Hotels in Venice Italy

cape cruising

3 hours ago, cape cruising said:

WE are going on Royal caribbean  rhapsody of the seas may 11th to the 18th. Can any one recommend a hotel in Venice.

Thanks,

Cape Crusing

You need to first determine what you are willing to pay and determine if that is a reasonable amount. You're not staying in Venice Italy for $49 a night.

Go to google. On the upper right hand side you'll see 3 periods (…), click on that and then click on Private Mode. (This helps keep you from being bombarded with hotel advertisements)

Google hotels in Venice Italy with the dates you want.

Narrow it down, then come back and see if we can give more info.

Take into account how much luggage you have. After that, take into account the location of your hotel. Venice is NOT friendly for luggage. You may be carrying your luggage up and over 5 bridges with stair steps to get to your hotel. Or, a water taxi might be able to just pull up to the entrance.

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Take into account how much luggage you have. After that, take into account the location of your hotel. Venice is NOT friendly for luggage. You may be carrying your luggage up and over 5 bridges with stair steps to get to your hotel. Or, a water taxi might be able to just pull up to the entrance.

If your first trip Venice, what Klfrodo says above is really important.   The place is going to be completely mind-boggling to most first time visitors.   For our first visit many (MANY) years ago we stayed at Hotel Bellini, which is right there a few steps from the train station.  We liked it way back when but I can't say what it is like currently.    Now that we have been to Venice several times, we would be much more comfortable getting to other areas for lodging.  Unfortunately, none of those other visits involved staying in a Venice hotel, so I can't recommend anything else.    

PS: Lots of great gelato places in Venice!  You won't have trouble finding them.  :classic_biggrin:

Assuming you will want to see something - Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth is just a few steps from San Marco - and, if you are flying to Venice, is a great way to arrive - come by boat (Alialaguna) from the airport— across the lagoon, in stead of a grim bus. The boat ( Blue Line, I believe) let’s you off right across the promenade fro the hotel.  

Do a little research on line to confirm prices, schedules, and which line.

i hope you are planning to spend at least two nights in Venice.  How many times do you expect to get there?

I stayed at the Hotel Olimpia, a Best Western, property a few years ago. It's located on a small canal close to the Piazzale Roma, which is where the transportation hub for Venice is located and where the buses to/from the airport arrive/depart. It only required toting our luggage over 2 smaller bridges. One of the plusses is that it is also close the People Mover that transports people from the Piazzale to the port. We were boarding a Princess ship, and once we arrived on the People Mover, they had a truck waiting to take our luggage to the ship, and a bus to transport us shipside. I have no idea whether other cruise lines offer a similar service.

The hotel isn't huge, but the rooms are comfortable, the bathrooms very modern, and it has an elevator. (I have heard that some of the smaller hotels don't have elevators, which would be a definite inconvenience for many of us.) They offer a very nice breakfast buffet with a good selection of items.

It wasn't cheap, but getting to stay right IN Venice was wonderful, so it was worth every penny. My 3rd floor room overlooked the canal, and it was delightful to stand at the window and look out over the city.

Quaint, wonderful breakfast, close to St Mark's and canal, has  good elevators, nice balconies with nice Italian accents. mahogany and tapestry throughout. we stayed at the La Forcola.

fyi...A forcola is the rudder on a gondola

Edited by JMorris271

Another plus for Bellini, ask the hotel to organise a porter to take your luggage to the people mover.  He arrives with a wooden hand cart, loads it on and away up and over the “glass” bridge. We were hurrying to keep up with him, can’t remember exactly what the cost was but very reasonable.  I gave him extra as the thought of me lugging that luggage was scary.

2 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Quaint, wonderful breakfast, close to St Mark's and canal, has  good elevators, nice balconies with nice Italian accents. mahogany and tapestry throughout. we stayed at the La Forcola.

fyi...A forcola is the rudder on a gondola

Gondolas do not have rudders — I think you are referring to the high, ornate oar lock which supports the gondolier’s oar, acting as a fulcrum.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Gondolas do not have rudders — I think you are referring to the high, ornate oar lock which supports the gondolier’s oar, acting as a fulcrum.

Thanks for the correction. I spoke too generally.  My memory failed me.

My info on that hotel is spot on however.

Edited by JMorris271

7 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Those gondoliers sure make sculling look a lot easier than it is, at least for me.  But then,  I'm pretty sure they get a lot more practice than I do.  And, they sing better than I do too.    I would be looking for a place to mount an outboard.  :classic_biggrin:  

Edit; P:; i definitely agree with your earlier comment about staying a couple nights if possible.  Venice is a one of a kind place and well worth the visit.  

Edited by ldubs

We were just in Venice last Fall and the people Mover charge was charging 1.5 Euros per person each way (if you are doing a round trip it's easiest to just go ahead and buy both tickets at one time). Tickets are purchased from machines on the ground level, either with Euros or credit cards.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:54 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Assuming you will want to see something - Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth is just a few steps from San Marco - and, if you are flying to Venice, is a great way to arrive - come by boat (Alialaguna) from the airport— across the lagoon, in stead of a grim bus. The boat ( Blue Line, I believe) let’s you off right across the promenade fro the hotel.  

Do a little research on line to confirm prices, schedules, and which line.

i hope you are planning to spend at least two nights in Venice.  How many times do you expect to get there?

Our first time in Venice, a week in 2007, was a work related trip, no cruise involved. The organizer put us in the Gabrielli Sandwirth. An elegant old place, not a Hilton or Marriott clone. Very nice if you can afford it! If you do go there, then at least once when you exit the front door, turn left rather than heading for San Marco. Go past the small canal leading to the Admiralty, then bear left along a fairly wide street with many nice restaurants. Off the usual tourist beaten track.

Stan