Regent World Cruises

Floridiana

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

If it's boring to you, just don't read it.

I don't read threads that I am not interested in.  I do find this thread a bit repetitive but so are most threads.  In terms of the WC, my interest lies in the interaction between guests as well as how the vibe changes from one segment to the next (which HotRoot has addressed so well).  

Agree that not everyone has the same experience on any cruise.  While some segmenters feel that everyone was treated the same, other experiences may differ.  It reminds me a bit of discussing children.  Most posters say that children onboard were rarely seen and not an issue while others discuss disruptions, poor behavior, etc.  

My "take" on the situation is that some segmenters may feel a bit like the new kids in school when most people know each other - have established friends, etc. and the new kids need to fit in.  Also, the crew has known many of the WC'ers for years and are close to them.  There could be the perceived notion that they the WC'ers are getting more attention than others.  

There would likely be more input if the the world cruisers were not currently on a WC.  

Edited by Travelcat2

To all of you previous world cruisers who have posted reviews and hints, thank you so much.  You have whetted my appetite for taking a long cruise even more than I had before.  However, now my DH and I have a problem that I hope you can help us with.  We are booked on the Explorer in Nov. 2020 to travel from Barcelona to Auckland for a total of about 78 days.  This weekend we noticed that there is a 2021 world cruise, on the Mariner,  going from Miami to Barcelona for 117 days that does virtually all the ports on our itinerary and many more.  Which would you recommend?  I understand that there is a difference in the two ships but is it worth taking the additional days even on a posher ship?

34 minutes ago, Lady's Mom said:

To all of you previous world cruisers who have posted reviews and hints, thank you so much.  You have whetted my appetite for taking a long cruise even more than I had before.  However, now my DH and I have a problem that I hope you can help us with.  We are booked on the Explorer in Nov. 2020 to travel from Barcelona to Auckland for a total of about 78 days.  This weekend we noticed that there is a 2021 world cruise, on the Mariner,  going from Miami to Barcelona for 117 days that does virtually all the ports on our itinerary and many more.  Which would you recommend?  I understand that there is a difference in the two ships but is it worth taking the additional days even on a posher ship?

We are booked on the 2021 world cruise.  We always choose by itinerary rather than ship (with in the same line). Although the Explorer is lovely I wouldn't do that ship just because it is posher. 

If everything were equal, I would select a cruise on Explorer rather than any other Regent ship.  However, in this case, there is a difference in the number of days you would be on the ship.  What is the per diem difference?

It also depends upon whether or not you have seen the ports that the Mariner will be visiting.  When we look at a world cruise, we see places/ports that we have visited previously so there is less of an attraction.  After years and years of international travel (both by land and sea), we now look at the ship as a destination and, while the "poshness" (no such word - just made it up) of Explorer is nice, we like the ship for the better suites (much better than on Mariner), extra dining venue and public spaces.

In my opinion, you cannot make a wrong choice.

More information on Myanmar - People who went to Yangon said the ride was only an hour as there was no traffic.  The port offers a shuttle to the port gates where you can catch a taxi.  A one way ride to town is $30.  The ship offers a shore excursion each day called Yangon on Your Own.  Many people booked that tour yesterday and used it as a one way transfer to town.  The tour drops you at the Central Train Station.  If you are spending the night, you need to advise Reception and get your passport.  You cannot check into a hotel without a passport.  A picture does not work.  Then you have to tell Destinations so they hold your return seat for you.  You have to book two shore excursions - the one on the day you go to Yangon and the one on the day you want to come back to the ship.  This is the only ship tour you can leave.  You cannot pick up any other tours in town.

A better explanation of my last line.  Some people took a tour to town, then came back to the ship and got on another bus to go back to town for the evening excursion.  You cannot just wait in town.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lady's Mom said:

That's a tough one--I like your itinerary although I'm booked on the Mariner 2021 WC. We're comfortable on Mariner so we know what we're getting into, it's plenty posh for us.  But one attraction of the longer itinerary is no long flight home, just from Barcelona, and the start is Miami which is handy.  And we relish once again going through the Panama Canal.

One perhaps slight disadvantage would be that you do the Med. in November, although you don't spend much time there, and the weather in the Middle East perhaps will be cooler than it would be on the WC.  Perhaps that's true of India as well.  The Mariner cruise spends significant time in the Med in April, which for me is an ideal month to be there, and gets us to Istanbul again which we loved the first time.

Just chiming in to say, that after being on the first segment of this years world cruise, we had no issue with being called segmenter, as opposed to a World Cruiser.

We never felt there was a division between the two groups and found that the world cruisers were the first people to say hi.

At activities that we joined in, there was a good mix of both sets of people and we enjoyed interacting with both groups equally.

I can only speak for the segment we were on, and our first cruise with Regent impressed us from the staff to the other cruisers, that were are considering a much longer cruise for our second cruise,

• Like 2

Last August we were “segmenters” (20 days) on a Grand Cruise (89days) on the Navigator. 

All the passengers we met were friendly. I think the intimate ship atmosphere helps to create a warm atmosphere. 

We were welcomed by full cruisers and enjoyed interesting conversations. 

Everyone was dressed properly except me! Many of you know the I did not get my luggage from the airline until the day before we left the ship. No one questioned my “unique “ outfits. 

