Regent World Cruises

Floridiana

I do think a shorter cruise attracts a different clientele--generally younger and still working so not able to take as much time to travel.  And that definitely does change the general vibe onboard, not necessarily good or bad.  On some longer cruises, my husband has complained that he was at a nursing home.

In over 200 days onboard Regent, I have never played a deck game either.  But there is plenty to do.  Just not my thing.

3 hours ago, cwn said:

We spent 131 days on the ship and neither of us played any deck games!! But some of the people lived for them, partly because of the Regent bucks they could earn. They saved them till the end of the cruise...that was a lot of t-shirts LOL. We never were wanting for things to do with out the deck games.

Also it was interesting to see what kind of passenger mix we would get with each new segment. We did a Grand Voyage on the Mariner, and even though it is a larger ship, there was difference in the vibe of the ship on each segment that we could feel. But actual that too was part of the fun!

It will be interesting to meet new people as new segments start, for sure.

I got a visor that doesn't really fit me, and a travel luggage scale that's not very useful, for all my trivia and music trivia wins on Mariner.  There's little merch of interest that I've seen.  Doesn't mean I won't do trivia--we particularly love music trivia--hope we get someone good to run those games!

3 hours ago, RachelG said:

I do think a shorter cruise attracts a different clientele--generally younger and still working so not able to take as much time to travel. ...

It is interesting that some can decide that a 12-day cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore is a "shorter cruise."  That certainly is far from my definition. Particularly on Regent and for most folks half-way around the planet.

5 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

It is interesting that some can decide that a 12-day cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore is a "shorter cruise."  That certainly is far from my definition. Particularly on Regent and for most folks half-way around the planet.

I consider anything less than 2 weeks a shorter cruise.  And if you live in Australia or Asia, travel times would not be so long, so yes, that is a relatively shorter cruise.  I have seen a huge difference in the average cruiser on a 7 day cruise vs an 18 day cruise, no matter where in the world.  The longer cruises just have an older clientele.

16 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Although it is a short segment, perhaps you can turn it into a teachable moment. Have a required session in the lounge for the seggies where you can instruct them on how to act and what to wear.  Considering their brutish nature, as you have described, you may wish to have an armed guard.  Otherwise they may attack and tear you to pieces with their bare hands.

I got blasted for my thoughts here.  I would never try for a face to face.  Don't know what Flossie had for dinner but we had egg yolk ravioli and lobster tempura with a table of World Cruisers.  We shared with the segmenters at the next table.  They were disappointed they do not have enough days left to order their own.  Enjoyable evening in Stars Lounge.  I think the shorttimers prefer Gilileo's.  Thank you to those of you who understood what I was saying.  We did not notice a change in the vibe for the second and third legs.  Will let you know how Leg #5 feels next week.  We are off the ship in two hours and will overnight in Bangkok.  After 70 days, we are looking forward to a change of pace.  We made our plans with Destinations.  More expensive but we are now a Regent excursion and the ship will wait for us if we get stuck in traffic.

We had very good selections from yesterday’s dinner menu in Compass Rose.

There is still plenty of time to order a special menu as the Chef only requires 24 hours notice (apart from Miso glazed Sea Bass which needs 48hrs marinating)

This “shortimer” likes all the bars on Navigator but I agree that the long bar in Stars is the best.

Hope those overnighting in Bangkok have a good time.

@HotRoot. We will be on the Voyager in Cecember and want to stay overnight in Bangkok, too.  I was thinking of booking our own transportation and hotel but am worried about missing the ship if we are on our own. <What did the destination desk arrange for you and did you book it when you were aboard the ship?  Looking forward to reading about your experience. Enjoy the rest of the cruise 

23 hours ago, flossie009 said:

We had very good selections from yesterday’s dinner menu in Compass Rose.

There is still plenty of time to order a special menu as the Chef only requires 24 hours notice (apart from Miso glazed Sea Bass which needs 48hrs marinating)

This “shortimer” likes all the bars on Navigator but I agree that the long bar in Stars is the best.

Hope those overnighting in Bangkok have a good time.

We have been told they need extra time for the ravioli and lobster.  One Chef cooks all special orders and these dishes take him more time to prepare.  So, he needs advance notice to make sure he doesn't have too many special orders that night.  We have made our requests and told the Chef to pick the night.

