Regent World Cruises

Floridiana

Thanks for the comments. You are confirming my gut feeling about not over dressing. I think slacks and nice tops will be my dress code. I do have a few knit short dresses. DH may or may not bring sport coat. We have a warm weather cruise and I will bring only a few warmer clothes for South New Zealand, one of which will be what I wear on the flight from Atlanta to Miami. I think less is more. I do worry about gaining weight and not fitting into the clothes I bring😳.Thankfully I wear a lot of forgiving knits. You have confirmed that you get sick of the heavy food. 

DH will be my packing problem. He loves photography and will have a case of stuff. I just keep it simple with an iphone. He will bring a computer, me an iPad. He also hope to rig the tv to look at photos. I can tell we will be negotiating shelf space. We also like to hike but due to his history of joint replacement he will pack his walking sticks.... packing will be a challenge.

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

We traded in our wooden hangars for wire ones on the ship.  No need to bring your own.

Thanks for your descriptions of your cabin challenges.  I've read about a couple of people on O who brought those felted hangers that you can buy in packs at Costco to replace the usual bulky wooden ones.  I'm still thinking about that--we have luggage shipment for this cruise.

I'm also thinking about a simple file holder, you know, a vertical cardboard thing to hold all the cruise paper you get.

We had never been to Israel so had time to arrange our own 3 day/2 night private tour with Guided Tours Israel.  That was a cheaper option than booking with Regent.

Thanks, that's very interesting.  We're currently booked on an overnight trip with Regent, but would definitely look at alternatives, especially if we can find another couple or so to share with.  Was this just the two of you?

We have those rags you wet and snap and put around your neck.  We have lots of fans.  We have a bottle with a sprayer.  Sometimes just pour the bottle of water over your head.

Wow.  Trying to picture the rag you're talking about.  Plenty of water by the sounds of it, in whatever forms!

Have fun at the show!

1 hour ago, travelwell said:

Thanks for the comments. You are confirming my gut feeling about not over dressing. I think slacks and nice tops will be my dress code. I do have a few knit short dresses. DH may or may not bring sport coat. We have a warm weather cruise and I will bring only a few warmer clothes for South New Zealand, one of which will be what I wear on the flight from Atlanta to Miami. I think less is more. I do worry about gaining weight and not fitting into the clothes I bring😳.Thankfully I wear a lot of forgiving knits. You have confirmed that you get sick of the heavy food. 

DH will be my packing problem. He loves photography and will have a case of stuff. I just keep it simple with an iphone. He will bring a computer, me an iPad. He also hope to rig the tv to look at photos. I can tell we will be negotiating shelf space. We also like to hike but due to his history of joint replacement he will pack his walking sticks.... packing will be a challenge.

I will be the one with the laptop I think.  At least I don't think David will bring his, one will be enough I think along with his tablets and our phones (my phone stands in for a tablet)

I have to get this weight thing sorted out, not doing very well at the moment with that.  I hate yo yo diets, but...I worry about not getting enough activity in, but I do love walking the track onboard, staring out to sea.

Do they have telescoping walking sticks?  Then they could just go in the suitcase?  We'll be bringing at least one cane along I think, just in case.  But since we'll most likely be driving to port in Miami, none of this should be a problem.

Wendy, we are booked on the Israel overnight as well but will probably switch to a private tour. Of course 2021 only has 1 overnight/ 2 days in Israel. Seems too early to book anything.

1 hour ago, Sharle said:

Wendy, we are booked on the Israel overnight as well but will probably switch to a private tour. Of course 2021 only has 1 overnight/ 2 days in Israel. Seems too early to book anything.

Yep, for sure.  A year from now I guess.

