First Time Cruising Celebrity...beginning to get concerned

AnnemarieC76

On 2/26/2019 at 12:22 PM, AnnemarieC76 said:

I have been on numerous cruises in the past all NCL and RCCL...this is my first time booking a cruise on Celebrity.  The itinerary and timing worked out perfect.  There are four of in our family so we decided to book 2 inside cabins.  In the past I have tried all types of cabins; however, it made the most sense for us to go with inside this time.  HOWEVER, after reading through these boards I am beginning to think that booking Celebrity might have been a mistake..it is appearing as though if you book an inside cabin you are treated as though you are a second class citizen...not just from the staff but from some of the passengers as well...I have read more about the areas we will not be permitted in than I have about the areas we will be permitted in.   Am I getting the wrong impression? or Should I book us on a different cruise line?  I am looking for honest answers...please!  

From your question, it seems more likely to me, that you might be confusing MSC Yacht Club experience, vs other MSC "Experiences". Not Celebrity.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I have seen many of the posts to which you refer and am not disputing their existence. However the attributution of those negative posts to a particular level of Captains Club by you I think is a leap. Many cruisers on this board make no reference to their own levels in the loyalty club so how you could know that information, or can quantify it puts your point in doubt. It seems more like you are attacking an entire group over your perceptions that post by a few individuals reflects the attitudes of all. That is a very dangerous slippery slope to descend. Valuation of each person's opinion as an opinion of only just that person would serve better.

I used that term because of several comments in the past few weeks suggesting "Elite" be renamed "Entitled"   I didn't used the term to refer to a Captains Club specific status as much as to refer to someone who thinks they are superior to others.   

I'm glad you validated the basis of my post however, in your first sentence. 

• Like 1

Only snarky comments I have seen so far on the Celebrity boards have been about family/age/kids than what cabins you are in.  Been taking the family on cruises for Spring Break the past 6 years (Carnival and Royal Caribbean).  Living in WI where it is 3 outside right now,  I look forward to spending time where it is above freezing!  We are taking our first Celebrity cruise out of dry dock on Summit next month (aligned with kids Spring Break and new ports we have not been to). 

On the roll call, I saw people hoping that there would not be kids on the cruise.  My thought there was then you should not be cruising during Spring Break!  Other comments were that price of airfare to Puerto Rico should keep families from flying there.  The comments did stop though when I posted that my 3 kids are booked in their own Concierge cabin : )

So, enjoy your cruise and do not worry about what cabin your are in.  Just worry if you look/are under 25 or have young kids.

4 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Frankly, yes, I can afford a suite and buy my entitlement to the restaurant, lounge and special invites but I can only do that for one cruise which amounts to a lot of saving of my hard earned money and then I wouldn't be able to cruise for another three years.  So, to the person who said, "You just have to pay for it".  It's not that simple.  

I can relate to having to make this choice about cruising. I would prefer to cruise once or twice a year in inside or OV cabin. DH prefers to save for the best experience we can afford, therefor we cruise every two or three years in order to have at least a balcony, or if luck is with us, we can afford a Sky suite. I think anything above that will probably be forever out of reach.

As for Luminae being right there by the MDR, I think that was the only feasible spot with access to the kitchen. It looks like it was originally a corner of the MDR. 

• Like 2

Honestly this really is a none story, I don’t expect a single person to behave any different to me because i’m not staying in a suite in Septembers cruise. I’ve also never come across a single cruiser who cares what room you are in. Don’t ever remember discussing our room over dinner with other cruisers in 20 years.

53 minutes ago, bermadu22 said:

As for Luminae being right there by the MDR, I think that was the only feasible spot with access to the kitchen. It looks like it was originally a corner of the MDR. 

The problem is that X allocated far greater space / guest in Luminae leaving those of us in mdr banging elbows with next table.

• Like 1

In Blu the tables for two are also like you describe on S-class ships where it is nowhere near the MDR. The table placement obviously has nothing to do there with anything being taken from the MDR. It may be a less than desirable table placement, but has nothing to do with anything being taken from the diners who dine in Blu or the MDR. But the main point of all of this is to reassure the OP that she and her family will be treated well by fellow passengers and crew and will have access to plenty of food venues, pools, entertainment and bars on the ship.

17 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

In Blu the tables for two are also like you describe on S-class ships where it is nowhere near the MDR. The table placement obviously has nothing to do there with anything being taken from the MDR. It may be a less than desirable table placement, but has nothing to do with anything being taken from the diners who dine in Blu or the MDR. But the main point of all of this is to reassure the OP that she and her family will be treated well by fellow passengers and crew and will have access to plenty of food venues, pools, entertainment and bars on the ship.

