package, I booked Moderno and paid for it in advance, intending to use my platinum voucher once on the ship. I figured they would just credit me back that charge as OBC. 

Wrong. It was a HUGE hassle. 

Despite showing them my printed NCL receipt and corresponding credit card charge, I had to ultimately dispute the charge with my card company. (Seriously, the receipt wasn't enough. They claimed maybe my charge didn't go through so I actually had to scroll back in my credit card app to find the payment, which I showed them. Then they claimed, oh well, NCL never forwarded my payment to the ship. This was apparently my problem. I tried 3 times with 3 different people to get this corrected on the ship, to no avail.)

My point is, don't ever offer NCL prepayment for something you don't need to. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2019 at 9:11 AM, salzdt said:

I am sure glad I didn't talk to that agent. Too many agents are not well trained or don't want to take the time to give correct answers This goes with many companies when we call and talk to sales agents. It is very frustrating to say the least. that being said, we do, often just wait til we get on the ship to make our reservations 

5 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Just an update ... our cruise opened up today for dinner reservations.  As a cruise planning freak, I woke up at 12:15 a.m. EST  and booked 5 specialty dining reservations (3 SDP + 2 Platinum) - we got all days and times wanted.  No prepayment required.  I then went back to bed 😀

I am chuckling...  This is one time living in AK Time works for us 🙂