We had two nights in Israel.  Guided Tours Israel charged $500 per person for the three days of touring.  We picked and paid for our own hotel.  Four of us went.  Regent had a 2 day/1 night tour.  We saw more than they did.  Partially because our guide knew all of the back ways in.  We never waited in line.  Our stop at the Dead Sea had real black mud.  The Regent place only had silt.  No big deal to me but was to some people.  We also had a nicer changing facility.  We ate lunch at the stop so had no fee to use the facilities.  We toured for 10 hours each day.  Highly recommend them.  Our guide was Hrud.  Highly recommend him.  You can request him.  You can book today and guaranty with a credit card.  You can cancel 48 hours before for a full refund.

Something I forgot about on space in the cabin.  On this ship and I assume all others, if you want to give up your bathtub, they will put a piece of plywood over the tub.  Then add a clothes rack above the tub.  You now have a second closet.  

I still have not looked up your itinerary so do not know where you go (I plan to still do that this morning), but something we were happy we did - We have been to Luxor.  It was an overnight.  Regent had a Beach Break tour at a Sheraton Hotel both days.  We booked the morning tour on Day 1 and the afternoon tour on Day 2.  Then we booked a suite at the Sheraton.  It was like being on vacation.  It was nice to have a break.

Water for shore excursions - There is always more water than anybody could use at the gangway.  It depends on how many you want to carry.  Our rag is packed.  It has a name.  When I unpack it I will let you know what it is called.  It works.

Did not care for the show.  Four men who could sing but only 3 songs in English.  The rest were in French, Italian, and Spanish.  No idea what they were saying.

Looked at 2020 and 2021 itineraries.  You start with the Caribbean and South America.  We did not.  Pago Pago I would just walk off the ship  So sad that an American Territory is in such bad shape.  Apia is another story.  A beautiful island.  Fakarava will always be known to us as the place where the man had the stroke.  He went home but came back for the last leg.  A pretty place but really nothing to do.  If I went back to Bali I would book a beautiful resort and spend the night off the ship.  People talk about how beautiful Bali is but we did not see it.  You have an overnight in Singapore which we wished we did.  We were just there for the day.  We skipped the Regent tours and went to the highlights at our own expense.  Have been to Agra and Jaipur India.  Did not like them.  Loved the coastal cities -Goa and Mumbai.  The desert 4 x 4 sand dunes ride is a must in Oman.  Aqaba - go to Petra if you have not been.  We have so chose a city tour.  You have the overnight in Luxor.  If you have been to Luxor, book the Sheraton.    

Wendy - If you email me, I will send you my blog and you can see the excursions we did.  Please, do not share the blog as it has personal information.  kpamatot@aol.com

And on that note, there was once a discussion about putting things on your door.  On the World Cruise you are family.  We had twin grandsons last week and their pictures are on our door.  Everybody comments on the picture.

• Like 1

We had no problem because we have no insurance.  Just asked the doctor for a six month prescription.  I think if you have insurance you just need to prove you will be gone that long. 

3 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Since a world tour is so long...how do people handle prescriptions?  I’m having a hard enough time refilling mine 2 days “early” for my upcoming cruise. 

We had BC/BS insurance - made sure we had plenty of refills available to be filled...then about 2 weeks before we left we went to the pharmacy, they contacted BC/BS to get a once-a-year-allowable "vacation exception".

We travel often on land and sea.  Your insurance should give you the the vacation exceptions. I just call CVS and they clear it for me.  If you have a problem your doctor can override it.  The price should be the same as you usually pay.

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

We travel often on land and sea.  Your insurance should give you the the vacation exceptions. I just call CVS and they clear it for me.  If you have a problem your doctor can override it.  The price should be the same as you usually pay.

My pharmacy is going to call.  I already have prescription from dr sitting there. 

Great to hear.  We are often gone over thirty days and one script I need past that time.  We have United Health Care and two more years for Medicare.  Never thought I would be looking forward to that but I am.  Hope it works the same.

26 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Great to hear.  We are often gone over thirty days and one script I need past that time.  We have United Health Care and two more years for Medicare.  Never thought I would be looking forward to that but I am.  Hope it works the same.

Well, I’m on Medicare now.  Still have to work the prescription “system “.  My prescription for RA is ok to be filled on 15th.  We leave early 14th.  Sure hope they will be sensible. 

