Berths 91-93 San Pedro

jamesnnb

22 minutes ago, eqj60 said:

Thanks Astro Flyer for quick response.

I was wondering  if anyone had recent experience boarding at berth 46, size, waiting areas, etc as we have delayed boarding since ship just in from SA.

Hopefully someone will provide you with a more current update but I haven’t seen any in a long time.  Your 3/30 embarkation on the Star is the only one at B46 on the current schedule.

Back in 2015 there were 4 ships in LA requiring using B54 which was described as a cold foods warehouse.

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

There is a second building for the other two slips 91/92. Luggage is dropped off at the tent.

The building at 93 is used for all embarkations since that is where Xray machines are set up. Luggage has been dropped off at all three berths and disembarkation has been at all three. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, jlp20 said:

The building at 93 is used for all embarkations since that is where Xray machines are set up. Luggage has been dropped off at all three berths and disembarkation has been at all three. 

The information you are providing here is misleading. Those boarding at 91 and 92 do not drop off at the building for 93. They drop off luggage at the tent as you come around the corner from the battleship just before the building for 91/92, and then proceed through a security check on the outside of the building for 91/92. The security check is in a small separate tent just outside the building on the right.

Here is a link to a google street view of 91/92 building and with a sign for luggage drop off.

35 minutes ago, TheRabbit said:

The information you are providing here is misleading.

There is no set point where luggage is dropped. It all depends on the number of ships in port and where their tied up. Further, the entire curb/luggage situation is run by third party. They set up where the cruise center instructs them for that sailing. We have sailed seven times out of Los Angeles, luggage HAS been dropped off in front of all three locations. Same front door used seven times and ships have been at all three locations. Bottom line is you unload where their set up, how far they have to transport all the carts is their problem.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:54 PM, Ferd Berfle said:

92 terminal is basically a tent adjacent to a small terminal building.  It's about 1/3 the size of 93.

We're on 3/23 and are told to not hurry since everybody getting off after SA cruise will get fingerprinted including crew.  Princess optimistically says we will depart on time.  Ha!

We were on the Santiago, Chile to San Pedro cruise last March.  We only had to show our passports per usual and answer a few questions (what are you binging back?) and then sent on our way.  There was no fingerprinting etc.  I did see the line for non-US citizens which was long but did not see any fingerprinting taking place although I easily could have missed it.  So strange that you mention this now.  I do realize regulations do change however with the current political climate here. 

10 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

We were on the Santiago, Chile to San Pedro cruise last March.  We only had to show our passports per usual and answer a few questions (what are you binging back?) and then sent on our way.  There was no fingerprinting etc.  I did see the line for non-US citizens which was long but did not see any fingerprinting taking place although I easily could have missed it.  So strange that you mention this now.  I do realize regulations do change however with the current political climate here. 

Not strange at all, we got this notification:

EMBARKATION UPDATE

Please be advised that embarkation for your Royal Princess cruise departing Los Angeles on Saturday, March 23, 2019 will now begin at 2:30 PM. Royal Princess will be returning from South America and all guests will be required to clear U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) upon arrival. These clearance formalities are expected to take longer than normal to complete.

To ease terminal congestion we kindly ask that you refer to your updated progressive check-in time. Please do not arrive prior to your scheduled check-in time as there is very limited seating and facilities available in the terminal.

All guests must be onboard by 4:00 PM, and Royal Princess will depart at 5:00 PM. If you have purchased a Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests with independent transfers should be guided accordingly.

You  may not have noticed a delay last March but a lot of folks were out on the curb outside berth 93 until after 2PM without any place to sit with no water or services.  Princess was not allowed to provide services outside.  We were told then that all Non-US passengers had to be fingerprinted - so I slipped up and said everyone - so sorry but it was still a disaster.   We are hearing this time that all Crew will have to disembark and clear CBP.

The Royal is going to be at B92 - even more opportunity for disaster.

Ah OK.  As I said the non-US line was long and did not appear to be moving all that quickly.  Our US citizen line was short and quick thankfully.  You are correct we did not pay attention to those waiting to board.  Thanks for the correction.  

18 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Ah OK.  As I said the non-US line was long and did not appear to be moving all that quickly.  Our US citizen line was short and quick thankfully.  You are correct we did not pay attention to those waiting to board.  Thanks for the correction.  

👍

24 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Ah OK.  As I said the non-US line was long and did not appear to be moving all that quickly.  Our US citizen line was short and quick thankfully.

We had the same experience when arriving in LA from Buenos Aires on the Golden in March 2014.

Aussie friends had a midnight flight home so we weren’t in a hurry to disembark.  The slow process resulted in about a 90 minute delay in our scheduled disembarkation time.  By the time our group could go it was nearly noon & their slow moving line for non-USA citizens stretched the length of the pier.  We quickly cleared CBP but it took until about 1:30 for them to exit B93 and we could drive them around LA to see some of the sights before flying home.

12 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thanks for the photos and explanation Astro Flyer.

Slightly off topic but still deals with embarkation:  Is it now the norm that rooms are not available until 1 PM?

You’re welcome Renee...the times we couldn’t access our room until about 1:00 have been on the Royal & Regal.  Sometimes when boarding at about noon access to the cabins passageway wasn’t closed & our cabin attendant allowed us to drop off our carryons before lunch in the MDR. 

Since sometimes Princess can be described as being “consistently inconsistent” I don’t have a clue about what you will experience. 😉

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Berth 46 might be the one all the way down at the end.  We disembarked there a few years ago when there were two ships already docked at 92/93 where we embarked.  They shuttled us in buses to the parking lot.....we had no idea it would go that way and delayed us a bit......

6 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

Berth 46 might be the one all the way down at the end.  We disembarked there a few years ago when there were two ships already docked at 92/93 where we embarked.  They shuttled us in buses to the parking lot.....we had no idea it would go that way and delayed us a bit......

On one day in 2015 there were 4 ships in the port at 93/92/46 and at B54 which was described as a cold food warehouse & pier.

41 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

On one day in 2015 there were 4 ships in the port at 93/92/46 and at B54 which was described as a cold food warehouse & pier.

We boarded the Crown Princess that day from Berth 54.  It was the most lengthy boarding that I have ever experienced at San Pedro.  We'd hired a driver and, so, did not have to mess with parking.  We just sat in the car until we rolled up to where most of the porters were.  That probably took 20 minutes.  Then we just followed the mob through the check-in and security procedures.  That was probably another hour.  My recollection is that the ship left on time.

A friend of mine was disembarking off a Royal Caribbean ship at Berth 46 that same day.  He told me that the whole disembarkation for them was pretty messed up, also.

We all figured it out, though.  🙂

1 minute ago, XBGuy said:

We boarded the Crown Princess that day from Berth 54.  It was the most lengthy boarding that I have ever experienced at San Pedro.  We'd hired a driver and, so, did not have to mess with parking.  We just sat in the car until we rolled up to where most of the porters were.  That probably took 20 minutes.  Then we just followed the mob through the check-in and security procedures.  That was probably another hour.  My recollection is that the ship left on time.

A friend of mine was disembarking off a Royal Caribbean ship at Berth 46 that same day.  He told me that the whole disembarkation for them was pretty messed up, also.

We all figured it out, though.  🙂

Glad that it eventually worked out for you...hopefully no passengers ended up in the cold food storage area. ☺️

• 3 years later...