On Pursuit right now - very disappointed!

poolma

So we docked in Ushuaia yesterday at 6pm about 14 hrs ahead of schedule as Captain wanted to get in ahead of bad weather. We docked safely on a gorgeous evening and despite gusty winds passengers were allowed off the ship. We had a private guide meeting us at 8:30am today for hikes in Tierra del Fuego. This has been on my dream list for a long time.

We woke to a glorious clear day, the best we’ve had all week. At about 8am Captain informed us that winds changed direction and gusting to 50mph and harbor was now closed and he decided to pull the gangway. At 9:30am he made decision to cancel all ship’s excursions but we were all still waiting word on when we would get off the ship. Shortly after he allowed several people including a film crew, Chilean pilots and other crew to disembark.

By 10:30 the winds had calmed but harbor was still closed. A couple of ships are still waiting to dock including Seabourn. Then Captain made announcement that today is officially a sea day even though we are at dock. Now it is nice enough to go out on the open decks. It is no where near as windy as the day we had on Punta Arenas or the days in the Fjords.

My private tour guide Nicolas emailed me at 10:30 that he has refunded our tour. He also said that this was purely the decision of our captain to not allow any passengers off. He said the high winds affect the ships waiting to dock not the ships already at the dock and that the port authority and coast guard did not restrict us from leaving the ship. He also said passengers from other ships got off.

I had suspected that when Captain cancelled the ship’s excursions he already made the decision then to depart as soon as harbor is opened and he didnt want to wait for passengers to return to the ship as planned at 5:45pm. Nicolas’ email confirmed my suspicions.

While I appreciate the Captain putting safety first, I do not feel he was totally honest with us. The irony may be that we won’t be able to leave until the original departure time or even later. So we all could have gone on our excursions.

It is so frustrating to be right here and cannot get off! Sitting on the sundeck right now in the warm sunshine and clear blue sky feeling like a hostage. 

And then to add insult to injury we are now not able to go to the Falklands due to high swells. So the 2 ports most looking forward to is now cancelled.

Update: 12noon Harbor is now opened and ships are docking.

Edited by poolma

We did manage to salvage our day. At noon after Seabourn Quest docked, Captain announced he would let us off the ship. Think he had to seeing how the three ships that docked alongside us as soon as harbor was opened started letting their passengers off immediately. 

We got off the ship at 1pm and had to be back by 5:45. The day remained gorgeous. We went to the taxi stand and was able to get a taxi to the park and did a quick look at Enseneda Lake and the Post Office. So at least we were able to set foot in Tierra del Fuego. Sorry to say that I think Captain made the wrong call here. 

Just be prepared to be disappointed if you cruise this itinerary.

Edited by poolma

Sorry you didn’t get the full day in Ushuaia. It’s a lovely place.  I was on the Lima to Buenos Aires cruise in December and was able to get off in Ushuaia, in spite of ferocious winds.  On that cruise we too had to miss the Falklands as it was too rough.  Fortunately I stayed on for a couple more and the Antarctica cruise had the Falklands and we we had a lovely day with good weather.  Luck of the draw.  50/50 you’ll make it there.  Hopefully next time for you.

It does look a bit of an odd decision by the Captain as far as Ushuaia, but sometimes it’s a snap decision based upon safety.  The pier is really exposed. Hope you had a nice day there and you can continue without too much disruption.  We couldn’t make Puerto Madryn as a substitute for missing the Falklands on the way back to BA.  Too much distance.  To be honest, there isn’t much on that east coast of Argentina until Buenos Aires.

Two of the crew that made it on the ship earlier in Ushuaia were ballroom dancers Sasha and Dima.  I’d well recommend going to see their show (whenever that is). They are excellent.

Enjoy the rest of your trip regardless.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

14 minutes ago, poolma said:

Just be prepared to be disappointed if you cruise this itinerary.

Thanks for the reminder.

Given the nature of the seas in this area, when we cruise this itinerary we won’t be surprised at missing ports.

But of course it could happen on any itinerary. 

Something like that happen to me on Princess in Ushuaia.  

For Falkland we were lucky to have the nicest day , but our guide told us that the week before, Holland America had to left more than 500 people on the island.  The captain was affraid of a storm just forming so he decide to leave without his passengers still on the island for shore excursion.  The islanders had to take those passengers to their homes for the night as there is not alot hotel room on the island.  They had to flew all those people to Ushuaia the next day.

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

When did Sasha and Dima get on? We were on the Antarctica leg and they certainly weren't there then. 

