cgolf1

Opinion of the Edge poll New to Celebrity and those loyal to Celebrity   

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which best fits your opinion of the Edge

• New to Celebrity and liked the Edge
    • New to Celebrity and was not impressed with the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and liked the Edge
    • Long time Celebrity cruiser and was not impressed with the Edge

I think the TA conference is referring to the post cruise guest comments that we fill out now emailed to us a day after the cruise.  Only Celebrity would have access to these.  They might have spoken about it at the TA conference.  I believe that these are the comments Celebrity values above all others from their actual customers on their sailings. They are validated as coming from their paying customers.  Yes more valuable than rankings from a cruise critic editor or from comments here from cc members who might have not even sailed on that particular ship.  

I also am skeptical that they accurately reported the scores and reviews -- they are trying their best to spin things to the positive, when in fact there are so many passengers who are just saying "meh" or worse.  I have also seen lots of discounting, which belies their claim that the ships are sailing full and that customers are doing repeat bookings.  I have talked to too many who have said "one and done" on their return from Edge.  Yes, they visited the Future Cruise agents, but to book other ships, not Edge or Apex.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Yes more valuable than rankings from a cruise critic editor or from comments here from cc members who might have not even sailed on that particular ship.  

Why wasn't this as much of a factor when Solstice was launched?  I calculated only 2% 1-2 star reviews, 9% 3 star reviews, and 89% 4-5 star reviews, during the first 3 months.

we were on the Edge week before last.  My second Celebrity cruise but we have done over 40 on Royal and also a NCL and 2 Carnival.  Booked this the day it was available and then watched the price almost triple in a few days.  Yes the demand was high for the new infinite balcony.  If you take away the four perks being offered right now to book this ship you would have a reasonable enough priced cruise for me to consider again.  We had classic drink package on this and onboard credit for booking while on another ship.  Pros and cons to this ship. It reminds me of the Quantum class on Royal but that is more affordable.  Couldn't quite get over the sewer smell found around the pool and other areas of the ship.  Talked to so many that said one and done.  They loved other ships and peaked our interest about booking more on Celebrity but not the Edge.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 8:36 PM, crisndeefromde said:

we were on the Edge week before last.  My second Celebrity cruise but we have done over 40 on Royal and also a NCL and 2 Carnival.  Booked this the day it was available and then watched the price almost triple in a few days.  Yes the demand was high for the new infinite balcony.  If you take away the four perks being offered right now to book this ship you would have a reasonable enough priced cruise for me to consider again.  We had classic drink package on this and onboard credit for booking while on another ship.  Pros and cons to this ship. It reminds me of the Quantum class on Royal but that is more affordable.  Couldn't quite get over the sewer smell found around the pool and other areas of the ship.  Talked to so many that said one and done.  They loved other ships and peaked our interest about booking more on Celebrity but not the Edge.

You should definitely try another Celebrity ship.  Many are being refurbished (The Revolution) with all cabins being redone with similar tones to Edge. Some here call it Edgification.  So if you were OK with the Edge cabin colors and furnishings then book one of the refurbished ships.  Try S-Class! The only ship refurbished so far is the oldest of the M-Class, Millennium. If you want to get an idea of what's coming to the fleet, there are threads here on CC on the new Millennium.  Summit is next.  Or if you really disliked Edge colors, then book prior to the Revolution.  I agree that Edge shares some design features of RCCL Anthem.  I enjoyed Anthem when I sailed on her a couple of years ago.

In February, we were on the Edge in an S2 sky suite. We loved our cabin. Glad to see the rockers were all taken off the ship and sent back to the vendor (they were taking up too much space and were obstacles for people). We were told that they do read/monitor cruise critic and were listening to the feedback. The cabin could use a cocktail or other table in front of the sofa (now it is just a small round cylinder -not very useful) and the balcony table is much to small to even think of eating a meal off of.

We really enjoyed the retreat sundeck area and lounge. Around the ship, there were a lot of venues with ample seating - Eden, Martini Bar, Rooftop, etc. What we did notice was some areas felt more enclosed. We missed the soaring spaces of the S Class ships. The merchandise in the shops was not to our liking. Most of the shops sold jewelry and not much else. Restrooms were an issue. A lot of areas had a single restroom (Retreat, Luminae, near the Martini Bar). When there was a ladies restroom with multiple stalls, it was impossible to tell when they were occupied. Definitely a learning curve with the technology in the bathrooms which at times malfunctioned.

We were traveling with friends and had booked this cruise over two years ago when cabins first opened up. We were taking an informal poll while we were on-board and a lot of people had booked when we did and got cabins at a much lower cost than what they are currently going for. We will most likely not be sailing on Edge again in the near future at those prices, and most people we spoke with said the same thing. So it will be interesting to see if prices come down once the backlog of first-in bookings passengers clears.

Just had a look at this for the first time and not really surprised, feedback on the review section continues to be very mixed with the IV cabins receiving the same negativity they always have. I honestly still think there are huge design flaws that can’t be easily fixed and it’s a ship more about flash than practicality.

