Regent World Cruises

Floridiana

55 minutes ago, cwn said:

Wendy,

The cooling cloth that HotRoot has mentioned was a life saver for us last year. I got them on Amazon.It is a rectangle piece of fabric that when wet is amazing cooling. It comes in its own container and is compact when dry. When you need it, wet the cloth and put it around your neck.  Wet it with your water bottle or before you leave and pack in a zip-lock baggie. Dick had a bout of heat exhaustion in Bali and it saved the day until we got him back to the ship. 

Speaking on places to see. Pago Pago is one of our island favorites...having been there twice. One time we joined a local bus group to go to a beach and last time we rented a local taxi. There is not much to see, it is really the people and the laid island back lifestyle. BUT We do know if we are ever back this way, we will see if we can arrange for a driver and explore the WWII treasures that are on the Island. The tourist center gave us a brochure on American Samoa’s US Naval and WWII History. It has a detailed tour mapped out of all the Installations on the Island, many are accessible by car. That is right up Dick’s alley! From my 2018WC Blog.

I would suggest if you really want to see someplace important to you, do a private tour. Research the area and email some tour groups, we have found some good recommendations on the port section of CC. While we did many Regent no cost tours that were fine to very good last year, in some ports that were really important to us, we rented a car or hired a private car and driver/guide. A case in point is Bali. We hired a car and driver/guide we had used before and saw much much more, more comfortably than even the additional cost tours did. Also check out what you can do for yourself on the overland tours especially in ports with good air service, just to compare cost if nothing else. Though we have done a Regent overland tour on the Circle SA cruise and it was well done. Also be sure to talk to people on your roll call about private tours.

Carolyn

Okay, cool Carolyn, thank you so much!  Found the cooling clothes on Amazon.  Will file this away for future reference.

Nice to know you can find something good to do on Pago Pago.  We love Polynesia, so we're used to being laid back and people-watching.  I'm sure we'll find something.

And yes, Bali is the place that I want to arrange our own visit.  Since Bali is well-connected by air, I suspect it would be easy to fly from there to Singapore; if so, we could extend our visit to 4 night, stay up in Ubud, tour around, and still get to Singapore to have our two days there before going on to Malaysia.  Fortunately I have two s-i-l's whose brains I can pick on this subject, plus my brother, who admittedly prefers to bright lights of Kuta Beach.  The resort that Jackie referred to in Denpasar does look gorgeous, but I' like to get out and see the 'real' Bali.  My big regret is that I didn't get there 30 years ago or so.

At the moment we're booked on three Overland trips, but may take just one, or none.  One is overland, overnight from Dunedin to Milford, with overnight in Queenstown I think.  On balance, I think this one would be a good trip, since we would still be able to cruise down the Sound after re-boarding Mariner.

And I'm not sure I'd go private in Egypt (wouldn't in India either, but my information is dated, I know, and my good cruise buddies did a great private trip there a few years ago.)  I would just worry about logistical screw-ups, i.e., missing the ship.  So if I hadn't already done a Nile cruise with Luxor, etc., I'd do the Regent Overland there for sure.

Hot off the press.  We have been lazy today.  It is raining.  Cabin Steward came to do evening service.  We were watching a movie.  He left passages.  It says

Crew Gift Certificates - Our warm and friendly crew always aims to go above and beyond to make your cruise.  Now there's another way for you to recognize those crew members that made your experiences even more memorable.  As a part of a new program, you can reward crew members for particularly exceptional service with an onboard gift certificate.  Visit Reception for details and to purchase.

Do not know if this is just for the World Cruise.

3 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Hot off the press.  We have been lazy today.  It is raining.  Cabin Steward came to do evening service.  We were watching a movie.  He left passages.  It says

Crew Gift Certificates - Our warm and friendly crew always aims to go above and beyond to make your cruise.  Now there's another way for you to recognize those crew members that made your experiences even more memorable.  As a part of a new program, you can reward crew members for particularly exceptional service with an onboard gift certificate.  Visit Reception for details and to purchase.

Interesting.  I wonder how the staff member would go about redeeming said gift certificate.

3 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

WOW - I thought that individual 'monetary' recognition was not encouraged by Regent...rather, a contribution to the general Crew Fund would be an appropriate way to show thanks.

As Wendy mentioned it is worth the time to go to Ubud which is in the the north and much cooler due to elevation.  We have stayed at two fantastic hotels there.  The Four Seasons and the new Ritz Carlton are fantastic.  Denpasar is more for the beaches and partying night life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

WOW - I thought that individual 'monetary' recognition was not encouraged by Regent...rather, a contribution to the general Crew Fund would be an appropriate way to show thanks.

Yeah, no pressure, eh?  I don't like this idea much, and hope it's just something they thought up for the WC, maybe to stop people from buying little gifts for staff when they'd rather be able to choose something for themselves.

4 hours ago, HotRoot said:

It is a wonderful idea IF you can use OBC's to purchase the gift certificate!  I cannot imagine how much one would need to give for such a long cruise.  

Edited by Travelcat2

My concern with this new policy would be whether the only way for the crew member to use the gift certificate was in the over-priced but limited choice ships' boutiques.  If that were to be the case, then cash to a crew member to spend as he/she wished in a port would be much more useful.  In any event, the whole idea seems to diminish the much-debated notion of Regent not encouraging tipping.

