New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

It really doesn't make sense to go to Termini if you're headed to the Colosseum, you'll waste time with the last five minutes or so of the train ride into the station (they inch along getting into the station because of the traffic).  Get off at Ostiense and get the metro from there, you'll likely be at the Colosseum around the same time the train finally pulls into Termini.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

It really doesn't make sense to go to Termini if you're headed to the Colosseum, you'll waste time with the last five minutes or so of the train ride into the station (they inch along getting into the station because of the traffic).  Get off at Ostiense and get the metro from there, you'll likely be at the Colosseum around the same time the train finally pulls into Termini.

Perfect, thank you.  Every minute is going to count in my DIY Rome in a Day plan :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I realize that the ship's actual berth location will have an impact but has anyone walked from the ship to the Civitavicchi Station. The distance looks to be about 1.5 KMs so a 15-minute walk. More importantly, are there security or other restrictions which prevent walking from ship to station or vice-versa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the morning we have usually got the shuttle - because it is just outside the ship and convenient.  We usually walk back from the station and there are never any security issues.  

Just before the ship leaves there are usually a number of passengers that have to run back.  They would probably tell you that the distance feels much further than 1.5 km.  

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 2:55 PM, voyageur9 said:

I realize that the ship's actual berth location will have an impact but has anyone walked from the ship to the Civitavicchi Station. The distance looks to be about 1.5 KMs so a 15-minute walk. More importantly, are there security or other restrictions which prevent walking from ship to station or vice-versa.

It´s more a 20 to 30 min walk depending on the docking area of your ship (10 to 13). There´s no problem walking from the ship or to the ship. We did that more than once.

If your ship is docked at 25 (opposite the main docking area) you are not allowed to walk but have to take the shuttle to Largo della Pace. And from there it would be much longer anyway.

steamboats

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a new cruise going out of Rome with NCL.   The cruise is June 18, 2020.   We fly into Rome on June 17th in the morning and was going to stay in Rome and sightsee the full day of the 17th.  Then take hopefully this quick train from Rome to the cruise port.  What I am not understanding is where do I pick up this express train at?  Is it the main Rome terminal (is there a  name for it)?   Should I get tickets now to reserve one of the seats on the train?   Should I get the round trip ticket so when we get back from the cruise, we can get back to Rome?

Our other thought, option was to go to Civetecchhia on the 17th and just relax there?  Is there things to do in the cruise port or better time spent going to Rome.  Our whole family has been to Rome, so it would be more of seeing things we have already seen in Rome, but you can never get too much of Rome.  Just never been to the cruise port and was wondering if it was a good place to visit and sightsee for a day.

Your time is much better spent in Rome, you could spend a month there and still only scratch the surface.  Civitavecchia is a perfectly pleasant working port town but nothing special.

The Civitavecchia-Rome express train uses the Roma Ostiense station (it also stops at the Roma San Pietro station) but it does not go to the main station, called Termini.

It's too early to book now for June tickets, wait until three or four months prior to travel.

Book directly with Trenitalia, not with a third party.  Web site is here:  https://www.trenitalia.com/

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, euro cruiser said:

Your time is much better spent in Rome, you could spend a month there and still only scratch the surface.  Civitavecchia is a perfectly pleasant working port town but nothing special.

The Civitavecchia-Rome express train uses the Roma Ostiense station (it also stops at the Roma San Pietro station) but it does not go to the main station, called Termini.

It's too early to book now for June tickets, wait until three or four months prior to travel.

Book directly with Trenitalia, not with a third party.  Web site is here:  https://www.trenitalia.com/

Do you know the timeframes of when it goes from San Pietro to the port, we are concerned of making sure we get on the train and that it gets in early enough.  The cost difference is very large from a private carrier and yes, understand that their is more work to do on this option, but trying to save a few dollars here and there.

Are you given a seat on the train or is it first come first serve?  I just went on the website, they are not listing the Regionale Veloce yet as those must come on the website as you said 3-4 months prior.  I do see a lot of earlier "regionale" trains, yes it has a lot of stops, but there are earlier ones.   Just want to make sure we are prepared the day we cruise on what to expect.   If there are some guidance of how earlier to get to the San Pietro station and if we go on the website earlier to purchase tickets will we need to do anything else.  My guess is that we have to carry our bags, do they have somewhere for us to store it overhead or just put in with you in front of your seat.  Thanks for all the help.

The Civitavecchia express probably will not work for embarkation day, it's set up for port days so the two trips from Rome to Civitavecchia are in the afternoon, at 3:37 PM (arrives 4:30) and 4:30 PM (arrives 5:20).

You carry and deal with your own luggage.

There are no guaranteed seats but everyone gets a seat as they only sell as many tickets as there are seats.

The service is seasonal and will be back on April 1st.  

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

Just now, euro cruiser said:

The Civitavecchia express probably will not work for embarkation day, it's set up for port days so the two trips from Rome to Civitavecchia are in the afternoon, at 3:37 PM (arrives 4:30) and 4:30 PM (arrives 5:20).

