Regent World Cruises

Floridiana

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

But extrapolating forward to our WC, I would expect to pay perhaps 5 times that, perhaps around $4K or less, not including the "Overland" trips.

We received a thick Regent catalog yesterday. It includes the 2021 world cruise and overland excursions. Quite pricey. We are interested in one of them so far. Before that cruise, we have 5 other trips coming up. Lots of planning.

Edited by Floridiana

1 hour ago, Floridiana said:

We received a thick Regent catalog yesterday. It includes the 2021 world cruise and overland excursions. Quite pricey. We are interested in one of them so far. Before that cruise, we have 5 other trips coming up. Lots of planning.

Yeah they are.  As I said somewhere over on the roll-call thread, if you're interested in any of these Overlands, you should book it soon.  You don't have to pay upfront so you can cancel later.  We're booked on three, but may only take one or two.

I envy you all your planning!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

10 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

We can't yet. Website won't let us. Regent newbies, lower category cabin.

Are you sure?  These are different from regular excursions.  Perhaps I was able to book mine because we're Gold already, but if so, I didn't realize that.  Have you checked with your TA?

Small group tours - We do not have any offered until we reach Israel.  We have signed up for two.  Will report back after that.  They are identical to the regular tours but with a 13 hour excursion, we have paid for the small group.  We have also picked our group.

Post Cards - Our grandchildren email us when they get their post cards.  They are being sent out at every port.  That reminds me, I need to write one to send today from Boracay Island, Philippines.

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

@flossie009 - lucky duck!    Have a wonderful cruise! 😎

Not so lucky with the weather in HK today, but we achieved everything we had planned. We used public transport and, for those of a certain age, we recommend the on loan Octopus Elder card - very convenient, excellent value and easily obtained (we purchased ours at the airport on arrival)

We are staying at the Marco Polo hotel adjacent Ocean Terminal in Kowloon. Since Navigator docked at the right location we should have an easy embarkation in the morning. Hope those WCers are welcoming to us mere Segmenters 😉

Off to the Night Market shortly for some last minute bargains and a bite to eat.

• Like 2

Sorry about the weather @flossie009     We met our HK friend for lunch on Sunday and she flew back yesterday - said the weather was better in London 😉   I thought she was just being kind!

The Marco Polo Hotel is a real blast from the past as we stayed there when our son was small....I hope they treated you as well as they treated us that time (the location is wonderful, isn't it?)   Love HK...

I'm sure you will have the warmest of welcomes on Navigator - say hello to Peggy for us!  I'm there in spirit :classic_cool:

Learned last night that this is Jamie and Dana's last World Cruise.  I think that will change the vibe.  So much of our experience is things they do,  Whoever takes over, it will be their first World Cruise.  Rumor also has it that Sarah will not be back.  Add in the different ship and your experience will be different than ours.  

We are sailing up the river to Saigon.  Be flexible in shore excursions.  Some we signed up for 8 months ago have been cancelled.  

Questions?

2 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Learned last night that this is Jamie and Dana's last World Cruise.  I think that will change the vibe.  So much of our experience is things they do,  Whoever takes over, it will be their first World Cruise.  Rumor also has it that Sarah will not be back.  Add in the different ship and your experience will be different than ours.  

We are sailing up the river to Saigon.  Be flexible in shore excursions.  Some we signed up for 8 months ago have been cancelled.  

Questions?

Thanks, too bad about Jamie and Dana, but they were doing it in the "old days" I think, right? (On the earlier Voyager WCs?)  We did sail with them once, on a grand voyage segment.

I can name only one CD who I would not like for the whole cruise, and I won't name that individual because I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  Since I don't know who Sarah is, it doesn't matter. 

We're not going to Vietnam on the 2021 WC, but will be in the vicinity--I can guess how hot it has been, having been to SE Asia at this time of year before.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

We are on the fourth leg of the World Cruise.  This is a short leg - only 12 days.  The entire vibe of the ship has changed.  The segmenters are different than others we have had.  They wear shorts and blue jeans after 6 pm.  They complain about everything.  They do not take the time to meet the crew but treat them as servants.  They cut in line.  They wear their swimsuits and nothing else to the Pool Grill.  I am sure some of them are very nice but as a group we would like to vote them off the ship.

Hi @HotRoot,

Apologies that us segmenters are spoiling your world cruise.

Are you saying that all 200+ of us that boarded in Hong Kong are exhibiting the crass behaviour that you describe?

We must be fortunate as we have not witnessed any of the issues you describe. One or two pushy guests and some that blank us when we say hello but generally a friendly crowd.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Hi @HotRoot,

Are you saying that all 200+ of us that boarded in Hong Kong are exhibiting the crass behaviour that you describe?

We must be fortunate as we have not witnessed any of the issues you describe. One or two pushy guests and some that blank us when we say hello but generally a friendly crowd.