Two of the crew that made it on the ship earlier in Ushuaia were ballroom dancers Sasha and Dima.  I’d well recommend going to see their show (whenever that is). They are excellent.

Phil

They now join Azamara ships as guest artists as opposed to just part of the production shows and their unique shows are absolutely outstanding and not to be missed.  

Edited by uktog
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

They got on in Ushuaia yesterday and are there until 23rd February.  They go back to Pursuit for a few days on the 4th April in Casablanca.

Phil

Thanks, Phil. Sorry that we missed them. (We saw them when they were in the regular cast, but have not had the pleasure of seeing their new shows.)

Getting to all the ports on a South American Antarctic cruise would certainly be unusual.

most of us who have cruised in the area have had ports missed and itinerary changed.

if you absolutely have to get to a certain destination it is better to fly.   You will have a much better chance of getting there when you want.   If you continue to cruise you are bound to be frustrated second guessing the captain.   He or she alone knows the ship and it’s capabilities.

• Like 4

On 2/17/2019 at 5:22 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

They got on in Ushuaia yesterday and are there until 23rd February.  They go back to Pursuit for a few days on the 4th April in Casablanca.

Phil

Can you tell me anything about entertainment on our upcoming Pursuit cruises (May 5 departing Venice and May 14 departing Athens).  Am having trouble finding specific information. Chose Pursuit based on previous great cruise with Quest, but am anxious about all the complaints, problems detailed on this CC. Are there really multiple problems with Pursuit?

On 2/21/2019 at 5:49 PM, Waratah said:

Can you tell me anything about entertainment on our upcoming Pursuit cruises (May 5 departing Venice and May 14 departing Athens).  Am having trouble finding specific information. Chose Pursuit based on previous great cruise with Quest, but am anxious about all the complaints, problems detailed on this CC. Are there really multiple problems with Pursuit?

To what "multiple problems" are you referring?  We spent nearly 30 days on Pursuit in the last couple of months, and although some things are (in a VERY minor) way different from Quest and Journey, it is a fine ship with a fine crew.

Sit back, quit worrying about what hasn't occurred yet, there is nothing you can do about the entertainment, and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCruise said:

To what "multiple problems" are you referring?  We spent nearly 30 days on Pursuit in the last couple of months, and although some things are (in a VERY minor) way different from Quest and Journey, it is a fine ship with a fine crew.

Sit back, quit worrying about what hasn't occurred yet, there is nothing you can do about the entertainment, and enjoy your cruise.

Our experience in December and January, as well.  Booked four Pursuit cruises in 2020 while onboard.

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 10:49 PM, Waratah said:

No, there definitely aren't multiple problems on Pursuit. I did post a negative review of my experience during December and January, but certainly didn't say there were multiple problems, but rather issues that I hadn't experienced on either Quest or Journey. These aren't insurmountable and the necessary feedback has been given to Azamara and I believe noted. I'm looking forward to a comparison in about three weeks. 

Incidentally I did hear that a friend currently on Pursuit is having a fabulous time. I'm hoping for the same. 

Sorry, I have no idea of the entertainment for May. 

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree, there were issues and they were highlighted to Azamara.  Whilst we had no direct feedback they had been taken onboard, we have heard from those who have been onboard in the last month and they said matters had improved, they were advised new staff were being recruited for key F and B positions front and back of house so that says to me that the lapses were fully understood.

They are also working on some new shows and visiting entertainers are never published in advance on Azamara.   I accept the guest lecturer issues we experienced were as a result of an unfortunate combination of circumstances and I am sure lessons were learned on that one.

• Like 1

• Deapite my disappointment with Ushuaia and Falklands, I want to reassure everyone that our time on the Pursuit was wonderful! I could not find fault with the food or service. The officers, crew, waiters and stewards are all wonderful! We had a fabulous evening for White Nights, the night before Montevideo. The sun was setting as the party got started and we saw the Blood Moon rising. They had 3 charcoal Grills on deck for grilled lobster, brochettes and lamb chops. I do wish we had more lobster though, this was the only time. Azamazing Evening in Montevideo was very well done! 620 guests participated. Very entertaining in a beautiful venue, the Teatro Solis and very well organized with 16 buses total. Champagne and the band was waiting for us as we lined up to get back on the ship. Very festive mood.

We disembarked early yesterday in BA and caught our evening flight home to USA. If you have any questions regarding   Pursuit, don’t hesitate to ask.

Edited by poolma

Azamara has thankfully never had music by the pool. I hate it on Celebrity. If you want to listen to music by the pool then please bring a device and headphones. Then you can enjoy your music without tormenting those of us who just want some peace and quiet to read or relax. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1