Wine

camper49

This is right on the boarding pass for a cruise in 3 days:

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

11 hours ago, kwarner said:

This is right on the boarding pass for a cruise in 3 days:

Thank you for observing our carry-on alcohol policy. As a reminder, adult passengers are permitted to bring one 750 ml bottle of wine or champagne onboard per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.

Yes.  Finally I get to the end and someone posts the applicable information.  Glenn can choose to act the way he is comfortable with, but Princess has documentation in more than one place that indicates extra bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included of course as they are wines) are allowed, but incur a corkage fee.  I am one of many many passengers who are thankful that Princess allows this and am fine with paying their corkage fee.  And you can bring bottles on in port.  As mentioned, some cruises and port excursions have a wine theme and many folks like to bring back wines they enjoyed sampling.  Please, can we squash the posts equating wine to liquor - not the same thing!!

• Like 1

I used to enjoy bringing at least 6 bottles aboard with no corkage a few years ago until recently the $15 was enforced.   Did a recent NCL and they do not allow any without corkage of $15.  They strange thing is we had the drink package and could get wine anyway; one would think they would have allow wine aboard with no corkage. We would have drunk our own.

Edited by jdavid

6 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Yes.  Finally I get to the end and someone posts the applicable information.  Glenn can choose to act the way he is comfortable with, but Princess has documentation in more than one place that indicates extra bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included of course as they are wines) are allowed, but incur a corkage fee.  I am one of many many passengers who are thankful that Princess allows this and am fine with paying their corkage fee.  And you can bring bottles on in port.  As mentioned, some cruises and port excursions have a wine theme and many folks like to bring back wines they enjoyed sampling.  Please, can we squash the posts equating wine to liquor - not the same thing!!

I would gladly pay a $15 corkage fee to bring on a nice bottle of scotch ...

So, you can bring on a $500 bottle of wine for $ 15 ... but can't bring on a $ 80 bottle of single malt scotch ...

their ship...their rules

I'm just glad Princess allows that both people in a cabin don't have to purchase the PBP, unlike other lines

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jdavid said:

I used to enjoy bringing at least 6 bottles aboard with no corkage a few years ago until recently the $15 was enforced.   Did a recent NCL and they do not allow any without corkage of $15.  They strange thing is we had the drink package and could get wine anyway; one would think they would have allow wine aboard with no corkage. We would have drunk our own.

Our experience with the NCL package is there is only one wine per category that you can buy by the glass.  They are usually not very good.

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

I would gladly pay a $15 corkage fee to bring on a nice bottle of scotch ...

So, you can bring on a $500 bottle of wine for $ 15 ... but can't bring on a $ 80 bottle of single malt scotch ...

their ship...their rules

I'm just glad Princess allows that both people in a cabin don't have to purchase the PBP, unlike other lines

I feel your pain in the scotch... if Princess changed the wine policy to match liquor I would be unhappy.  Agree on the PBP... but it is something we would never get the value from.

On 2/28/2019 at 12:35 PM, Grburkart said:

My previous post photo was an excerpt from a CC post. This one is an excerpt from the passenger contract that we all have to acknowledge when we book a cruise. I didn’t make it up and it leaves little doubt about what their practice is. 

It’s a tad frustrating in that there are inconsistencies within a particular ship, or even a specific individual. If it’s allowed, then make it allowed for everybody. If their alcohol policy is antiquated then they need to change it. 

But in the meantime, I suppose, it’s buyer beware. 

Glenn

B5BF961D-EA17-4D78-89F3-C18114AC25AC.jpeg

you can bring as much wine as you want on board; as long as you are willing to pay the $15 corkage fee.  That is the worst case scenario.  They won't be taking away your bottle of wine at the xray machine.  Booze is never allowed and is a totally different beast.  That they will collect.  I have brought wine onboard many times in port without a single word uttered.  There is no risk at all other than the $15!  

On 2/28/2019 at 3:38 PM, Astro Flyer said:

But fortunately their “inconsistencies” I’ve experienced have benefited passengers due to lenient enforcement so I’m not complaining. ☺️

Even though it’d be better for me to have clearly stated rules which are applied, I’m okay with them being reasonable by allowing us to bring wine from ports & being subject to the $15 fee.  Their wine policies are the best I’ve experienced on other cruise lines & it’s one reason why Princess still provides my best overall cruise experience for what I’m paying.

]

But the wine absolutely IS permitted in writing and policy therefore there is NO inconsistency here; bring as much as you want at the beginning, middle or end and be prepared to pay the $15 a bottle.  That is the policy.  

17 minutes ago, dcrow72 said:

]

But the wine absolutely IS permitted in writing and policy therefore there is NO inconsistency here; bring as much as you want at the beginning, middle or end and be prepared to pay the $15 a bottle.  That is the policy.  

That is exactly as the experience we have had on over 20 cruises and never once heard or have seen any variations. 

I posted here a link to a Google doc talking about bringing whole cases on board. Which we did just last September, bring three cases in 5 boxes. 

I am baffled by those having problems. We have packed wine in our checked bags, in our carry on, and directly in a wine bag carried on and never had a problem. Did we have to go to the the naughty corner a few times? Sure, went down and paid the corkage and got our wine. Did we bring more than a bottle each back on board after a wine tour or shopping spree? Yes, numerous times. Sometimes we let them store the wine till the last day and sometimes we would grab 1 or 2 and store the rest. Never a problem nor have they even questioned us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Interestingly is a bottle of port, a wine in princess's eyes ???

Cheers Don

Yes, Port is in the wine family.  Not to mention that it would take a keen observer at the table when you re-board to even notice the difference. 

3 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, Port is in the wine family.  Not to mention that it would take a keen observer at the table when you re-board to even notice the difference. 

I have seen many posts saying it is not allowed or has been confiscated. We have never had a problem brining port on.

It kind of astounds me that after producing the excerpt from the passenger contract, that we all signed by the way, there are still those that debate that very same policy. 

I realize there are certain people exempt from the rules but we have to go by something. The policy is straight forward but it still befuddles many. 

I would be in agreement with buying wine or otherwise (I like ouzo) from Port, to be enjoyed onboard. In the meantime, there’s that pesky policy that gets in the way. 

Nobody is disputing that you can bring wine onboard. A whole truckload if you desire. The catch is, by the contract, bringing stuff in from ports of call. Corkage fee or not, it’s taboo. 

Glenn

On 2/28/2019 at 10:08 AM, ZuzusPetals said:

Herring choker,

This is a game changer!! Please tell me this is true! Did security on the ship as you reboarded know it was wine or perhaps it slipped through as a water bottle?  

I am aware that we can bring 1 bottle of wine or champagne per adult at the beginning of the cruise but I've never heard that you can bring back additional bottles from the ports the ship visits. From some port stops I've brought back rum and tequila that they had to hold until the end of the cruise and I figured they'd do the same with ANY alcohol. Please tell me this has just been a well hidden secret for those of us who don't want to pay $50 for a $10 bottle of wine on the ship. 

Waiting with baited wine breath for your reply....LOL.   

You can bring wine from each port.  They usually have a table set up where they will look at what you have...if it's wine they will let you take it and you can pay corkage if you bring it to the dining room.  If it's booze they will take it and hold it until the end of the cruise.

In Ensenada Princess offers an excursion that visits two wineries. Each passenger on the tour is given a bottle of wine at one of the stops. Princess has no problem with bringing that wine onboard and taking it to your cabin.

• Like 1