7 hours ago, greenolaker said:

@HotRoot. We will be on the Voyager in Cecember and want to stay overnight in Bangkok, too.  I was thinking of booking our own transportation and hotel but am worried about missing the ship if we are on our own. <What did the destination desk arrange for you and did you book it when you were aboard the ship?  Looking forward to reading about your experience. Enjoy the rest of the cruise 

Regent offered a free tour called Bangkok on your own.  It dropped us at a mall in the Central District.  We made our own hotel reservations.  The second day we had Regent hire us a van, driver, and guide.  We were picked up at our hotel at 8 am.  The van took us to the Reclining Buddha.  After that we walked and took boats.  We saw the Temple of Dawn, canal boat ride, barge museum, Emerald Buddha, and Grand Palace.  We did not like the restaurant selection so had the van come back to get us and take us to a cleaner restaurant.  Then we were brought back to the port.  The van, driver, and guide cost us $899.  We divided it by 6.  We each paid our own admission fees which were about $60 per person.  We paid for our own meal.  When we arrived at the ship, the crew was lining the walkway.  We had a band playing and drinks being served.  Someone took our umbrellas (it was raining when we left), someone else our suitcase.  We really felt welcomed back.  If you dock in downtown Bangkok (Silver Shadow was), it would be much easier and much cheaper.  We have been to Bangkok but the other two couples had not.  We had never done the canal ride or Barge Museum so we did see something different.  Some people booked the Bangkok on your own for both days.  They took the ride in and then caught the ride back on the second day.  If you do not want to see the sights, this would work.  But it is no where near the temples so you would waste time the second day getting back to the mall to meet the bus.  Questions?  Ask away.

• Like 1

Just remembered two things - the day the Chef said he would make the dishes, the couple had Prime 7 reservations.

We paid for our van, etc. with onboard credit.  One couple paid for our hotel stay and dinner.  The other gave us $300 US.

7 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Regent offered a free tour called Bangkok on your own.  It dropped us at a mall in the Central District.  We made our own hotel reservations.  The second day we had Regent hire us a van, driver, and guide.  We were picked up at our hotel at 8 am.  The van took us to the Reclining Buddha.  After that we walked and took boats.  We saw the Temple of Dawn, canal boat ride, barge museum, Emerald Buddha, and Grand Palace.  We did not like the restaurant selection so had the van come back to get us and take us to a cleaner restaurant.  Then we were brought back to the port.  The van, driver, and guide cost us $899.  We divided it by 6.  We each paid our own admission fees which were about $60 per person.  We paid for our own meal.  When we arrived at the ship, the crew was lining the walkway.  We had a band playing and drinks being served.  Someone took our umbrellas (it was raining when we left), someone else our suitcase.  We really felt welcomed back.  If you dock in downtown Bangkok (Silver Shadow was), it would be much easier and much cheaper.  We have been to Bangkok but the other two couples had not.  We had never done the canal ride or Barge Museum so we did see something different.  Some people booked the Bangkok on your own for both days.  They took the ride in and then caught the ride back on the second day.  If you do not want to see the sights, this would work.  But it is no where near the temples so you would waste time the second day getting back to the mall to meet the bus.  Questions?  Ask away.

Thanks for all of the tips. Really helpful in planning our Bangkok overnight. 

Last night we had a production show at 6 pm.  We have seen this show numerous times.  It is still fantastic.  Preshow a man came into the theater dressed in gym shorts and a t shirt.  The waiter told him he was not dressed correctly.  The man said he did not care.  We were walking by and heard the conversation.  The waiter did not serve him.  A bar manager asked him to go to his cabin and change.  He refused.  His choice of clothing and attitude did not ruin our show.  Learned later there was another man dressed the same in the balcony.  We have been assured both will leave the ship in Singapore (tomorrow).  The next leg is 20 days.  We hope the vibe of the ship goes back to where it was pre Hong Kong.  340 people off tomorrow and 340 people back on.  Beatles party last night was fantastic.  This 12 night cruise had it all - deck party, four production shows, Beatles night.  The previous three legs did not.  Not sure how they jammed everything into 12 nights with only 3 seas day when they were not able to on the previous 3 legs.  

We just had a Miami to Miami Voyager cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. Andy and Tammy were great as CD and Social Hostess. Tammy did crafts every sea day. They will be on the 2020 World Cruise as replacements for Jamie and Dana. We are signed up for that and are looking forward to the adventure.  Am enjoying this thread. 

12 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Last night we had a production show at 6 pm.  We have seen this show numerous times.  It is still fantastic.  Preshow a man came into the theater dressed in gym shorts and a t shirt.  The waiter told him he was not dressed correctly.  The man said he did not care.  We were walking by and heard the conversation.  The waiter did not serve him.  A bar manager asked him to go to his cabin and change.  He refused.  His choice of clothing and attitude did not ruin our show.  Learned later there was another man dressed the same in the balcony.  We have been assured both will leave the ship in Singapore (tomorrow).  The next leg is 20 days.  We hope the vibe of the ship goes back to where it was pre Hong Kong.  340 people off tomorrow and 340 people back on.  Beatles party last night was fantastic.  This 12 night cruise had it all - deck party, four production shows, Beatles night.  The previous three legs did not.  Not sure how they jammed everything into 12 nights with only 3 seas day when they were not able to on the previous 3 legs.  

