Mandatory Service Charges

sidari

1 hour ago, sidari said:

We should know About the DSC, it is one thing for MSC to say they are doing something with the money but in reality pocketing it themselves!

As I have said previously I/ we pay for the service we recieve in the cruise fare already, the DSC is just another way of not paying decent wages and expecting customers to make them up.

Hi

The thought is ridiculous. If they were indeed "pocketing it themselves", then the only motivation for their crew to remain with the company while they could easily apply with other companies that state where/who the gratuities go to, would be that MSC treats them better in other ways. Either way, the crew is satisfied or they would not stay. The only people who do not seem satisfied are those who feel the gratuities should not be mandatory. For whatever reason...I saw for some it is the legal aspects of how this needs to be introduced, for some it's the thought that those crew members who want to take advantage of the situation will stop providing proper service, and I am sure a number of others (oh yes...it's my money and I should be the one who says where it should go). It really doesn't matter. The crew will get their tips. Those that don't like it have the option to not deal with this company in the future. I can only feel that if "all" the people who make it a habit to "stiff" the staff move to other cruise lines, then you will find other cruise lines doing the same thing.

2 hours ago, Omega1 said:

The impact is the same but the methodology isn’t - one is legal,  the other isn’t (in the UK). As others have said, MSC should now build the DSC into the upfront cost, but they probably won’t because they want to advertise low fares. There will be people who are new to cruising where the t&c’s they have been given make no reference to a mandatory DSC, MSC hasn’t directly informed them and their TAs don’t even know about it. How can that be fair? Is it MSC stiffing the passenger?

This last part of this comment describes my situation to a T. As a first time cruiser I had no knowledge of auto gratuities/daily service charge and no reason to suspect there would be one. I thought I had researched my cruise (all online) quite well and knew what would cost extra if I chose to add them (drinks packages, excursions, certain restaurants, spa, internet, photos etc.). You don't know to look for something you don't even suspect.

Of course I had in mind that at the end of my holiday I would tip certain staff - bar, waiters and room stewards in the same way I do on a holiday in a hotel.

Upon booking my TA never informed me of this daily charge in over 20 emails exchanged between us and 4 telephone calls (and I did point out to her that this would be our 1st cruise).

I found out some time later via a Facebook group. Via the same group I also found out that many people "opt" out and tip staff direct. I also read debates about whether the auto daily charge actually went to the front line staff.

Based on everything (not having known about the charge at the outset and thus not having worked it into my budget, the option to tip direct & the debate over where the auto charge actually went) I decided to tip direct & yes I will admit that the amount wouldn't have come to the £400 that would be added the daily charge way.

At no point did I believe this made me mean or tight or that I shouldn't cruise. My family and I have saved for 4 years for this cruise. It is by far the most expensive holiday I have ever had and a "once in a lifetime" type experience for us. To now be told the daily charge is mandatory weeks prior to going (6th April) is like a slap in the face - and again to find out via a Facebook group is unprofessional to say the least.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, redandrea7119 said:

Based on everything (not having known about the charge at the outset and thus not having worked it into my budget, the option to tip direct & the debate over where the auto charge actually went) I decided to tip direct & yes I will admit that the amount wouldn't have come to the £400 that would be added the daily charge way.

At no point did I believe this made me mean or tight or that I shouldn't cruise. My family and I have saved for 4 years for this cruise. It is by far the most expensive holiday I have ever had and a "once in a lifetime" type experience for us. To now be told the daily charge is mandatory weeks prior to going (6th April) is like a slap in the face - and again to find out via a Facebook group is unprofessional to say the least.

Hi

Don't feel personally insulted. These type of changes always come about because of the actions of others (unfortunately it is because of the actions of many others). If you feel your T.A. has let you down in keeping you totally informed, there is no obligation to remain faithful.

Why don't you look at it as one less thing that you have to concern yourself about. You are still free to give additionally to anyone who you feel deserves it. Also, don't forget the gratuities being talked about don't go to any bar staff. The gratuities for the bar staff are not optional.

4 hours ago, Omega1 said:

The impact is the same but the methodology isn’t - one is legal,  the other isn’t (in the UK). As others have said, MSC should now build the DSC into the upfront cost, but they probably won’t because they want to advertise low fares. There will be people who are new to cruising where the t&c’s they have been given make no reference to a mandatory DSC, MSC hasn’t directly informed them and their TAs don’t even know about it. How can that be fair? Is it MSC stiffing the passenger?

