EDGE, EDEN, MAGIC CARPET: AN UNBIASED REVIEW

marylander2

There may be empty cabins, but based on pricing I’ve been following little to no discounting.  Yes perks are being offered, but they should be at $2800pp for a week in the Caribbean in a balcony.  Almost 3 times the price of competing ships. I’ll wait until pricing becomes less inflated.  

There is no doubt EDGE is pretty much on fire right now, and Celebrity is taking full advantage of those high per diems.  Obviously they would rather go out with some empty cabins than deep discount and jeopardize pricing integrity.  Probably a good move on their part.  

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

The next sailing 3/3/19 stills shows 120 open staterooms...….that's a lot of empty rooms for a brand new ship..... about 1/4 are suites, which is NOT the norm for Celebrity at all.  

And when a brand new ship hits the "Exciting Deals" board within 3 months of inauguration, you know something is not working.

• Like 1

I sail all the cruise lines and most brand new ship designs.  There are always discounts and incentives even on brand new ships.  There are so many new ships these days it’s really not that special.  

What I’ve seen with EDGE is no discounts (except perks) and very high pricing.  Compare with NIEUW STATENDAM, another brand new ship competing directly with EDGE.  You can sail on her for $499 for a week and the ship still isn’t selling out.  Try that on EDGE and when you see it, please let me know!  

I think a lot of people on this board want EDGE to fail for whatever reasons.  Sorry to disappoint but I don’t think that is the case.  I’m guessing Celebrity is making a lot of $$ off the ship already.  

Now if you don’t like EDGE or her IV cabins that is perfectly understandable.  Choose one of the hundreds of other ships sailing. Choice is a great thing! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eroller said:

I sail all the cruise lines and most brand new ship designs.  There are always discounts and incentives even on brand new ships.  There are so many new ships these days it’s really not that special.  

What I’ve seen with EDGE is no discounts (except perks) and very high pricing.  Compare with NIEUW STATENDAM, another brand new ship competing directly with EDGE.  You can sail on her for $499 for a week and the ship still isn’t selling out.  Try that on EDGE and when you see it, please let me know!  

I think a lot of people on this board want EDGE to fail for whatever reasons.  Sorry to disappoint but I don’t think that is the case.  I’m guessing Celebrity is making a lot of $$ off the ship already.  

Now if you don’t like EDGE or her IV cabins that is perfectly understandable.  Choose one of the hundreds of other ships sailing. Choice is a great thing! 

I think people are hoping it fails because they are worried about their own mortality and irrelevance.  They dont want to accept that time and culture and preferences changes.  They dont want to think that they are no longer trendsetters and market movers.  they worry that any new lines of ships in the future will slip even further from their grasp.  they refuse to accept that it might be appropriate to start looking at more static offerings that offer more "traditional" experiences. 

7 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think people are hoping it fails because they are worried about their own mortality and irrelevance.  They dont want to accept that time and culture and preferences changes.  They dont want to think that they are no longer trendsetters and market movers.  they worry that any new lines of ships in the future will slip even further from their grasp.  they refuse to accept that it might be appropriate to start looking at more static offerings that offer more "traditional" experiences. 

Huh?

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Huh #2.  That’s nuts

Edited by Caymus88
  • Like 3

I'm not going to worry about my mortality or irrelevance. All I know is that I have never seen a hearse with a luggage rack! So acruising I (we) go. We are Elite plus on X and just got off a wonderful HAL cruise. The reason for HAL is simple. I want to save my hearing and enjoy all the ship has to offer without having to buy hearing aids when I get off. IMO, the food and service on HAL are at least the equal to X and a bit better in many areas. 

We really like X, but the volume of their shows and in general is ridiculous. That is sad since we like our X cruises and the bennies we now get as Elite+. I don't go around doing comparisons that blah blah is better because of whatever. Will we ever go on the Edge?? Probably not but never say never. Maybe someone in corporate will realize that people enjoy their hearing and turn it down a bit. Don't hold your breath for that......

Phil........floridacruisers 

• Like 1

Just now, floridacruisers said:

I'm not going to worry about my mortality or irrelevance. All I know is that I have never seen a hearse with a luggage rack! So acruising I (we) go. We are Elite plus on X and just got off a wonderful HAL cruise. The reason for HAL is simple. I want to save my hearing and enjoy all the ship has to offer without having to buy hearing aids when I get off. IMO, the food and service on HAL are at least the equal to X and a bit better in many areas. 

We really like X, but the volume of their shows and in general is ridiculous. That is sad since we like our X cruises and the bennies we now get as Elite+. I don't go around doing comparisons that blah blah is better because of whatever. Will we ever go on the Edge?? Probably not but never say never. Maybe someone in corporate will realize that people enjoy their hearing and turn it down a bit. Don't hold your breath for that......

Phil........floridacruisers 

Our next group cruise is HAL

on our Edge cruise most of us brought ear plugs...

But those who didn’t OMG

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

Huh #3   Just Wow???.???

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Sometimes new and different is just... new and different.  It isn’t always better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

Huh #4

While we loved the Edge and especially the shows, watching the crowd during the shows, many people had a look of, what did I get myself into. 

I just think that that this is so different than other Celebrity ships, basing this on comments on CC and from a few onboard, that i am guessing it is like switching lines for some loyal to Celebrity. We are new to Celebrity and it fit with what we have come to expect out of a cruise. We did hear a few people comment to others to not judge Celebrity by the Edge. It will be interesting to see what they do in the future. 

It wasn’t perfect and we are excited to see what they change on the Apex. I am surprised there is so many comments on the sewer smell, as we have smelled that odor at some point on every ship we have been on, we just assumed it is just one of those cruising things. 

Celebrity did reach out to my wife about our comments so we will see how that conversation goes. It does tell me that they are going to listen and work to get things right:)

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, UnorigionalName said:

And some are very full of themselves....or something else.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1