Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

What gives you the authority to instruct anyone on how to spend their money?

There really are some unpleasant folk posting on here, who feel they have the moral right to instruct everyone else what they can and can’t do without the foggiest clue of cultural norms, laws, regulations, etc. They jump to conclusions that everyone removes gratuities - it has become incredibly tedious. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Just telling you what most folks would do, be the outlier, don’t pay...living wage, EU rules, blah, blah blah whatever makes you feel better. 

I’m sailing MSC in April, I’ll try and make up for at least one cheapskate who wants to stiff their room steward, etc...

Why should others with their hard earned money make up your wage just because your employer refuses to pay you a decent wage! If you are stupid enough to accept those conditions then more fool you 

I earned my money and I alone will decide how I spend it, no amount of bullying and harrasment by the likes of you will never change that.

Clearly you have money to throw around.

Cruising used to be so simple but with all the differing information from the same cruise lines but in different markets it makes finding the "best" deal almost impossible!!  I don't mind paying the service charge but agree that the UK market draws a particular short straw as others have mentioned before!! 

For many reasons I have chosen MSC over Costa as I really didn't want to have to have huge service charge bill at the end.  At the time, even including the service charge MSC was still slightly cheaper than Costa.  However, I have now a few bookings upcoming with Costa, as I have booked through a european travel agent.  For example, for 2 adults and 1 child a week with Costa on the UK site is £1047, service charge not included.  I have booked the same cruise, via a european website and it is 798 euros, for one week, with the service charge included!! How is that possible or fair? 

I have just come back with a sailing on the AIDAnova and again the price compared to a similar sailing with MSC was nautical miles cheaper.  It also included the service charge and drinks.

It would be so much easier if the cruise just all included the service charge but without inflating the prices.  If it can be done in one European country, I don't see why we have to pay so much more here.  Fairness is all I seek in my quest for a good family cruise!!

I have a short cruise with MSC in April and August then will be just sailing with other lines over the next couple of years.

On a side note - is anyone attending the christening of Belissimma next week?  Again, it was easy to book the Costa Smeralda christening but for the Belissimma, it is, as far as I can tell, only for invited guests and travel agents.  What about their customers.  Or how about a short sailing to nowhere as NCL used to do from Southampton?!!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

There really are some unpleasant folk posting on here, who feel they have the moral right to instruct everyone else what they can and can’t do without the foggiest clue of cultural norms, laws, regulations, etc. They jump to conclusions that everyone removes gratuities - it has become incredibly tedious. 

He's best ignored at this stage.  He was determined to upset the thread by trying to divert the topic into an argument about tipping and generalising about European 'cheapskates'.  I certainly wouldn't call all Americans rude on the basis of his posts.

• Like 1

Though I won't take the position to tell someone else whether they should tip or not, I will say this.

I would be happy if the "tip" was mandatory.  At the end of the day, by people removing the "tip" it's just money out of my pocket.  In the long run, either the level of service is affected, or my cruise price goes up because of people removing the tip.

I'd far prefer to supplement the wage of the employee rather than "yours".  Those who don't automatically "remove" will be better off in the long run, so this is good news to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

Still waiting for proof from the naysayers that all the DSC goes to the crew, so far no one has come forward with it.

If you check youtube for channel 4 undercover cruise, you will find a really interesting documentary where C4 sent a guy on Celebrity working undercover. Can't say MSC work the same but celebrity pay workers with the DSC then top up any shortfall to the agreed wage.

On celebrity the DSC is the workers wage and nothing more.

Actually I dug it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfcKUwzbWpE

This happens on every board and is getting old. There are people who do not want to pay for gratuities or they want to pay it on their "own terms." cause you know? cultural, legal reasons, money doesn't go to crews. Then they throw in a bunch of nonsense about employers should pay them livable rate like they are not part of the reasons these overseas employees are exploited. You can always put money where your mouth is and boycott these cruise companies. Cancel your cruise if you hate it so much. 

You want other customers to subsidize your rate, fine, but don't act like you have full intention to pay for it and blame others for turning it into a debate. It's a waste of time. Most can't even make up their mind to admit that they don't want to pay for it. 

There is an obvious reason they make it "MANDATORY." I am happy that they make it mandatory, so people can't make up nonsense that potentially gets these pour souls fired.

Like it or not, it's called Daily Service Charge, not TIPS.  You pay for the service you received.

If you think the service is bad, ask for a partial refund and never sail MSC. 

Edited by thetaro
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, thetaro said:

This happens on every board and is getting old. There are people who do not want to pay for gratuities or they want to pay it on their "own terms." cause you know? cultural, legal reasons, money doesn't go to crews. Then they throw in a bunch of nonsense about employers should pay them livable rate like they are not part of the reasons these overseas employees are exploited. You can always put money where your mouth is and boycott these cruise companies. Cancel your cruise if you hate it so much. 