1 hour ago, yorky said:

Just had a look at this for the first time and not really surprised, feedback on the review section continues to be very mixed with the IV cabins receiving the same negativity they always have. I honestly still think there are huge design flaws that can’t be easily fixed and it’s a ship more about flash than practicality.

I wonder what the score would be, had Edge been priced cheaper, with normal verandas.  Typically people who complain about the IV, have other issues, but it may swing more positive.  It will be interesting to see who didn't like Edge, but none the less likes the "Revolution".

500 Million $ US to revamp the fleet, the cost of 4 Edge ships, plus advertising, to at the very least, send a small % of X cruisers packing to competitors.  You know that HAL and Princess have to be doing a song and dance in their board meetings.  How many millions in advertising would it have cost to gain such business, to simply fall into their laps for free?  Even if X is overwhelmingly successful in replacing the dissenters, it is still ironic and hilarious.

I am among those whose issues with Edge had nothing to do with the infinite verandah.  I was in one of the circular "hull verandahs"  so the IV wasn't the problem.  The lack of activities, the incessant pounding "music", the lack of interior bars, no library, no card room, the weird layout of the buffet, having no Sky Lounge, the intrusive "Edenists", the Ikea-inspired gray decor, the accessibility limitations and so many other issues make Edge, for me "one and done".  

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I am among those whose issues with Edge had nothing to do with the infinite verandah.  I was in one of the circular "hull verandahs"  so the IV wasn't the problem.  The lack of activities, the incessant pounding "music", the lack of interior bars, no library, no card room, the weird layout of the buffet, having no Sky Lounge, the intrusive "Edenists", the Ikea-inspired gray decor, the accessibility limitations and so many other issues make Edge, for me "one and done".  

I am curious about the edeninsts comment? When we sailed in January, the only time we saw them was when we were in Eden, we never saw them any other place, and they didn't appear that intrusive, except maybe to some during the show that they interacted with.

It is cool though that we all have different likes/dislikes, it makes the world go round, and is probably why there are so many different ships and cruise lines out there:). For us, we loved the music around the ship, it was a huge plus for us, and in 15 cruises we have never opened the deck of cards or dice games we packed with us, and if we ever do I will tell my wife we are done cruising the line it happened on. 

Edited by cgolf1

The first encounter with an Edemist was at Cafe al Bacio, where a young costumed "sprite" came and sat next to me and said "No coffee for me, I only eat dragonflies" then flitted away.  The second was when three of them arrived at the Cafe and proceded to have a pillow fight (!), eventually getting down on the floor and crawling away.

Then one returned later that day and at that point I left before she could ask for more dragonflies or whatever.

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The first encounter with an Edemist was at Cafe al Bacio, where a young costumed "sprite" came and sat next to me and said "No coffee for me, I only eat dragonflies" then flitted away.  The second was when three of them arrived at the Cafe and proceded to have a pillow fight (!), eventually getting down on the floor and crawling away.

Then one returned later that day and at that point I left before she could ask for more dragonflies or whatever.

I wonder if they toned it down after they got too many complaints? We never saw anything like this. I do know that when they gave us a review/how are we doing survey a couple of days in, that they read them, because we got a call on one of our comments, so they seem to be listening at least a little bit.

Edited by cgolf1

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

I wonder if they toned it down after they got too many complaints? We never saw anything like this. I do know that when they gave us a review/how are we doing survey a couple of days in, that they read them, because we got a call on one of our comments, so they seem to be listening at least a little bit.

I would imagine that someone reprimanded them, especially for the pillow fight.  The last thing the ship needs is bad press about hot liquids being swung into someone's face or lap, over a pillow fight.

Just sailed EDGE last week.  Was told by crew member that total passenger count for our sailing was about 2,300.  🤔  If that’s accurate .... do the math.   How many empty cabins?   Loved the ship.  Beautiful ship!  Food incredible.  Service excellent.  You can tell staff is overworked.  Our cabin steward was not permitted to tell us how many cabins she was responsible to service.  🤔   Merchandise shop ..... pair of swim trunks $345 ...... dress shirt $225 ......  EDGE beach towel $95.  Literally no one in high end shops.  Food in EDEN during breakfast and lunch ...... excellent.   EDEN “show” at night ....... the weirdest, teetering on satanic, performance I’ve ever witnessed at sea.  Passengers walking out shaking their heads in disbelief.  Oceanview Cafe excellent venue, food and service very good!  Embarkation and debarkation were the quickest most efficient movement of people.  Facial recognition is incredible.  Almost equaled Disney crowd  management.  

My opinions only.  Remember ...... opinions are like noses 👃🏼.   Everybody has at least one!

