Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

8 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Has anyone had any response from a U.K. Travel agent they booked through to obtain their take on this change without notice?

Hi, I called MSC on Sat to try and find out what was going on. I was told that all passengers from the end of March 2019 would have to pay the Service charge, But when pressed about it, The fact that I had booked my cruise last yr, They then said I could talk to the CS once on board to see what they could do. Once I pointed out that in my case the difference of paying and not paying was a round £600 , And if they think I was going to wait till I was on board to find out, That was never going to happen.
I asked if all the TA had been informed about the change, to which they said yes, I have spoken to my TA to day and they no nothing about it.It just seems to be typical MSC, you never get the same reply twice, The staff don't no whats is going on, I do feel sorry for them at times as they are the one's getting all the flak. The promised to email me to day, Never happened, So 10 mins before closing time I called them again. I was told that the matter had been taken to the highest level due to all the complaints regarding the SC, and they will email me as soon as they find out what is happening. Lets see what happens.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

Morning

An unspectacular update, but an offering into this sea of confusion, bitterness and passion none the less.

I've just spoken to MSC, initially regarding the Trio dining package that seems to be avoiding me.

However as Michael seemed highly proficient and spoke in a voice similar to a leading Soho hotel concierge, I thought I would enquire if he knew anything about the Devious Service Charge and it's change in policy from 31/03/2019.

He sighed like a man tired of being left in the proverbial mess by his employers before advising with great authority that they were told late on Friday to advise passengers that from 31/03/2019 the DSC would be added to all applicable accounts and could not be removed.

I enquired what about bookings made historically and with T&C's outside of any new contracts.

"Sir it applies to all sailings irrespective of booking date"

That cannot be right and is in violation of UK/EU law I suggested.

"That I wouldn't know" was the reply followed by "We have been told that this is the process and any queries regarding the policy should be addressed whilst on board to guest services"

I said this will cause mayhem aboard and his reply was....

"No doubt but this is the advise we are instructed to provide to callers"

My next observation was to suggest that this merely made the contact centres staff lives easier and passes the disruption to the ships with limited resources and thus disruption to other passengers.

"Possibly yes" was the reply.

I then likened this to the recent drinks package debacle, where I suggested that an amnesty was created under the values of fair play and  common sense, so would this be the likely outcome....

"I have no idea or opinion above the statement I have been asked to provide" said Michael.

I thanked him for his time, kicked the cat, threw my coffee cup agressively and typed this.

We wait for further developments as one

....plus all the haters who will no doubt be standing to attention now and saluting Michael with the buttons on their 'gratuities police' uniforms all gleaming 👮

Hi, I got almost the same reply,

• Like 1

Just now, korpo024 said:

No implication...just logic

So ... you're implying that the crew are only friendly if you pay them directly?  That's a downright lie.  We have always found the crew to be friendly and helpful without the need for a bribe.  In fact, we've had exceptional service just because we were known.

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

So ... you're implying that the crew are only friendly if you pay them directly?  That's a downright lie.  We have always found the crew to be friendly and helpful without the need for a bribe.  In fact, we've had exceptional service just because we were known.

No that is not what I am implying. Just said that we always give crewmembers (cabin/tMDR) direct tips...they really like that, because they do not get the DSC...that goes to the company....

8 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We have always found the staff friendly no matter where we have sailed, I always take time out to find out where they live and how are there family. But its very hard to have a smile on your face all of the time when you are working 18 hr days, 7 days a week, Some on contracts of 9 months, Thousands of miles away from home.  This is why we prefer to look after the staff we come in contact with, It a personal choice , If you feel happy paying the DSC then that's fine, But please don't tell every one else what to do, And im not just referring  to yourself here, But there is a lot of posts on here which are not very nice.
As some one who has worked on a Cruise liners Terminal for over 5 yrs, I no what the cabin/ Waiter staff would sooner have.
But this is a HOLIDAY SITE, lets be a bit more friendly to each other.

That means that you ARE referring to me, but not JUST to me   🙄  The inclusion of the word "just" actually changes the meaning!!!!   Otherwise it should have read "I'm not referring to you"  Get it????

Nowhere have I told anyone what to do, one way or the other (unlike some on here).

Edited by Beamafar

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

That means that you ARE referring to me, but not JUST to me   🙄

I may not have posted it in the best way , But it was not intended as a Personal comment on you. If you feel I did  I Apologise.