$1 Deposit day

newtocruiseinblue

Can we book the cruise right now and transfer to TA later on?

We plan to take 2020 Alaska cruise, but we have not started the planning yet. I don't know if I should just book the room. If later on we find a better price through TA, are we just losing the deposit ($4 for 2 rooms)?

12 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Can we book the cruise right now and transfer to TA later on?

We plan to take 2020 Alaska cruise, but we have not started the planning yet. I don't know if I should just book the room. If later on we find a better price through TA, are we just losing the deposit ($4 for 2 rooms)?

You may transfer to TA later.  The TA may require full deposit at time of transfer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nymich said:

5 cruises in 5 months is a lot!  I thought when we did 2 in 2 months it was pretty good lol...…..but we are still working so I guess that is pretty good!

Ha ha!  They just “kind of happened”.    Still have 3 more to go but that $1 deposit is SO tempting....(and we are retired so making up for lost time, lol)

• Like 1

A loyal Princess cruiser here, but I booked 2 June 2020 Med cruises.  I have a Princess Cruise already booked for that time, but I liked the HAL Itineraries also. I figured I couldn’t go wrong for 4$ 😉.  I’ve got a year to pick one or cancel them all until 2021.

I found the pricing to be competitive with my Princess Cruise for the same time. 

• Like 3

I booked a $1 deposit 2019 South America cruise for Dec just to see all of the airfare and pre-post cruise prices.  After adding all of the prices, I decided that $13000 for a solo was excessive and cancelled today.

The investment to see the HAL Flight Ease fares was worth it.  HAL Reservations is even refunding my $1.

• Like 1

Sorry, and forgive me for this naive question.  Where is the benefit in booking a cruise with a $1 deposit?  You still have to pay the full cruise fare at some point.  Its not as though its a discounted fare.  I just don't get it.

18 minutes ago, baggal said:

Sorry, and forgive me for this naive question.  Where is the benefit in booking a cruise with a $1 deposit?  You still have to pay the full cruise fare at some point.  Its not as though its a discounted fare.  I just don't get it.

I didn't get a chance to look at which cruises qualified for the $1 deposit, but If your cruise you are interested in booking departs near the end of 2020, or early 2021 and it was an expensive cruise, you would have a small amount of money tied up, instead of the regular deposit required.

Edited by wombatKY
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, baggal said:

One reason is for people that work and don’t know if they can get time off yet (for example my DIL is a nurse).  Another is if a cruise is in October 2020 it  gives more time to research or save for people.  Obviously there are many reasons people like this $1 booking so it’s a personal choice.  Options are always good in my opinion.  Some don’t have a FCC to use so it saves them money at this time.  

• Like 1

I booked a 12 night Venice roundtrip on Nieuw Amsterdam for July 2020. Hopefully the itinerary will remain as published because the ship will spend 24 hours in Istanbul as well as many stops in Greece.

I booked because the $1 deposit made me look at cruises, and it was simple enough to put $2 toward what admittedly is a very tentative travel plan at this point. It seemed easy enough, and yes, I'll have to scare up about $6K by next spring.

• Like 1