18 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Looked at 2020 and 2021 itineraries.  You start with the Caribbean and South America.  We did not.  Pago Pago I would just walk off the ship  So sad that an American Territory is in such bad shape.  Apia is another story.  A beautiful island.  Fakarava will always be known to us as the place where the man had the stroke.  He went home but came back for the last leg.  A pretty place but really nothing to do.  If I went back to Bali I would book a beautiful resort and spend the night off the ship.  People talk about how beautiful Bali is but we did not see it.  You have an overnight in Singapore which we wished we did.  We were just there for the day.  We skipped the Regent tours and went to the highlights at our own expense.  Have been to Agra and Jaipur India.  Did not like them.  Loved the coastal cities -Goa and Mumbai.  The desert 4 x 4 sand dunes ride is a must in Oman.  Aqaba - go to Petra if you have not been.  We have so chose a city tour.  You have the overnight in Luxor.  If you have been to Luxor, book the Sheraton.    

Wendy - If you email me, I will send you my blog and you can see the excursions we did.  Please, do not share the blog as it has personal information.  kpamatot@aol.com

And on that note, there was once a discussion about putting things on your door.  On the World Cruise you are family.  We had twin grandsons last week and their pictures are on our door.  Everybody comments on the picture.

I find it interesting (but not surprising) that our tastes are not the same.  We love Bali but agree that staying in a hotel and taking tours allows you to see more (we stayed at the Mulia and it was "almost" more luxurious than Regent).  Also love Agra and Jaipur but did not care for Mumbai.  We did the sand dunes with a 4 x 4 in Luxor and loved it and visited a Mosque in Oman (best Mosque that we have visited but women must wear proper clothing - covering arms to below the wrist, long dress or skirt to below the ankle and covering the head).  

I could list more things that we disagree on but the point of my posting on this thread is that what one person likes and recommends, another person may not care for at all.  

Continuing on, we do not care for Singapore (been there about five times but only 2 times by land).  We find it quite boring.  We did an overnight in Jerusalem with Regent and it was amazing (as were the excursions and we do not typically like Regent excursions).  

In conclusion - there are already two World Cruise threads.  Wouldn't it be more practical to have one for the 2020 WC and other for 2021?   

14 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Since a world tour is so long...how do people handle prescriptions?  I’m having a hard enough time refilling mine 2 days “early” for my upcoming cruise. 

I just went over this with my insurance company and my doctors in planning for the 2020 World Cruise.  I’m on Medicare and use AARP’s prescription plan through United Health and order refills for all of my regular prescriptions online (OptumRX), getting 3 months at a time. 

According to the insurance company, I’m to call them a few days before my doctor submits the order for a 6-month refill and request a ”vacation override.”  They’ll mark my record so that when the prescription comes in to OptumRX, there should be no problem getting it filled. I’m planning to do that in early December just in case there’s any kind of hold-up (I’m boarding in San Francisco on Jan 24).

Lana in Bellingham, WA

6 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I find it interesting (but not surprising) that our tastes are not the same.  We love Bali but agree that staying in a hotel and taking tours allows you to see more (we stayed at the Mulia and it was "almost" more luxurious than Regent).  Also love Agra and Jaipur but did not care for Mumbai.  We did the sand dunes with a 4 x 4 in Luxor and loved it and visited a Mosque in Oman (best Mosque that we have visited but women must wear proper clothing - covering arms to below the wrist, long dress or skirt to below the ankle and covering the head).  

I could list more things that we disagree on but the point of my posting on this thread is that what one person likes and recommends, another person may not care for at all.  

Continuing on, we do not care for Singapore (been there about five times but only 2 times by land).  We find it quite boring.  We did an overnight in Jerusalem with Regent and it was amazing (as were the excursions and we do not typically like Regent excursions).  

In conclusion - there are already two World Cruise threads.  Wouldn't it be more practical to have one for the 2020 WC and other for 2021?   