Some things, like the behavior of the Edenists, or the volume of the music, can be changed.  But some problems will never go away. There will never be a sky lounge. There will never be a card room for bridge players.  I doubt if there will ever be another bar.  The pizza will always be far from the rest of the buffet.  😢

1 hour ago, Hal from Ohio said:

Just sailed EDGE last week.  Was told by crew member that total passenger count for our sailing was about 2,300.  🤔  If that’s accurate .... do the math.   How many empty cabins?   Loved the ship.  Beautiful ship!  Food incredible.  Service excellent.  You can tell staff is overworked.  Our cabin steward was not permitted to tell us how many cabins she was responsible to service.  🤔   Merchandise shop ..... pair of swim trunks $345 ...... dress shirt $225 ......  EDGE beach towel $95.  Literally no one in high end shops.  Food in EDEN during breakfast and lunch ...... excellent.   EDEN “show” at night ....... the weirdest, teetering on satanic, performance I’ve ever witnessed at sea.  Passengers walking out shaking their heads in disbelief.  Oceanview Cafe excellent venue, food and service very good!  Embarkation and debarkation were the quickest most efficient movement of people.  Facial recognition is incredible.  Almost equaled Disney crowd  management.  

My opinions only.  Remember ...... opinions are like noses 👃🏼.   Everybody has at least one!

I may have missed it, but did you state which type of cabin you sailed in?

A recent review I am following mentions some changes

(improvements in my view) already made to the Eden entertainment, shows in the theater, and other onboard events.....so things are fluid. 

Can't wait to see what else changes by the time we cruise  on EDGE in the fall.  Hopefully some of the stores will be less high priced and carry items cruisers want to buy!

Edited by hcat

WeJust sailed EDGE last week.  Was told by crew member that total passenger count for our sailing was about 2,300.  🤔  If that’s accurate .... do the math.   How many empty cabins?   Loved the ship.  Beautiful ship!  Food incredible.  Service excellent.  You can tell staff is overworked.  Our cabin steward was not permitted to tell us how many cabins she was responsible to service.  🤔   Merchandise shop ..... pair of swim trunks $345 ...... dress shirt $225 ......  EDGE beach towel $95.  Literally no one in high end shops.  Food in EDEN during breakfast and lunch ...... excellent.   EDEN “show” at night ....... the weirdest, teetering on satanic, performance I’ve ever witnessed at sea.  Passengers walking out shaking their heads in disbelief.  Oceanview Cafe excellent venue, food and service very good!  Embarkation and debarkation were the quickest most efficient movement of people.  Facial recognition is incredible.  Almost equaled Disney crowd  management.  

AC0D6B66-2BF2-4BCF-9CAD-F70A2FBAFC0A.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Hal from Ohio said:

WeJust sailed EDGE last week.  Was told by crew member that total passenger count for our sailing was about 2,300.  🤔  If that’s accurate .... do the math.   How many empty cabins?   Loved the ship.  Beautiful ship!  Food incredible.  Service excellent.  You can tell staff is overworked.  Our cabin steward was not permitted to tell us how many cabins she was responsible to service.  🤔   Merchandise shop ..... pair of swim trunks $345 ...... dress shirt $225 ......  EDGE beach towel $95.  Literally no one in high end shops.  Food in EDEN during breakfast and lunch ...... excellent.   EDEN “show” at night ....... the weirdest, teetering on satanic, performance I’ve ever witnessed at sea.  Passengers walking out shaking their heads in disbelief.  Oceanview Cafe excellent venue, food and service very good!  Embarkation and debarkation were the quickest most efficient movement of people.  Facial recognition is incredible.  Almost equaled Disney crowd  management.  

I see the ladies pamper party has moved to a  larger location... Tuscan.  We had sro on our cruise.

It was so much fun...designed to sell stuff but not a  hard sell and free samples!

12 minutes ago, Hal from Ohio said:

Opinions are like noses 👃🏼, but you so far you have posted it thrice!

I'm sure this type of marketing will go very well on Spring Break cruises, and none of the Edenists will be sexually harassed... 🙄

On 3/7/2019 at 10:42 AM, cruisestitch said:

Some things, like the behavior of the Edenists, or the volume of the music, can be changed.  But some problems will never go away. There will never be a sky lounge. There will never be a card room for bridge players.  I doubt if there will ever be another bar.  The pizza will always be far from the rest of the buffet.  😢

cruisetitch, I think some of the things you say are problems like no card room or adding another bar are fixable as well.  Pizza is at the end of the buffet like on every other Celebrity ship - but why is that a problem?  

On 3/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, Hal from Ohio said:

Thanks for your opinions and no need to justify them.  They are yours!  The shops on Edge are both outrageously priced and mostly empty.  They really need to do something about that in my opinion.

The pizza is not at a faraway location on S Class ships.  It’s actually at the entrance to the buffet.

It was a problem on Edge because by the time we walked back to the rest of the buffet, the pizza was cold.  Or if we tried to get hot food (soup, pasta etc) and then go to the pizza, the hot food was cold.

i am curious where you think another bar, or a card room, could be added.  They can’t invent space.  

But more to the point, I don’t see Celebrity wanting to add another bar or a card room. From all of the impressions I got, they seemed to think that edge was just perfect as it is.

Edited by cruisestitch