You carry and deal with your own luggage.

There are no guaranteed seats but everyone gets a seat as they only sell as many tickets as there are seats.

So going from San Pietro to Civitachecchia on the day of the cruise, I should just take the Regional Veloce train (47 minutes).  If I pick Civitachecchia, that is the same as the Civitachecchia Port?    On the website, I just pick one of the two times that are in the morning for the Veloce train.   Since our check in time is at 11:00, my thoughts are to take the 9:00 train or so.   Thanks for your help on understanding that the Express doesn't run that way in the morning.  Sounds like they built it more for boats that come to port.   

But it sounds like I can pick the Express when we get back into Port after the cruise and go on that train back to San Pietro.   I will see if it has the options yet to pick it.   

For embarkation day you have several options for public transportation:

• Cotral bus:  for this option you need to take the metro to the Cornelia station (1,50 euro), then the bus to Civitavecchia (3,90 euro).  The bus stop is just around the corner from the port entrance where you get the shuttle bus to your ship.  The bus ride is longer than the train at one hour, twenty minutes.
  • Regional train:  for this option you get the train at any train station in Rome, which may require a bus or metro ride depending on where you are staying.  The train fare is 4,60 euro and drops you one mile from the cruise port entrance.  You can walk this distance or pay 2 euro for the local bus.
  • Intercity train:  only from Rome Ostiense, so may require a bus or metro ride, costs 11,50 euro and takes 40 minutes.  This train has assigned seating.
  • Frecce train:  only from Rome Termini, costs 16 euro, takes 50 minutes, assigned seating
  • Like 1

If you choose Civitavecchia Port on the Trenitalia site you'll get the trains that also have bus service from the train station to the port entrance.  You'll pay an extra two euro for this bus service.

If you will be staying in the Vatican area I would seriously consider the bus option, it's a lot less hassle than the train.  There is a 9:10 AM bus that gets you to the port entrance at 10:45. 

Remember that if you take a regional train there is no assigned seating so you may stand for part or all of the journey.  

Also, with the bus there are no stairs to climb (other than a couple up into the bus, just as on the train).  They put your luggage in the hold and take it out in Civitavecchia, you don't need to deal with it.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

If you choose Civitavecchia Port on the Trenitalia site you'll get the trains that also have bus service from the train station to the port entrance.  You'll pay an extra two euro for this bus service.

If you will be staying in the Vatican area I would seriously consider the bus option, it's a lot less hassle than the train.  There is a 9:10 AM bus that gets you to the port entrance at 10:45. 

Remember that if you take a regional train there is no assigned seating so you may stand for part or all of the journey.  

Also, with the bus there are no stairs to climb (other than a couple up into the bus, just as on the train).  They put your luggage in the hold and take it out in Civitavecchia, you don't need to deal with it.

OK, that makes sense for the BUS.   Do you go on a different website to get the bus tickets.  I like the option of putting the luggage in the hold under the bus.  Is the bus station there at the San Pietro train station.

• Like 1

This is a local, public bus so you can't buy tickets in advance.  There is a ticket office at the bus depot (called Capolinea Cotral Cornelia), which is located on Via Domenico Tardini in Rome.  It's a short walk (600 meters/four-tenths of a mile) from the Cornelia metro station, or a short cab ride from the historic center of Rome.  Since you'll be saving so much using the bus it's probably worth it for you to take a cab to the depot.

One of the difficulties of taking buses in new places is knowing where to get off (this is one key reason why so many people take the train, even when it's less convenient, because it's easy to figure out when you've arrived).  If you don't speak Italian it's helpful to write down your destination (Largo della Pace entrata al porto Civitavecchia) and show it to at the ticket booth as well as to the driver.  Do not assume they will speak English.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

This is a local, public bus so you can't buy tickets in advance.  There is a ticket office at the bus depot (called Capolinea Cotral Cornelia), which is located on Via Domenico Tardini in Rome.  It's a short walk (600 meters/four-tenths of a mile) from the Cornelia metro station, or a short cab ride from the historic center of Rome.  Since you'll be saving so much using the bus it's probably worth it for you to take a cab to the depot.

One of the difficulties of taking buses in new places is knowing where to get off (this is one key reason why so many people take the train, even when it's less convenient, because it's easy to figure out when you've arrived).  If you don't speak Italian it's helpful to write down your destination (Largo della Pace entrata al porto Civitavecchia) and show it to at the ticket booth as well as to the driver.  Do not assume they will speak English.

Appreciate all of the assistance.  I will have a talk with the family on these two options (train or bus) and figure out the best one.   Like the option of putting it on paper.   I also like having the option of getting reservations on the train prior to boarding so that may end up being the best.  Tell the wife and kids they just have to pack lighter.  