But, I think they asked for my opinion and that is what I gave - my opinion.  The main reason I did not like Agra and Jaipur was all of the men peeing on the street.  I do not think that is something that should be done in public.  We did not have that in the coastal cities.  They did not even have the urinals on the streets.  I assume that is a central Indian thing.  Did not know that until we went to the coastal cities.  Was happy to learn it is not an Indian thing. 

We know people who did the sand dunes in Luxor, Dubai, and Oman.  They all said Dubai was the best.  We only did one spot so cannot comment. 

I cannot count how many churches, temples, mosques, nunneries, etc. we have been to.  In Marbella the guide apologized because the church was closed.  The group told him we did not care.  We are finished with all of the above. 

Having never been to Singapore and no intentions of returning, I would have appreciated more time there. 

And as for more threads, I am the only person posting on the current World Cruise.  When we disembark, I will stop posting.  It is easier for me if you only have one thread until I leave the ship.  At that time I will no longer read or post on the Regent boards.  

• Like 1

We love Singapore its the heat and humidity that can be a bit bothersome.  We find Singapore and it is well noted in many travel guides the cleanest and safest in the world.  Singapore is a melting pot of people from all over the world.  We visited the orchid gardens, the bird park and of of course were able to sample all types of world cuisine.  Even street food stalls are safe to eat at as they must maintain an A rating or they close them.  Shopping is a paradise and everyone is friendly and helpful.  Our first trip there we had a private guide for the day who took us to places we would have never known about.

Singapore airlines has the best airline in the world and it shows if you ever fly them.  The cabin crew reflects how Singaporeans are.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HotRoot said:

But, I think they asked for my opinion and that is what I gave - my opinion.  The main reason I did not like Agra and Jaipur was all of the men peeing on the street.  I do not think that is something that should be done in public.  We did not have that in the coastal cities.  They did not even have the urinals on the streets.  I assume that is a central Indian thing.  Did not know that until we went to the coastal cities.  Was happy to learn it is not an Indian thing. 

We know people who did the sand dunes in Luxor, Dubai, and Oman.  They all said Dubai was the best.  We only did one spot so cannot comment. 

I cannot count how many churches, temples, mosques, nunneries, etc. we have been to.  In Marbella the guide apologized because the church was closed.  The group told him we did not care.  We are finished with all of the above. 

Having never been to Singapore and no intentions of returning, I would have appreciated more time there. 

And as for more threads, I am the only person posting on the current World Cruise.  When we disembark, I will stop posting.  It is easier for me if you only have one thread until I leave the ship.  At that time I will no longer read or post on the Regent boards.  

I for one have appreciated your posts and I am sure others as well.

• Like 1

HotRoot, I have really appreciated your posts. Your thread is the only 2019 Regent WC thread I Have found and I find it has given me useful tidbits in planning for my 2021 WC. Thanks for your opinion on our itinerary.  As your cruise trickles to the end I hope you have happy memories that last a lifetime.

Gratefully, Lisa

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

women must wear proper clothing - covering arms to below the wrist, long dress or skirt to below the ankle and covering the head

I'm not looking forward to this, but will engineer myself an outfit that works (might shop for it in Kampong Glam, the old arab district in Singapore, where there are amazing women's dress shops.  (If it hadn't been for the unrelenting heat, we would have considered re-locating there for a few years, a decade ago or so. I cope with the heat by heading inside to a/c frequently, walking in the shade, and drinking lots of iced coffee, or kopi, which seems to be the national drink.

As for prescription drugs, we here in Ontario can apply for a 'vacation supply' for up to 6 months.  We do this already every year when we 'migrate south' to Florida.  

I think the consensus is in, that both 2020 and 2021 WCers are enjoying HotRoot's contributions, thank you very much.