Flossie - you better start behaving before you get tossed overboard.   :classic_tongue:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Hi @HotRoot,

I do believe I said some not all are bad.  I do remember you and I have nothing negative to say.  You are not spoiling our World Cruise.  We are just making changes to adjust.  We do not eat lunch at the Pool Grill anymore.  I do not want to take the chance that hair from a man's chest has fallen in the food.  We now eat in La Veranda.  My husband participates in all of the deck games.  Very few segmenters do.  We still have our trivia team.  My comment, though maybe I did not say it well, was the other legs have been much longer and we could not tell the difference between a World Cruiser and a segmenter.  On this leg we can.  We assume that is because this is only a 12 night leg.  We have had time to get to know the crew and they say the same thing.  I have read on here numerous comments about Caribbean cruises and how they are not "normal" for Regent.  I and many other World Cruisers think that is what we are experiencing.  I only made the comment for future World Cruisers to let them know that a leg can be off if it is a short one.   Then you just need to adjust.  I cannot think of anything that could happen on this ship to spoil our World Cruise.  Even the segmenter at dinner last night who talked so loud nobody else in our section could be heard did not spoil my dinner.  I learned more about politics than I ever care to know.

Unfortunately politics has been a major discussion for obvious conversations.  I would avoid it at all costs as our country is so divided like the UK.  Simply ask to be moved to another section where you can dine pleasantly.  Just a suggestion.

While I have no interest in doing a WC, I have noticed that it takes people that are boarding the ship time to get adjusted.  Many get onboard and are hyper, overly excited, possibly confused if they are new to Regent, etc.  Passengers that have been onboard previously (whether it be on the WC or a back to back cruise) are already used to the ship - are mellowed out and happy.  

When we do a back to back cruise and the second group of passengers board, we can't wait until they get settled and relax a bit. In my opinion, it is the nature of the beast.

In terms of politics, it is pretty rampant everywhere.  I have extremely good hearing and have learned to tune out the conversations at tables near me (unless what they are discussing is interesting and then I tune in!). It is not always an option to change tables - especially if you are in a section that you really want to be in.  

On 3/14/2019 at 2:42 AM, HotRoot said:

We are on the fourth leg of the World Cruise.  This is a short leg - only 12 days.  The entire vibe of the ship has changed.  The segmenters are different than others we have had.  They wear shorts and blue jeans after 6 pm.  They complain about everything.  They do not take the time to meet the crew but treat them as servants.  They cut in line.  They wear their swimsuits and nothing else to the Pool Grill.  I am sure some of them are very nice but as a group we would like to vote them off the ship.

Although it is a short segment, perhaps you can turn it into a teachable moment. Have a required session in the lounge for the seggies where you can instruct them on how to act and what to wear.  Considering their brutish nature, as you have described, you may wish to have an armed guard.  Otherwise they may attack and tear you to pieces with their bare hands.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

Funny, but I can relate a bit to seggies' misbehaving. On our circumnavigation of Australia, the last part was between Sydney and Melbourne at Easter. Suddenly, children were running up and down the stairs, touching rolls in the buffet, and sitting in the hot tub with ice cream cones together with their parents, four dripping ice cream cones. Of course, such a thing would never ever happen on a Regent ship.

Very odd.  The segment is just a normal 10-12 day cruise, for some hundreds of people.  And a very port-intensive one.  I'm sure they do want to squeeze in as much fun onboard as they can in their few days.  

As for deck games, I have never participated, but then my longest cruise so far has been 18 days.  If I do on our future WC, it will only because I'm bored, or because I've made friends who play them.  Hoping that our CD provides more interesting things to do on sea days, frankly.  On one recent grand cruise thread I saw constant snaps of people playing baggo--give me a break!

Just now, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Very odd.  The segment is just a normal 10-12 day cruise, for some hundreds of people.  And a very port-intensive one.  I'm sure they do want to squeeze in as much fun onboard as they can in their few days.  

As for deck games, I have never participated, but then my longest cruise so far has been 18 days.  If I do on our future WC, it will only because I'm bored, or because I've made friends who play them.  Hoping that our CD provides more interesting things to do on sea days, frankly.  On one recent grand cruise thread I saw constant snaps of people playing baggo--give me a break!

We spent 131 days on the ship and neither of us played any deck games!! But some of the people lived for them, partly because of the Regent bucks they could earn. They saved them till the end of the cruise...that was a lot of t-shirts LOL. We never were wanting for things to do with out the deck games.

Also it was interesting to see what kind of passenger mix we would get with each new segment. We did a Grand Voyage on the Mariner, and even though it is a larger ship, there was difference in the vibe of the ship on each segment that we could feel. But actual that too was part of the fun!

• Thanks 1