Royal Princess, any passenger seating areas?

sskate

Are there any indoor/covered public seating areas on the Royal that you can just sit down and watch the sea any time, not eating?   

My mum is very old, she has to sit down often and she eats very little.

I've looked at the deck plans, it seems that the restaurants have all the windows of the ship for themselves.

Your Mum will be able to sit wherever she wants with the exception of the extra fee restaurants (they usually don't have a window anyway.)  There are many tables poolside which are under cover where she may spend a wonderful afternoon watching the ocean go by.  She can take a table anywhere she has a good view, and doesn't need to 'buy' a thing.  I hope Mum enjoys her cruise.

There are plenty of tables that will fit your needs.

• Like 3

The Horizon Court (I forgot what it’s called on the Royal) has tables & windows so you can watch the scenery and be comfortable.  The Piazza has lots of seating & usually some sort of entertainment.  Most of the public areas have seating and some near a window.  

Good luck & have fun on your cruise.  

As the others have said, there will be lots of places to just sit. And other than the tables and chairs there are some couches and chairs under cover near the pool.  There are also lots of chairs near windows on the inside on the promenade deck.  During the day lots of the bars have nice chairs to sit in and watch the sea go by.  

The covered outdoor Horizon Terrace has tables & chairs aft of the Horizon Court buffet.  The Outrigger Bar area has covered wicker padded chairs with great views from the aft end of the ship.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/royal-princess-400/

94D83903-A568-4053-8DE1-96ED95702737.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, vjblk said:

As the others have said, there will be lots of places to just sit. And other than the tables and chairs there are some couches and chairs under cover near the pool.  There are also lots of chairs near windows on the inside on the promenade deck.  During the day lots of the bars have nice chairs to sit in and watch the sea go by.  

Thank you for your suggestions.  Is there a promenade deck on the Royal?  Do we have to buy drinks at the bar in order to sit down?  My mum doesn't drink wine or any alcohol, she has some heart problem that prevents her from drinking alcohol.

29 minutes ago, sskate said:

Thank you for your suggestions.  Is there a promenade deck on the Royal?  Do we have to buy drinks at the bar in order to sit down?  My mum doesn't drink wine or any alcohol, she has some heart problem that prevents her from drinking alcohol.

No promenade deck which goes around the ship.  A common complaint.  She can sit in any of the bars, drink or not.   She can read there.  Friend and I used one of the bars to play cards. Sometimes we had a drink, sometimes not.

1 hour ago, sskate said:

You never have to order a drink in any of the bars at any time.  In the evenings when some of the venues have music you can just sit and listen.  They might come and ask you and you just have to say no thank you.  We have sat in the bars at the windows during the day and just read.  No problem. And we have sat by the pool at the tables and watched whatever they have on the MUTs.  Lots of people play cards at those tables. We have also just sat in the Horizon Court without eating.  Regarding the Promenade deck, it doesn't go all the way around.  There are a few chairs to sit in though on the part open to passengers.  Don't worry she will have plenty of places to sit and rest.  And Don't be afraid to ask to share a table if need be. Most people won't mind sharing.

There is seating on the Promenade deck forward, mid-ship and aft.

There is also a covered seating area on Sun deck aft just outside the port side elevators and before the Retreat pool.

And, there are seating areas around the main pool on Lido deck. 

9B278DBF-8D27-48D9-9D28-92A5B68FC05F.jpeg

0739771A-14DD-48A1-B2BC-3AB8C073F744.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The covered outdoor Horizon Terrace has tables & chairs aft of the Horizon Court buffet.  The Outrigger Bar area has covered wicker padded chairs with great views from the aft end of the ship.

Horizon Terrace became my favorite place last time we were on the Royal in the Carib.  Totally shaded so no worry about sunburn <g>.  Also, when I was out there only a few other people so it's quiet as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

94D83903-A568-4053-8DE1-96ED95702737.jpeg

One of my favorite areas!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Horizon Terrace became my favorite place last time we were on the Royal in the Carib.  Totally shaded so no worry about sunburn <g>.  Also, when I was out there only a few other people so it's quiet as well.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

One of my favorite areas!

Shhhh 🤫...let’s keep it a secret to reduce competition for a place to sit. ☺️

• Like 3

There is an area on Promenade Deck, mid-ships, that is a small open, uncovered deck with some comfortable seating (not the usual deck chairs).  When that is in the shade, it is  a very pleasant place to sit and watch the ocean.  it was difficult for me to find, however.

23 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Ha! My lips are sealed Frank!   :classic_ninja:

Beginning with the Sky the aft end of the ship will be much different...looks like déjà vu to me & like on most of the various versions of Grand-Class ships. The pool is on Lido deck and the upper deck is on Sun deck...lots of ☀️ there. 😎

9991E62E-4586-42E0-B70F-895795170666.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer

17 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Beginning with the Sky the aft end of the ship will be much different...looks like déjà vu to me & like on most of the various versions of Grand-Class ships. The pool is on Lido deck and the upper deck is on Sun deck...lots of ☀️ there. 😎

9991E62E-4586-42E0-B70F-895795170666.jpeg

All I can say is huh  🤔..........what goes around comes around.  Looks awesome. 😉

19 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There is an area on Promenade Deck, mid-ships, that is a small open, uncovered deck with some comfortable seating (not the usual deck chairs).  When that is in the shade, it is  a very pleasant place to sit and watch the ocean.  it was difficult for me to find, however.

Never could figure out the point of those "little" areas on the Promenade Deck--certainly not a decent substitute for the covered wrap-around wide promenade on the Grand and Crown class ships IMHO.  I guess they want to keep everyone inside <g>.

4 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Never could figure out the point of those "little" areas on the Promenade Deck--certainly not a decent substitute for the covered wrap-around wide promenade on the Grand and Crown class ships IMHO.  I guess they want to keep everyone inside <g>.

The only time people seem to use them is during sail away.

4 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

They were used quite steadily on the Regal the 6 times we have sailed her.

To me it is better than nothing and actually quite nice.

If she wants very quiet and isolated ( at least when I've been there), the rear promenade deck area is amazing.  It goes around the rear of the ship.  There are a few loungers to sit on and its lovely to just sit and enjoy the wake or side views. 

Depending on time of day, one side or the other is in the shade.  

Edited by cruisintoddler

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They were used quite steadily on the Regal the 6 times we have sailed her.

To me it is better than nothing and actually quite nice.

During my Royal Princess cruise and finding this deck space, all of the seating was full when I arrived, yet plenty of deck space (and room for more chairs, in my opinion) for others to enjoy the view/experience.  People soon moved and I enjoyed a comfortable seat for several minutes in this rather secluded space. 

Just now, rkacruiser said:

During my Royal Princess cruise and finding this deck space, all of the seating was full when I arrived, yet plenty of deck space (and room for more chairs, in my opinion) for others to enjoy the view/experience.  People soon moved and I enjoyed a comfortable seat for several minutes in this rather secluded space. 

Yeah people seem to come and go throughout the day so eventually one can get loungers. 

On 2/25/2019 at 5:53 AM, rkacruiser said:

Why was it difficult to find?  Do you mean hard to find a vacant seat?