• Like 1

I agree with others, Hotroot, I have very much enjoyed following your WC thread.  Thank you very much for taking the time to take us along with you. Enjoy the last days of your cruise. What a great trip even with all the ups and downs.  As i will never get the chance to do a world cruise it is fascinating reading about the experiences of someone who is doing one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm not looking forward to this, but will engineer myself an outfit that works (might shop for it in Kampong Glam, the old arab district in Singapore, where there are amazing women's dress shops.  (If it hadn't been for the unrelenting heat, we would have considered re-locating there for a few years, a decade ago or so. I cope with the heat by heading inside to a/c frequently, walking in the shade, and drinking lots of iced coffee, or kopi, which seems to be the national drink.

As for prescription drugs, we here in Ontario can apply for a 'vacation supply' for up to 6 months.  We do this already every year when we 'migrate south' to Florida.  

I think the consensus is in, that both 2020 and 2021 WCers are enjoying HotRoot's contributions, thank you very much.

We have met many expats who love living in Singapore.  We also considered moving there for a few years.  We can cope with the heat as we live in Florida but we have nice mild winters here.  As you say iced drinks or kopi does the trick and AC is a abundant everywhere including the botanical gardens.  One is only a few hours away from Australia, New Zealand and all of Asia.  We visited Indian town and had the best food outside of India and also the Maylaysian area very nice.  One mall we visited put American malls to shame they had everything  you could think of.

Singapore does not have any natural resources everything is imported from around the world.  Singapore is a very modern city but with all the parks and gardens it just did not feel like it.  Wonderful restaurants and night life adorn this island.  Can’t wait to go back.

• Like 1

I also love HotRoots posts and do not understand why posters think that I didn't.  I was simply pointing out that what some people love, others do not and visa versa.  This was not meant as anything negative towards HotRoots.  It is no different than the last poster loving Singapore and us not caring for it.  Everyone has their own opinions and when someone asks for opinions of a destination, isn't it better to get more than one opinion?  

My comment about world cruise threads was due to having two active ones at the moment.  Although we are receiving great information on the 2019 WC on this thread, the subject of this thread indicates that it is a general topic rather than specific to this year.  Then we have an active thread for 2020.  

World cruises are not the same.  They may have different embarkation and departure ports, hotels, etc.  So, it seems that it would be easier to have each year as a separate topic.  Posters could ask general questions on the threads and we can read what is specific to each cruise.

Just now, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Questions on ports.  What were your favourite and least favourite?  (I know this is subjective, and your ports are not identical to ours, plus weather mitigates.)

Did you do any Overland programs?  If so, were they well-done?

How did you handle the heat in the southern climes?

Wendy,

The cooling cloth that HotRoot has mentioned was a life saver for us last year. I got them on Amazon.It is a rectangle piece of fabric that when wet is amazing cooling. It comes in its own container and is compact when dry. When you need it, wet the cloth and put it around your neck.  Wet it with your water bottle or before you leave and pack in a zip-lock baggie. Dick had a bout of heat exhaustion in Bali and it saved the day until we got him back to the ship. 

Speaking on places to see. Pago Pago is one of our island favorites...having been there twice. One time we joined a local bus group to go to a beach and last time we rented a local taxi. There is not much to see, it is really the people and the laid island back lifestyle. BUT We do know if we are ever back this way, we will see if we can arrange for a driver and explore the WWII treasures that are on the Island. The tourist center gave us a brochure on American Samoa’s US Naval and WWII History. It has a detailed tour mapped out of all the Installations on the Island, many are accessible by car. That is right up Dick’s alley! From my 2018WC Blog.

I would suggest if you really want to see someplace important to you, do a private tour. Research the area and email some tour groups, we have found some good recommendations on the port section of CC. While we did many Regent no cost tours that were fine to very good last year, in some ports that were really important to us, we rented a car or hired a private car and driver/guide. A case in point is Bali. We hired a car and driver/guide we had used before and saw much much more, more comfortably than even the additional cost tours did. Also check out what you can do for yourself on the overland tours especially in ports with good air service, just to compare cost if nothing else. Though we have done a Regent overland tour on the Circle SA cruise and it was well done. Also be sure to talk to people on your roll call about private tours.

Carolyn