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, oracer said:

Are you given a seat on the train or is it first come first serve?  I just went on the website, they are not listing the Regionale Veloce yet as those must come on the website as you said 3-4 months prior.  I do see a lot of earlier "regionale" trains, yes it has a lot of stops, but there are earlier ones.   Just want to make sure we are prepared the day we cruise on what to expect.   If there are some guidance of how earlier to get to the San Pietro station and if we go on the website earlier to purchase tickets will we need to do anything else.  My guess is that we have to carry our bags, do they have somewhere for us to store it overhead or just put in with you in front of your seat.  Thanks for all the help.

You simply board the train, pick a seat. Best bet is finding seats closer to the exits because Italian trains are known for abrupt stops and then sudden departures. We just took an excursion with a guide, she was very helpful and then cut us loose to do our own thing in Rome. Granted, we probably paid more money, but it was worth it. Further, let's say there's a railway strike (often happens) with the excursion you're protected and would get all of your money back. Not sure buying online guarantees that.

1 hour ago, johnjen said:

Further, let's say there's a railway strike (often happens) with the excursion you're protected and would get all of your money back. Not sure buying online guarantees that.

Let's try to be as factual as possible about this.  "Often" is a difficult word as we each define it differently.  If strikes impact the Civitavecchia-Rome line five times a year, or 5/365 (approximately 1.4% of the time) is that "often" to you?

It is always possible to see when strikes are planned on the Italian government transportation web site.  When you check it you'll see that the vast majority of strikes are local and that there are, on average, five or fewer national strikes per year that would impact train travel between Civitavecchia and Rome.  There may be a couple of additional local ones, so in the very worst year perhaps there might be 10/365 days when train travel is impacted.  Less than 3% of the time, in other words (and in most cases the morning commuter trains run anyway).

Now, if the strike happens on a day when you are there the frequency might just as well be 100% of the time, I get that, but scaring people with misinformation about the likelihood of a strike doesn't help them make an informed decision.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

Let's try to be as factual as possible about this.  "Often" is a difficult word as we each define it differently.  If strikes impact the Civitavecchia-Rome line five times a year, or 5/365 (approximately 1.4% of the time) is that "often" to you?

It is always possible to see when strikes are planned on the Italian government transportation web site.  When you check it you'll see that the vast majority of strikes are local and that there are, on average, five or fewer national strikes per year that would impact train travel between Civitavecchia and Rome.  There may be a couple of additional local ones, so in the very worst year perhaps there might be 10/365 days when train travel is impacted.  Less than 3% of the time, in other words (and in most cases the morning commuter trains run anyway).

Now, if the strike happens on a day when you are there the frequency might just as well be 100% of the time, I get that, but scaring people with misinformation about the likelihood of a strike doesn't help them make an informed decision.

You obviously need something to do, Richard.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, johnjen said:

You obviously need something to do, Richard.

Too funny 😂

...but as a fellow number nerd, I kind of dig it too. Statistics and probabilities can provide wonderful ways to make sense of things. Or another way of saying, it might happen, and it might not....probably not, but don't let the possibility take up too much bandwidth. A better use of that sort of thinking would be in the unlikely event that there was a glitch, channeling the energy into problem solving mode, coping, and making the most out of the experience...maybe an interesting encounter, meeting someone kind/helpful, stumbling into some great little hole-in-the-wall, or at a minimum, you learn something, or have a colorful story to tell upon returning home. 

Examples: I missed my flight home from Paris due to a mini-strike but ended up at the flat of my hotel front desk manager and became long time friends, I stood from Bologna to Rome, like an anchovy in a tin with my luggage between my legs, due to a weekend strike because of the lack of trains running on the weekend. I made sure I never not booked a seat again on another train EVER. I got on the wrong S-Bahn train so it didn't stop at the stop in Aying where I needed to get off; my German was 🙄and out in the countryside, English was much less common, French or Italian, hit /miss, mostly miss, it's Bavaria. Took awhile, but I got to my gasthaus...walked past gorgeous homes and gardens, worked up a hearty appetite to satisfy at a local restaurant where I indeed spoke Italian...they thought I was French; had a blast. These are a few small examples.

Ultimately, not always so bad when things go wrong (hello trip insurance). Initially...there's the staying calm (trying to!) figuring it out,  accept/acknowledge "this isn't great" moments. But nearly everything is fixable,  and even what isn't eventually gets better.  😊

Be prepared. Things will probably be ok. Just keep on going. 

Hi,

I've not used this forum before, so patience please !

Reading through this thread, am I right in thinking that this new service is seasonal & won't start again until April ?

Did anyone who used the Express train last year experience any difficulties getting to the station in time, allowing for the fact that both a port shuttle & a separate bus to the station are needed ?

Which is the better station in Rome to get to the major sites easily ?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, the Civitavecchia Express is a seasonal service.

You shouldn't have a problem making the train, it leaves pretty late.  You may wind up cooling your heels waiting for it, depending on the time of your ship arrival.

Which station to use in Rome depends on what you're going to see.  For the Vatican area, the first stop (San Pietro) is best.  For the Colosseum and Roman Forum area the second stop (Ostiense) is better.