Is there ANY mention of a service charge any where in the terms and conditions? ive read through what we have and cant find any mention of any type of service charge 

One thing to bear in mind, is that the DSC on your particular cruise does NOT go to the crew on that cruise ! If you think logically, the crew personnel are continually changing due to their individual contracts. They also change ships during their contracts.

The DSC is sent to the company and the individual crew members are given a bonus at the end of their contracts. 

We were also told that the bonus did not equate to the DSC and a percentage was kept by the company.

Mandy

2 hours ago, glittergal1 said:

Is there ANY mention of a service charge any where in the terms and conditions? ive read through what we have and cant find any mention of any type of service charge 

No mention whatsoever in the t&c’s I received at the time of booking.

1 hour ago, GrandyMandy said:

We were also told that the bonus did not equate to the DSC and a percentage was kept by the company.

Mandy

That has been stated on CC many times and not just MSC. Several years ago, we were on a Princess cruise and during a Q&A session with the Hotel Manager, he stated that gratuities were pooled from all ships across the line. Surprisingly, he stated that an administration fee was deducted by head office but, when pressed, he said he didn’t know (or wasn’t prepared to say) what percentage that was. Cruise lines keep such matters very close to their chests.

5 hours ago, redandrea7119 said:

......to find out via a Facebook group is unprofessional to say the least.

It seems as though you are a relatively well informed new cruiser. There will be many others who book a cruise based on an advert they have seen - often booking their cruise through a high street travel agent.. They won’t be on Facebook or Cruisecritic etc. to pick up the latest info. In this scenario, information they receive before and after booking makes no reference to a mandatory DSC. I cannot see how that is fair and IMO contrary to UK consumer legislation.

Once again, this is nothing to do with the ‘to tip, or not to tip’ debate, despite how many times some folk seem intent on derailing the discussion .

• Like 1

Some interesting stuff here, certainly some that I was unaware of.

That said the haters and hyjack masters are derailing the real point of my fellow Mancunians post!

-This is not about who pays or elects not to

-Not about who provides subsidies to others cruise experience ...or actually doesn't as that is just bull

-Not even about where the gratuities end up and if this is fair

-Also the tax implications ...though that is a strong moral point very closely linked.

But for everyone to remember, this is about the legality of what is changing the terms of a booking made in good faith and paid, especially in full.

Secondly there is a worrying trend here by MSC and that is the way they operate ...making changes by stealth, creeping through the back door with the perception of doing this within a belief that to do it open door style is almost dangerous.

Everyone on these boards is entitled to an opinion, most of us live in countries that shed blood to preserve that right.

I don't care who pays, who pays direct or who has no intention of paying and thus this a potential nightmare, but I do reserve the right to defend my rights...even if it becomes a mere stubborn principle.

I know personally, however this plays out, whatever happens on Seaview next month, this being so close to the drinks package has already cost MSC a booking made yesterday and that makes me sad, very sad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Omega1 said:

No mention whatsoever in the t&c’s I received at the time of booking.

There was no mention in the T&Cs that I received with the direct booking for our cruise on Poesia last September.  I emailed MSC on Sunday, requesting a copy of the T&Cs that were in existence at the time I booked our next October's cruise, advising them that I haven't received a copy to date.  As I've said earlier, I never received a reply yesterday, despite the fact that I always receive a reply about a current booking on the same day!

I've requested the German TA (that we have our August booking with) to contact MSC and clarify the matter, as they're quoting the current German website to me which states that I can cancel or reduce the amount of the service charge onboard.

1 hour ago, citizenfrank said:

... the haters and hyjack masters are derailing the real point of my fellow Mancunians post!

It would be interesting to know if the same ones pre-pay for drinks packages, upgrades, etc. just to avoid the 15% service charge that's added onboard.  Surely they're "stiffing" all the bar/lounge staff by doing so!

1 hour ago, citizenfrank said:

-Also the tax implications ...though that is a strong moral point very closely linked.

I can't see any tax implications whatsoever?   It's not as if my cruise booking has any VAT (UK sales tax) that is being missed?  Anyone care to elaborate?