Just my opinion- -  

Sheila

• Like 3

Our other experience as segmenters it was the last one of a Grand Cruise on Voyager. People who had been on for the whole cruise had naturally formed some close friendships, but I never felt excluded in any way. In fact, we were welcomed most warmly. As Wendy posted earlier, perhaps some were thinking "Finally! Somebody new to talk to."

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Our other experience as segmenters it was the last one of a Grand Cruise on Voyager. People who had been on for the whole cruise had naturally formed some close friendships, but I never felt excluded in any way. In fact, we were welcomed most warmly. As Wendy posted earlier, perhaps some were thinking "Finally! Somebody new to talk to."

Agreed!  And sometimes it's a great ice breaker when you see newbies wandering around on their embarkation day - those of us who have been on since the start of the voyage can help these 'freshmen' find their way.

• Like 2

Another item that interests me is where Navigator is docking or has docked in particular ports.  I know that Navigator is slightly smaller than Mariner, the ship we will be on for our WC, but the docking location for specific locations is important.

I know that Navigator is in the Indian Ocean right now, so would be interested to hear where she docks in Mumbai, for instance.  This goes for Singapore as well, and other places where such things matter may come to mind.  Auckland?  Sydney?

Just now, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Another item that interests me is where Navigator is docking or has docked in particular ports.  I know that Navigator is slightly smaller than Mariner, the ship we will be on for our WC, but the docking location for specific locations is important.

I know that Navigator is in the Indian Ocean right now, so would be interested to hear where she docks in Mumbai, for instance.  This goes for Singapore as well, and other places where such things matter may come to mind.  Auckland?  Sydney?

Wendy,

Last year on the WC on the Navigator in Sydney, we docked in the dreaded White Bay. Most ships that can get under the Bridge are docking there. It really wasn't too bad though.

We were told the dock by the Opera House is reserved for the large ships. Makes sense. One of the Queens was there when we were last year. In 2015 we docked by the Opera House on the Queen Elizabeth WC. In 2009 when on the Pacific Princess's WC we also docked past the Bridge, but at the dock that was replaced recently by White Bay.

In Auckland, we docked right downtown and it was wonderful!

In Bali we had the dock space and it was great as it is a long tender ride otherwise. One of the Silver Seas' ships and a HAL were out in the bay. By the last day we were there (the grounding episode), there were four large ships anchored out in the bay all tendering. What a sight!

In Singapore we were docked the older docks at the Mall and near the Park. Much more convenient to get around than the new docks. 

I forget where but in Asia at one of the smaller island ports, we tendered while Silver Seas was at the dock. Several times either a Silver Seas or a Seabourn ship was in the Asian ports with us. The time all our tenders died and the Captain had to hire local speed boats to take us back the ship, Seabourn was tendering with us.

Carolyn

Edited by cwn

Thanks Carolyn, good information.   I've been to Singapore and can't quite visualize which park or mall it would be near--do you mean Gardens by the Bay?  I see the new docks on the map. Not too worried since there's excellent public transit in Singapore.  Tendering into Benoa or Denpasar doesn't sound very appealing.

I'll be interested in hearing about Mumbai from someone on this year (or last).  Just wondering how convenient it would be for local sightseeing.  It sounds like Ballard Pier is the place to be, but if multiple ships it would be the Offshore Container Terminal.  Let's hope you get the latter, if you're going to Mumbai!

Guess I'll check "ships in port" next year to figure out some of the places.  Thank you again.

1 hour ago, BBWC said:

In Singapore, the mall is Vivo City next to Sentosa Island, not near any of the attractions.

Oh yes that is far out. I see one called Marina Bay Centre, which looks closer, near Marina South Pier, which is still a couple of miles away from Chinatown or downtown, although fairly close to Gardens By the Bay. But Marina South Pier has an MRT station, which makes the whole place fairly accessible.

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Although Mariner is longer and wider than Navigator, the ship has a shallower draft (6.4m against 7.3m).

During our recent cruise, Navigator was scheduled to dock at Klong Toey near the centre of Bangkok; Less than two weeks before, the location was changed to Laem Chabang (2 hours plus away) because water depths were too shallow.

Even more galling to Regent guests was that Silverseas' Silver Shadow, on a similar itinerary, was able to dock at Klong Toey; probably because she has a draft of only 6m.

At least in Saigon Navigator did dock near the town, and in Hong Kong she docked at the more convenient Ocean Terminal rather than out of the way at the new cruise terminal at Kai Tak.

What I am trying to say is that it may be difficult for those on the Navigator World Cruise to advise where Mariner will be able to dock during your itinerary.

• Like 2

Our first day in Sydney, we were anchored.  There was a ship docked by the Opera House.  When the ship left, we moved into their spot and stayed overnight.  I agree, you really cannot plan on anything.  We were supposed to be in the close dock in Bangkok and the far dock in Saigon.  We ended up in the close dock in Saigon and the far dock in Bangkok.  It is very easy to change ship tours once you are onboard and know where you will be docked.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:43 PM, BBWC said:

In Singapore, the mall is Vivo City next to Sentosa Island, not near any of the attractions.

It has a subway station and a counter to buy the one/two day tourist passes for the public transportation system. Bring cash or the only credit card they accept. Sorry, don't remember if it was Visa or Mastercard. The mall has useful shops and is crowded with the passengers from the many fast ferries coming in from Indonesia.

• 4 weeks later...