You want other customers to subsidize your rate, fine, but don't act like you have full intention to pay for it and blame others for turning it into a debate. It's a waste of time. Most can't even make up their mind to admit that they don't want to pay for it. 

There is an obvious reason they make it "MANDATORY." I am happy that they make it mandatory, so people can't make up nonsense that potentially gets these pour souls fired.

Like it or not, it's called Daily Service Charge, not TIPS.  You pay for the service you received.

Please don't take this thread off topic, this thread has nothing to do with paying or not paying the DSC, this thread is about MSC changing the policy after booking and nothing more. 

• Like 3

As I’ve said on several occasions I’m fine with a mandatory service charge - but it should be included within the overall fare in accordance with UK and EU law. Cruise lines and other vendors are not permitted to advertise a final price and then add a mandatory charge. I understand that in the US and Canada the cruise price is always plus taxes and fees - that’s not the way it’s done here. It’s an important principle based on hard fought consumer protection legislation - undermining those protections is not acceptable.

Why isn’t MSC being transparent and adding the DSC to the fare if they want to make it mandatory? In my view they want to advertise low headline fares as the bait - quite simply, that’s illegal here.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Omega1 said:

As I’ve said on several occasions I’m fine with a mandatory service charge - but it should be included within the overall fare in accordance with UK and EU law. Cruise lines and other vendors are not permitted to advertise a final price and then add a mandatory charge. I understand that in the US and Canada the cruise price is always plus taxes and fees - that’s not the way it’s done here. It’s an important principle based on hard fought consumer protection legislation - undermining those protections is not acceptable.

Why isn’t MSC being transparent and adding the DSC to the fare if they want to make it mandatory? In my view they want to advertise low headline fares as the bait - quite simply, that’s illegal here.

Yes, it should be illegal and they should advertise the full fare. But this is Cruisecritic, people shouldn't act like you don't know DSC is part of the fare. You once have the option to remove it but it's now gone because some people take full advantage of it. That's why we can't have nice things.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, thetaro said:

Yes, it should be illegal and they should advertise the full fare. But this is Cruisecritic, people shouldn't act like you don't know DSC is part of the fare. You once have the option to remove it but it's now gone because some people take full advantage of it. That's why we can't have nice things.

We agree!

Edited by Omega1

16 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Please don't take this thread off topic, this thread has nothing to do with paying or not paying the DSC, this thread is about MSC changing the policy after booking and nothing more. 

If you would like to talk about "changing the policy after booking and nothing more", you should crate a new post. Not jump in on page 11 and tell others what YOU would like to talk about.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I disagree....The title of the thread is Mandatory Service Charges.....I do agree that some took it 'off topic' for a time, but the vast majority are still posting about Mandatory Service Charges!

4 minutes ago, Brew01 said:

If you would like to talk about "changing the policy after booking and nothing more", you should crate a new post. Not jump in on page 11 and tell others what YOU would like to talk about.

If you care to look at page one you will find my posts there, are yours? NO they are not.

Edited by ziggyuk

48 minutes ago, thetaro said:

I pay for the service I recieve in the cruise fare! The DSC should be part of the cruise fare and not used to subsidise poor wages.

15 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I live in the US and have NEVER been quoted a price that did not include port fees and applicable taxes.  Maybe your 'understanding' is not as comprehensive or accurate as you assume.

On the one hand I understand the concern about changing terms after booking, if that actually happens.  It should be noted that until it actually happens it is speculation because all that really matters is what happens on board and there is plenty of history of the corporate side and ship side saying/doing things differently than each other.

OTOH, there is no doubt that there are posts in this thread where people have made it clear that they intended to remove the service charge right from the start - and personally I think THAT is reprehensible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I live in the US and have NEVER been quoted a price that did not include port fees and applicable taxes.  Maybe your 'understanding' is not as comprehensive or accurate as you assume.

On the one hand I understand the concern about changing terms after booking, if that actually happens.  It should be noted that until it actually happens it is speculation because all that really matters is what happens on board and there is plenty of history of the corporate side and ship side saying/doing things differently than each other.

OTOH, there is no doubt that there are posts in this thread where people have made it clear that they intended to remove the service charge right from the start - and personally I think THAT is reprehensible.

At least it is made clear that the base fare does not include port fees and taxes.

12 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Out of interest, as I'm not from the US, so thought I'd investigate for myself.

Just went and looked on all the big cruise lines websites and they all exclude taxes and fees.

They have a slight problem in that sales tax (which I'm assuming is one of the taxes) differs from state to state.

Edited by bobhosk

7 minutes ago, sidari said:

At least it is made clear that the base fare does not include port fees and taxes.

Huh?  Did you even read what I wrote?  In the US the port fees and applicable taxes are ALWAYS included in the price advertised or quoted.  I was quoted 4715 pp when I booked my upcoming Meraviglia cruise.  When I got my invoice it showed a cruise fare of 4,519, and porters and taxes of 196 - which total the quoted 4,715 amount.