Rome transfer

HS/AD

My wife and I are going on the Jewell May 2, 2019. I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to get from Rome to the port on the day of the sailing May 2. We will be in Rome for 4 days before the ship sets sail.

Thanks

Rome is about 75 minutes drive from the port at  Civitavecchia. 

You can take a train to Civitavecchia from Roma Termini and then take a bus from the train station to the port (the cheap way).  Or you can arrange for a driver to take you - this usually costs around €80 for 2.  I use Bobs Limos and would happily recommend them. 

• Like 1

We used Stefano’s Rome Cabs for our transfers from the airport to our hotel in Rome, from the hotel to the port, and from the port to the airport at the end of our cruise. I can’t say enough good things about them. Wonderful, personalized, professional, door to door service. 

Where they truly learned my respect was upon our return from the cruise. We arrived under pouring rain and our ship was delayed. We didn’t dock until after 8:00am, and we had an 11:30am flight back to the USA. I messaged Rome Cabs, fearing that our driver wouldn’t be present due to our late arrival, well beyond our reserved time, but they reassured us that they monitor ship delays and that our driver would be there.

And indeed, she was. Standing in the pouring rain with a soggy sign with our name on it was our driver. She quickly got into action, helped with our luggage, walked us to our car parked 20 feet away,  helped us dry up and drove us to the airport. We made our flight with time to spare! Had we taken any other means of transportation (bus, cruise line transport, taxi, or train), I’m sure that we would’ve missed our flight, Having the ability to pick us up right at our terminal was a huge convenience. 

So it may cost more, but I recommend a private car service like this one. The convenience and efficiency of it are worth every extra penny. 

Edited by Tapi

I've used the train. The regular trains make local stops and tend to be very crowded leaving Roma Termini; I didn't get a seat until about halfway to Civitavecchia. There are also express trains at a higher fare that are probably not crowded. Traveling alone, I would always take the train. With a travel partner, a car service is more thinkable.

If you take the train, just outside the station in Civitavecchia, to the left of the door, there is a little shop where you buy a bus token. Returning from Civitavecchia, there is a shack at the bus stop. Drivers don't take cash. The bus goes only as far as the entrance to the port, from which a free bus shuttle take you to whatever ships are in port.

We did this last summer and utilized RomeCabs.   They were awesome both to the port from our Rome hotel, and from the port back to Rome, where we stayed additional time after the cruise.    Private luxury vehicle, we had three people.   Did everything via email, very professional.   The expense is totally worth it.   Be even embarked earlier than our scheduled time, by at least 45 minutes, and they were waiting right there at the exit ready for us.    There are lots of options for private cars, too, including your hotel may have a relationship with a car company.  

We once did private transfers with a group from our roll call, there were about 15 of us and they picked up from a few different hotels and I think we only ended up paying around 20 euro pp. 

On our cruise last summer we pre booked the express train with assigned seats from Rome and there were plenty of shared taxis waiting at the train station to take us to the ship   The earlier you book the train, the cheaper it is.  The taxi from the station to the ship was only 5 euros each.

Another vote for RomeCabs.  We used them to take us from Rome, where we spent 3 days pre-cruise, to the port for our transatlantic Celebrity cruse in October.  We had three pick ups that we had prearranged with other cruise critic members on our cruise.  All communications with RomeCabs prior to our cruise was prompt and helpful  Our driver from Rome to the port was wonderful especially navigating the very narrow central Rome streets.