I don’t understand such behavior as the terribly underdressed man refusing to change.  I can’t imagine his children’s behavior if he has any. Sad. 

Singapore to Dubai

Last night the dress coat was completely ignored.  As the last night of the cruise it was called Relaxed Casual with a definition of no shorts, jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, baseball caps, and bathrobes.  So many people had on shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops it was impossible for the crew to do a thing about it.  We ate in Prime 7 so do not know if they let them in the dining room or not.  We have been told 340 off and back on today.

I totally object to shorts and sandals on the last night or any night and won’t even dress like that to the grocery store.  Jeans on the last night and you are traveling in them and your bags are packed for the next morning I find OK.  That is my opinion..

30 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

Singapore to Dubai

Last night the dress coat was completely ignored.  As the last night of the cruise it was called Relaxed Casual with a definition of no shorts, jeans, t-shirts, tennis shoes, baseball caps, and bathrobes.  So many people had on shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops it was impossible for the crew to do a thing about it.  We ate in Prime 7 so do not know if they let them in the dining room or not.  We have been told 340 off and back on today.

On our cruise that ended March 9th, Regent was very specific about no shorts.  We did see very sloppy clothing - jeans, etc. but no shorts, baseball caps or bathrobes.  We always dine in a specialty restaurant on the last night as we find CR to be a zoo.

In terms of WC'ers and segmenters, we have a friend that does WC's (and is on the Navigator at the moment).  She is lovely and would never treat a segmenter poorly.  On the other hand, many WC'ers have sailed with each other many times and it is natural that they would want to hang out together.  When we sail with her, we know that she is with her "group" most nights and we are happy for the time that we are able to spend with her.  

Edited by Travelcat2

Crisp tailored neat black jeans are not sloppy on a final night when you are packed and suitcases are out for pickup.  Sorry to disagree.  The disembarking guest are going to wear the same clothes for their departure flights.  Even Seabourn the most formal recognizes this on the final night..  

I think jeans are allowed under relax casual..But not shorts.  I forgot about last night stuff. 

For the record...it is very hot in Texas in summer and I do wear long( to knee) shorts to the grocery store.  I’m older ...have to wear longer shorts to feel appropriate.  Shorts are common...it is 95 to 100+ outside and you are just running to store.  Do I wear shorts to dinner, no. 

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

On our cruise that ended March 9th, Regent was very specific about no shorts.  We did see very sloppy clothing - jeans, etc. but no shorts, baseball caps or bathrobes.  We always dine in a specialty restaurant on the last night as we find CR to be a zoo.

In terms of WC'ers and segmenters, we have a friend that does WC's (and is on the Navigator at the moment).  She is lovely and would never treat a segmenter poorly.  On the other hand, many WC'ers have sailed with each other many times and it is natural that they would want to hang out together.  When we sail with her, we know that she is with her "group" most nights and we are happy for the time that we are able to spend with her.  

I have not heard of any Segmenters being treated poorly by any WCers.  Everyone we met from the last segment was very nice.  We just ignored the people who misbehaved so never met them.  We have World Cruisers who misbehave, too.  They cheat at Mensa and Trivia.  How do you cheat at trivia?  You erase your incorrect answer and write in the correct answer.  Then you claim the table grading your paper could not read your handwriting.  The next group has boarded and so far everyone is well behaved.  We have three port days next so probably won't get to really meet anybody unless we are on tour together.

9 hours ago, HotRoot said:

I have not heard of any Segmenters being treated poorly by any WCers.  Everyone we met from the last segment was very nice.  We just ignored the people who misbehaved so never met them.  We have World Cruisers who misbehave, too.  They cheat at Mensa and Trivia.  How do you cheat at trivia?  You erase your incorrect answer and write in the correct answer.  Then you claim the table grading your paper could not read your handwriting.  The next group has boarded and so far everyone is well behaved.  We have three port days next so probably won't get to really meet anybody unless we are on tour together.

Cheating at trivia is one reason why we stopped playing (the other was some people thinking that they "own" a table for trivia and  you dare not sit there (even when no one is there when you arrive).  While we did not see people changing answers, we did see a women that appeared to be knitting or crocheting and had a bunch of papers that she would sneakily refer to when a question was asked (and they usually won).  

18 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

I totally object to shorts and sandals on the last night or any night and won’t even dress like that to the grocery store.  Jeans on the last night and you are traveling in them and your bags are packed for the next morning I find OK.  That is my opinion..

And you live in South Florida?  I don't wear shorts much any more, but when I'm in Florida, I'm mainly wearing sandals, capris and a t-shirt.  But then I don't live in a big city, but a small resort area.