Internet Rant/Vent...

MsSoCalCruiser

Don’t get me wrong because I am pleased that for $59 I can have unlimited Internet on my seven day cruise. What irks me is that platinum/elite cruisers are offered the same price that brand new cruisers are offered. Didn’t elite status used to receive free Internet that was unlimited and then it was switched to so many minutes depending on your cruise length? Now everyone can purchase an unlimited package for a discounted price prior to your cruise. You would think that they would give the platinum/elite cruisers a discount on top of that. If a cruiser uses their “free“ minutes and then buys the unlimited Internet for the regular daily price they can end up paying more in the long run...   just wondered what you all thought about it. Please, helpful comments only, LOL. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I do think there should be a discount for Platinum/Elite.

Internet is a cash cow for cruise lines. They are making enough money as it is - they can give a discount those who have been loyal, especially since they took the unlimited perk away years ago.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

I'm thinking out loud, here.  My wife and I are both Platinum level and, so, we both get an allocation of internet minutes for every cruise.  Typically, my wife runs out of minutes from her allocation after five or six days.  What she does, then, is to log on as me, and start on my allocation.  This has never happened, but let's, for the sake of discussion. assume that she runs through my allocation. also.  I think there is some option to by internet time by the day.  (I may be wrong, there.)  Can she not, then, buy time by the day, or is there some point on the cruise where buying internet time is not available?

3 minutes ago, madjohn said:

I think the internet could be the end of my cruising.  I loved getting on a ship and not seeing people on there phones.  I loved not having mine and not using it.

Some of us are still working and have to check in with our job. Also, when I had a sick parent, I had to be in frequent contact or else I couldn't cruise. Everyone has different situations!

Imagine parents who left their kids at home with grandparents and their kid got sick. Some people need to stay in touch back home, even if you don't need to. 

• Like 6

I suspect that's not what he's talking about.

Look around when you're not on a ship and you'll see the same thing.  People sitting in restaurants not talking because they are texting, checking Facebook, etc.

It's an absolute scourge. The smart phones are causing the death of human interaction.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

I was recently on a river cruise with free internet. We googled a few things at dinner when we didn't know what the menu item was but no one abused it by using it to post on FB during dinner or anything like that. 

14 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

Look around when you're not on a ship and you'll see the same thing.  People sitting in restaurants not talking because they are texting, checking Facebook, etc.

It's an absolute scourge. The smart phones are causing the death of human interaction.

I agree......

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm thinking out loud, here.  My wife and I are both Platinum level and, so, we both get an allocation of internet minutes for every cruise.  Typically, my wife runs out of minutes from her allocation after five or six days.  What she does, then, is to log on as me, and start on my allocation.  This has never happened, but let's, for the sake of discussion. assume that she runs through my allocation. also.  I think there is some option to by internet time by the day.  (I may be wrong, there.)  Can she not, then, buy time by the day, or is there some point on the cruise where buying internet time is not available?

Some recent posts have said that after P&E passengers ran out of free minutes they were able to purchase unlimited by the day...about $10? 🤔

Although as ships transition to MedallionNet there may not be much standardization so experiences may vary by ship and even possibly by cruise.

I know we all like free but in this case I'm not so sure.  We did have free and a select few took advantage of the situation and now we are limited. ( So the story goes.) I could see free for Suite Guests.    A nice perk for those paying for a Suite.    I can see a discount above and beyond what we now get free for being Platinum   and an additional discount for Elite.  Unfortunately there are too many Platinum and Elite for free internet to work.   Funny how when you put a price on things, no matter what the cost,   some think twice about sharing it with others.   JMHO. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

waltd,  it is ironic that Princess is one of the only lines that does not offer free internet for suite guests.  I have sailed both Royal Caribbean and Norwegian; and both offer free internet for suite guests; plus a lot of other features too

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Some recent posts have said that after P&E passengers ran out of free minutes they were able to purchase unlimited by the day...about $10? 🤔

Although as ships transition to MedallionNet there may not be much standardization so experiences may vary by ship and even possibly by cruise.

Frank I think $9.99 per day is the standard price or at least it was.

I agree 100%.

It's going to be a long time before we hit elite and I find it hard to see any real benefit to achieving platinum status anymore. Whenever I discuss trying new lines with DH he brings up the benefits Princess gives us. Because the unlimited internet is so cheap, I went ahead and purchased it for our upcoming cruise in two weeks. BUT so did my SIL and so did four of our friends that we encouraged to sail with us - all princess newbies. So there goes that perceived benefit.

Let's not even talk about the P&E lounge. When we first hit Platinum the drinks were $5 each and well worth visiting the lounge every night. DH enjoyed the Chairman of the Board, I liked the cosmo. Looking at the new drink menu I just can't see spending $6.50 on any of them when I can go to Crooners and get any drink I want for only a few dollars more.

DH and I only just retired and hope to cruise for at least 20 years more. I hope that the powers that be at Princess take notice of this thread. Showing appreciation for loyalty goes a long way in the travel industry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

On our recent cruise on the Regal it was $9.99 a day after the free platinum/elite minutes ran out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madjohn said:

I think the internet could be the end of my cruising.  I loved getting on a ship and not seeing people on there phones.  I loved not having mine and not using it.

Why let what others do bother you? I was recently on the Regal where many passengers had unlimited internet and I did not notice excessive use. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bemis12 said:

I also agree 100%. 

On the lighter side of the discussion, if we watch enough internet videos, we could stay home and not cruise! Plus, I heard you could make tofu taste like anything, even Cruise food!

Glenn

Edited by Grburkart

4 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Don’t get me wrong because I am pleased that for $59 I can have unlimited Internet on my seven day cruise. What irks me is that platinum/elite cruisers are offered the same price that brand new cruisers are offered. Didn’t elite status used to receive free Internet that was unlimited and then it was switched to so many minutes depending on your cruise length? Now everyone can purchase an unlimited package for a discounted price prior to your cruise. You would think that they would give the platinum/elite cruisers a discount on top of that. If a cruiser uses their “free“ minutes and then buys the unlimited Internet for the regular daily price they can end up paying more in the long run...   just wondered what you all thought about it. Please, helpful comments only, LOL. 

It’s $52 for Elites and platinums for 7 days  as long as they sign up on day one of the cruise.  When you log in to get your free mins, you will be given the option of buying the unlimited.  This info comes to me directly from my CC friend who was onboard the Royal just two weeks ago.  

Edited by 4cats4me

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Yes, you can buy unlimited internet by the day.  I just got off the Caribbean Princess on 2/9 and it was offered at $9.99/day if you bought for the entire cruise on the first day.  My wife and I each get 250 minutes (14 day cruise) and I thought I was going to have to buy a day or two toward the end of the cruise but I ended up not needing to.  I believe the daily price was slightly higher than the $9.99 but can't recall the exact price.  As unreliable as MedallionNet is, they should be giving it away.  My Wi-Fi connection was constantly dropping and connecting was a pain in the rear.  40+ years in IT and I've never seen such a shoddy implementation of technology.

• Like 1