Just got this through   Good Morning,

Following our conversation the other day, I’ve now received an email back from MSC.

MSC have now confirmed this rule has now been removed and only for the UK, so the tips are not compulsory.

Clients can remove them at the end of the cruise if they are not happy with the service.

Hope this helps, please contact customer services if you still need any help on

3 minutes ago, legin1 said:

Following our conversation the other day, I’ve now received an email back from MSC.

MSC have now confirmed this rule has now been removed and only for the UK, so the tips are not compulsory.

Clients can remove them at the end of the cruise if they are not happy with the service.

Thanks for sharing.

34 minutes ago, legin1 said:

Is this official now?

Thank you 

Hi,

This came from Cruise 1st so I guess they got it direct from someone with authority  at MSC as she said she would only get back to me once it was confirmed.Still don't see the Main website updated, apparently they did not figure on so much negative feedback. Hopefully they might do the job properly next time and include it on new bookings only if thats the way things are going to go.

5 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

There must have been some push-back for MSC to do a volte-face on this one!

I’m surprised there would have been a significant push back - how would people have known unless informed by Facebook or CC? I also suspect there is an element of realisation that they have fallen foul of UK/EU regs. Whatever, the whole episode beggars belief.

4 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

I’m surprised there would have been a significant push back - how would people have known unless informed by Facebook or CC? I also suspect there is an element of realisation that they have fallen foul of UK/EU regs. Whatever, the whole episode beggars belief.

Totally agree!  It seems that the "Breaking news" was only to announce that the policy has been rescinded.  So much for the drama!

However, it hasn't been rescinded (yet) in other EU countries.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:35 AM, sidari said:

It is about the fact MSC as per usual sneakily added it to the website with no warning to anyone already booked, many people will have moved on from the page shown in the photo without actually seeing the statement about Mandatory charges. At least one poster on this thread who already has.

Cruise lines especially, change terms and conditions regularly without the customer knowing about them and it is only usually if you read the small print that you actually see the change has been made.

The queues at guest services will no doubt get longer and complaints/arguements more heated when those who remove the service charge on a regular basis are told NO!

Not sure how they can justify a forced payment for sub standard service because there is no reason for any crew member to do their best if they know guests cannot remove the service charge.

AGREED! 

Staff assuming they're getting tipped, regardless of level of service automatically decreases the level of service!!!
I am guilty of having AutoGrats removed!!! For the first time ever I had the AutoGrat/Service Charges removed from our folios.  Our room was not prepared correctly - the toilet was broken - and the bag with our pressing didn't get taken when it should have been, forcing us to pay a 50% upcharge for 'express' pressing to get our clothes back in time... so yes - I removed the auto-grat/service charge from our folio.  I informed Customer Service that I would tip when we received service worthy of it! Twice in fact - because they ignored my request to stop charging automatically the first time. 
Turns out that after the 2nd time we had the grats removed from our folio the quality of service received from our Room Steward swiftly improved to an acceptable level. We did go back to Customer Service and have 4 days worth of grats added back at the end of the cruise - we did tip when level of service warranted.  That in addition to the envelopes hand delivered to our Serving Staff in the Dining Room, and Spa Operators. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, legin1 said:

Hi, I have just had the same info from my TA, It may well be added on board, But can be removed by going to the CS on the first day on board. UK passengers only.

As those of us within the same shared mindset said all along, it was not about the DSC itself and the debate that always surrounds it, you know the one that the keyboard warriors love to have on here whilst doing the dishes under instruction from the Mrs.

I have NO OBJECTION if MSC elect to go down the route of mandatory DSC, providing it's transparent from the outset of the booking process and thus becomes part of the choice process.

Similarly I've posted several times that I will purchase Premium Plus on sailings as I value the content and accept the price, but again I didn't value it being changed, sneakily and after I had booked in good faith an alternative.

This decision shows, to be fair, that MSC listens to its customers and that is the sign of a good business.

However it should refrain from the 'under the table' type implementation of policies moving forwards as their actions within the drinks package, DSC, qualification process for black card status and much more WILL HAVE done damage.

A result of sorts and praise to the genuine protesters over the joy riders ...are those dishes spotless? And when are you tackling the trash and the garden?