Mombasa stop cancelled

Mrs f.

Captain  just informed us that due to security  concerns, the Nautica  will not be stopping at Mombasa tomorrow.    So I guess the $220 for the yellow fever shot last week, the$400 visa and $200 tour from Orange Safari is lost. Oy. Another sea day.

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

Captain  just informed us that due to security  concerns, the Nautica  will not be stopping at Mombasa tomorrow.    So I guess the $220 for the yellow fever shot last week, the$400 visa and $200 tour from Orange Safari is lost. Oy. Another sea day.

Why lost?

if you have the right trip insurance, one that covers losses due to missed ports, you may be reimbursed for approved expenses (e.g., Nationwide cruise policy). Get a letter from Guest Services regarding the reason for the missed port and submit it, along with receipts for the unreimbursable associated costs, in your claim.

That said, the YF vaccine may not be included since it is good forever. Any visa coverage  would probably depend on the type (e.g., one day transit vs 10 yr tourist, etc.). The tour, however, should be insured.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Do people buy those policies with that low of deductibles? I’d need several missed ports , with related costs to hit my typical deductible levels.

I'm not sure if our travel insurance would cover these expenses, other than any pre-paid, non-refundable excursions of course.

But our travel policies don't have any deductible, for medical costs or anything else.  What type of policy do you have?

(Our regular 'home' health insurance does have deductibles and co-pays, etc.)

GC

There was a terrorist incident two weeks ago in Nairobi where 14 persons were killed. Presume Oceania is doing this as a precaution.   If the OP has insurance, you might check the terrorism clause.  The visa cost if order through O could be refundable with some complaining.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Sure better to be safe than sorry if something happens.   There are plenty of areas in the world that we will not even book to go to because of the potential for trouble.  Places we have gone in past years that would be a no go today.  Oceania has a duty to its guests to do the most they can to keep them safe.  No big deal if we miss a port or 2 with that in mind. 

38 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

$400 for a visa for a one day visit?  I have paid a similar price for a week visit to Russia.  Not sure I would do it for Mombasa. 

For US citizens, last time I checked it was $25 to $50 per person at the embassy/consulate depending on visa type.

Using third party visa services will always cost a ton more unless it's cheaper for the time/travel costs if you do not have a nearby consulate/embassy.

Maybe the visa cost was for two as was the tour?  We went to Kenya/Tanzania on a land tour way back in 1987 so whatever we paid is irrelevant.  But since we're in NYC it was easy to go to the consulate to get our visas.  Just as I did for Brazil in 2013 and Russia in 2001.  And elsewhere!

When I book a private tour I always check on cancellation policies.  If they won't refund a deposit (or the full cost) when the port is cancelled, I don't book with them.  However, most do.  Sometimes there is a time limit so if a port is cancelled at the last minute you may be stuck.  That's the risk.  Most of the agencies I have used will give full refunds when the ship has cancelled the port visit.  They are out too!  I imagine they have to pay their drivers whether the ship is there or not if it's truly last minute.

Mura

We got word as we were leaving Dar e's Salaam.  Have travel insurance. Will pull out papers and check today. Tanzania  visa was $200 per person. Kenya was $100 per person.  Mozambique $100 per person. Sri Lanka free transit 1 day visa.  Also I  sent an email to our tour operator in Mombasa to inform them.

12 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Do people buy those policies with that low of deductibles? I’d need several missed ports , with related costs to hit my typical deductible levels.

I've never had a deductible with any of my travel insurance policies. 

We refused to buy the Mozambique visa on our last cruise. Oceania and our TA sent several forceful emails about needing the visa, but the Maputo consulate confirmed that we did not need one if we weren't going ashore. After hearing back from many passengers who did not have a good experience in port (very aggressive vendors and not much to see), we were happy with our decision to save the $200.

We are on this cruise. O made it very clear that they would refund Kenya visas which were sold on board for $99 p.p.

As to Mozambique visa, yes, O did send inconsistent information.  Our TA told us they were required so we prepaid $99 p.p. to O.  When we got onboard, we told reception that we did not plan to go ashore in Mozambique and the visa fee was credited back to us.

Oceania is refu ding the visa charges if you bought through them. So we shall get $200 back into out onboard credit.

We had booked a private tour using Oranje Safari. They are refunding 95%. The other 5% they must pay the credit card company.Happy with that.  After all we cancelled 48 hours before.

So we are just out the $120 pp for the yellow fever shot.

They substituted a day in Praslin, Seychelles.  Good because otherwise we would have had 3 sea days I  a row.

Having a great time.

57 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Oceania is refu ding the visa charges if you bought through them. So we shall get $200 back into out onboard credit.

We had booked a private tour using Oranje Safari. They are refunding 95%. The other 5% they must pay the credit card company.Happy with that.  After all we cancelled 48 hours before.

They substituted a day in Praslin, Seychelles.  Good because otherwise we would have had 3 sea days I  a row.

Having a great time.

well that is good

if you ever go to a Country that requires YF shot  the cost will not be wasted  😉

7 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Having a great time.

Praslin is gorgeous!  Enjoy!