• Like 1

Last night we saw the most fantastic show we have ever seen on a cruise ship.  Two of the singers produced and performed it.  No need for guest entertainers on this ship.  The singers and dancers are better.  If they sell a Cd/DVD we will buy it.  With that said, I was going to ask about the new gift certificate deal at Reception but the show just blew us out of the water.  We went to the after show party.  I will get more info today after our tour.  I assume the gift certificates can be used in the crew bar and dining room.  I do not think crew is allowed in the boutique.  We like to play the games.  Have more Regent Reward Points than we will ever use.  The last two legs we bought tumblers and gave them to the crew.  It seems they are not allowed to take a glass from the crew dining room.  They all use the tumblers so they can carry a drink with them.  This leg I will have a crew member take them below deck and pass them out.  Crew does have to pay for their own drinks in the crew bar.  They also have to pay for haircuts in the salon.  Will report back.

• Like 1

On a recent Grand Voyage, one of the stewards was from Goa.  His passengers got together and arranged to make their own beds etc. for the day they were in Goa so he could get the entire day off to see his family. Regent agreed.  That sounds a lot nicer and less fraught than the gift certificates. Other similar ways of showing appreciation that only involve some minimal non-monetary effort seem possible.

• Like 3

Got the answer to the new crew gift certificates.  You cannot use OBC of any kind.  You cannot charge to your room.  You give them cash and they will give you the gift certificates.   The crew can use them in the spa, boutiques, and for internet.  Sounds like just giving them cash is a better option.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Got the answer to the new crew gift certificates.  You cannot use OBC of any kind.  You cannot charge to your room.  You give them cash and they will give you the gift certificates.   The crew can use them in the spa, boutiques, and for internet.  Sounds like just giving them cash is a better option.

I do hope this is only for the world cruise.  It is very contrary to written policy that gratuities are included. 

• Like 1

This makes things confusing. We are told tips included but I imagine there now might be pressure to tip. It might seem natural for a crew member to work harder for those that tip. In the past we have given tips at the end of a cruise to exceptional staff or to the cruise fund for an exceptional overall cruise. I like this to be my choice and a surprise not an expectation.

i personally like the idea of doing what you can to give attendants etc a day off in their home town. When we did a back to back cruise we told our attendant to just change out towels and forget the rest of our suite. She seemed genuinely touched by our awareness of a busy day. I hope these small acts of kindness are meaningful.

• Like 2

These gift certificates sound too restrictive for the crew, giving cash sounds better. That said I believe Regent when they say tips are included and would never feel pressured to give extra. As for kindness I always treat all as I would like to be treated.

Atlantic is very rough.  Fortunately we enjoy the motion of the ocean.  We have been told 20% of the ship is sick.  We have changed routes trying to get away from two storms.  We are also packing.  Swells are 12 feet according to our television.

Thanks for update.  I would assume it may take longer to get our cabins in NYC since half of the ship have been in their suites for almost 5 months.  Seems like there would be extra tidying up needed. 

Edited by rcandkc
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Thanks for update.  I would assume it may take longer to get our cabins in NYC since half of the ship have been in their suites for almost 5 months.  Seems like there would be extra tidying up needed. 

Yes, I'm sure you're right.  I was thinking that at the end of the 2021 cruise, we won't have the luxury of a transatlantic crossing to pack, since the cruise ends in Barcelona.  On the other hand, the ship will go into drydock right afterwards, so hopefully the soft refit will include the cabins and there'll be no need for massive cleanups

I do worry about the packing up part, however, since we'll be in the Med and doing some nice ports in the last week of the cruise.  Oh well, shouldn't complain, should I?

The Captain just announced we are turning around and heading into a storm to assist a sailing ship sending out a distress call.  We have sped up which makes the seas feel wilder.  He anticipates being along side the ship in a little more than two hours.  The US Coast Guard told us to go help as we are the closest ship.  Will keep you updated.  

Our current location is just east of the Sargasso Sea..

2 hours ago, HotRoot said:

The Captain just announced we are turning around and heading into a storm to assist a sailing ship sending out a distress call.  We have sped up which makes the seas feel wilder.  He anticipates being along side the ship in a little more than two hours.  The US Coast Guard told us to go help as we are the closest ship.  Will keep you updated.  

Our current location is just east of the Sargasso Sea..

Good luck with the seas and the assist!  We have been on a ship that helped a small vessel. So important out there. 

Edited by rcandkc
Spelling.

We were halfway there and the Coast Guard told us to turn around.  They had communicated with the ship and they no longer needed assistance.  These are the roughest waters we have ever been in.  Worse than the Drake Passage.  We have to hold on to something when we walk.  Our lunch table in La Veranda was on two legs.   We had to push it back to the floor.  The Captain told us to plan on rough seas for another 24 hours.  A cooking demonstration was cancelled.  We are rocking port to starboard.

51 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Hang onto your hats, guys.  We had rough weather on our one transatlantic, so I don't envy you.  Are these the worst seas of the WC, or did you experience worse in the Pacific, or the Tasman Sea, perhaps?

Worst seas ever.  Pacific was a little rough but nothing like this.  Lots of broken glasses and liquor bottles.  Splash is hitting up to Deck 7.  The crew is using wheelchairs to move passengers around the ship.