Upgrade email

Moerin78

Just got an email upgrade offer from a VH deck 4 (obstructed view) to VA deck 5 midship for our Mar 6th cruise on the Koningsdam! I grabbed it without even consulting my husband!   

Edited by Moerin78
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, highlandmom said:

That and get out of all of the snow here in Ottawa!!! 

That's what we thought too, and returned home yesterday to the 30-40 cm snowfall we are experiencing today. Of course, this is just a little dusting of snow compared to the 95.5 cm we enjoyed in Halifax with White Juan back in 2004! :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Congratulations!  We, too, are on the March 6th sailing.  Look forward to meeting you at the Meet & Greet.

This is our first time to not book a "Guarantee".  In the past, we have been fortunate to have had nice upgrades.  But we have never sailed on the Koningsdam and wanted a cabin with a little deeper veranda.  So, we took the plunge and booked a specific cabin mid-ship. Had a lot of help with knowledgeable Cruise Critic members in the selection.  Thanks again to them.

Can't wait!!  Even though we are in Central Texas, and our cold is like a mild winter to many of you, we are looking forward to a nice get away.

Received an email upsell offer on Monday (9 days out) for next week's 17-day Eurodam Hawaii sailing. VH guarantee to Neptune for $1019 pp. (upsell to SS was $769). Took about 30 minutes from the time I received the email to contact the TA and HAL. Glad I didn't linger any longer because by the time we got through on the phone there was only 1 NS left. Very pleased because between the price we originally paid for the VH guarantee and NS upgrade it came to $2500 pp for 17 days. 

Am I to assume upsells to NS don't count toward Mariner status?

Unfortunately, upsells to NS don't count towards Mariner status. 

My cruise is just a few days after the OP's. I'm going to have to start stalking my email. I'm in a balcony guarantee. I've got my fingers crossed for a nice upgrade or upsell. 

29 minutes ago, boulders said:

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't think it would, and it really wouldn't be fair to those that paid retail. 

Good luck to all hoping/waiting for upsells. We are 3 for 3 with upsell offers in 2018/19. They must know we're suckers. 

Edited by BEAV

3 hours ago, boulders said:

My cruise is just a few days after the OP's. I'm going to have to start stalking my email. I'm in a balcony guarantee. I've got my fingers crossed for a nice upgrade or upsell. 

Not necessarily true. We had an upsell to a suite on HAL and when an advertised price on their web site went below our cost by approx $3 we got the double points. Had a screen capture of the price and had to call Mariner Society to get it though.

Our cruise is coming up shortly.  We're booked as a guarantee currently, and, of course, I'm sort of hoping for an upsell offer.  An upgrade would be better, but I'm open to an upsell.  Only question is have is (and I don't want anyone to be too specific, if it's not allowed), what's a ballpark figure that marks a "good" upsell offer for, say, to a verandah?  It's a 28 night cruise and we're currently in a partially obstructed oceanview.  

I had an upsell offer a few years ago from an outside to a verandah. I believe the amount was $700 pp for a 21 night cruise. I was also offered an upsell to a Neptune for $2200 pp. I took the Neptune, because there were 4 of us and we couldn't fit into their available verandahs. So, for the verandah, that works out to about  $67/day. For a 28 night cruise, I'd expect in the range of $900-$1000 pp for a verandah. 

That's for the offer. Whether or not it is "good" is up to you. IMO, it's worth about $75/day (total) for a balcony. Some people value them higher or won't sail without them at all. 

Edited by boulders

10 minutes ago, boulders said:

I had an upsell offer a few years ago from an outside to a verandah. I believe the amount was $700 pp for a 21 night cruise. I was also offered an upsell to a Neptune for $2200 pp. I took the Neptune, because there were 4 of us and we couldn't fit into their available verandahs. So, for the verandah, that works out to about  $67/day. For a 28 night cruise, I'd expect in the range of $900-$1000 pp for a verandah. 

That's for the offer. Whether or not it is "good" is up to you. IMO, it's worth about $75/day (total) for a balcony. Some people value them higher or won't sail without them at all. 

Thanks.

From what we were told if you are already in a suite (Vista or Signature) and upgrade/upsell to Neptune you get the double points.  Normally if you are in an inside, ocean view or regular balcony and get an upsell/upgrade, you don’t.  However, with HAL, you never know!  

• 1 month later...

Well, poo.  I upgraded to a Signature really only FOR the double Mariner points!!!!!  I hadn't even CONSIDERED I wouldn't get them.  😞

I should have read the fine print.  (self-owning font needed here)

Just sent my hubs the email: good news/bad news.  Good news!!!  We have a FABULOUS cabin!!!  Bad news: not double points.  my bad.  

published fare.jpg

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

2 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Well, poo.  I upgraded to a Signature really only FOR the double Mariner points!!!!!  I hadn't even CONSIDERED I wouldn't get them.  😞

I should have read the fine print.  (self-owning font needed here)

Just sent my hubs the email: good news/bad news.  Good news!!!  We have a FABULOUS cabin!!!  Bad news: not double points.  my bad.  

published fare.jpg

OMG! 

I have also done that! Learned the hard way BUT what a nice stateroom 

Denise😊