My comment referred to Luminae, not Blu.  Sailed Eclipse before and after Luminae carve-out and could definitely feel the additional tightness in mdr.

35 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

My comment referred to Luminae, not Blu.  Sailed Eclipse before and after Luminae carve-out and could definitely feel the additional tightness in mdr.

I did understand what you meant but mentioned Blu's table placement just to point out that tables for two are placed close together in other venues as well even though Luminae has absolutely nothing to do with them. I think that these days there are many more tables for two available than there were 10-20 years ago. In order to accommodate their popularity they are close together. I was just offering another possibility for the close placement. 

47 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I did understand what you meant but mentioned Blu's table placement.

In order to accommodate their popularity tables for two are close together.

This is true, but it also gives the Maitre D' more flexibility in pushing tables for 2 together or apart so they can also seat 4's, 6's and 8's. 

Edited by mfs2k

The Summit is my favorite ship and had the best staff.  However my last cruise was disappointing as they took away most of the excellent staff members to train and place them on the Edge.  The service on a whole was sub-standard.  I am anxious to see the changes post-revolution.  I believe the first cruise will be May 23rd.  One difference will be that there will be a lot more passengers as they are adding several new cabins.  Some A1 cabins will be added on Deck 10 taking half of the spa away.  The quality of cruising on the Summit was a lot better with Captain Kate at the helm.  Sadly she is now on the Equinox and moving on to the Edge.  I will soon see first-hand if Summit life has improved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/25/travel/captain-kate-mccue-women-celebrity-cruises.html

I was not suggesting she did but she was very involved and quite visible. There was a very big difference in the quality of service compared to previous cruises on Summit. I have been cruising with Celebrity for a very long time since their very first ships so I have seen first hand the steady decline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only ever stayed in a regular veranda on Celebrity which entitled me to the same as an inside or ocean view stateroom and I have never given another thought to what others in suites (or Aqua) have access to. I could never afford a suite but I say lucky them who can.  I did not think anything of areas that were 'off limits' to me, I really didn't notice them to tell you the truth and I am totally aware of the things/areas available to Aqua and Suites so it's not like I don't know about them.  It just didn't matter, I focus on everywhere I CAN go which is most areas on the ship.

As for anyone treating me different???  If they did, I certainly didn't realize it.  Nobody but the staff who take your room card for purchases and such would know what room you are in so when you roam around the ship, you are the same as anyone else so hold your nose high with the best of them LOL

Enjoy your cruise, I loved the summit when I was sailed her and with the refresh she should be even better now. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2019 at 1:22 PM, AnnemarieC76 said:

I have been on numerous cruises in the past all NCL and RCCL...this is my first time booking a cruise on Celebrity.  The itinerary and timing worked out perfect.  There are four of in our family so we decided to book 2 inside cabins.  In the past I have tried all types of cabins; however, it made the most sense for us to go with inside this time.  HOWEVER, after reading through these boards I am beginning to think that booking Celebrity might have been a mistake..it is appearing as though if you book an inside cabin you are treated as though you are a second class citizen...not just from the staff but from some of the passengers as well...I have read more about the areas we will not be permitted in than I have about the areas we will be permitted in.   Am I getting the wrong impression? or Should I book us on a different cruise line?  I am looking for honest answers...please!  

I have not read though every post on your thread, I am responding to your Topic starter without any impressions from anyone else in fariness and objectivity to you.

I have cruised NCL, RCCL and Celebrity as well. That you have selected an inside cabin does not exclude you from any areas any more than NCL would as a Non Haven guest for example. Celebrity has a Suite Class and even a class of cabins for AQ that come with priveledges or dining rooms that are above the highest 'standard' class of cabins.

Sometimes it's negative feedback from people that can be, or seem to be exclusionary when it comes to this line so I am hoping that if that is what is concerning to you that you dismiss it and focus on the high service levels you will indeed receive along with the enjoyment of the ship and the destinations that you have selected for your family group. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

To be fair I haven't had the pleasure of dining in the Main Dining Room (MDR) for many years. I've been spoiled and have had the extra elbow room of Luminae on all of our Celebrity cruises. It's been VERY nice. Now, I am motivated to stroll by the MDR one night and look inside and see if it's humanly possible to pry one's arse between the tables. I will check back with all of you after our next cruise. 🙂

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:45 PM, AnnemarieC76 said:

Actually this profile is new - thank you - I had a previous profile; however my screen name (AnneNChris) was unable to be changed and considering I went through a divorce from Chris (the second part of the screen name) I found it very uncomfortable using that as my screen name - 

What gave me the impression was reading through posts - I am a natural researcher - as far as the legitimacy of my concern I am a firm believer that feelings are not facts - and instead of manifesting and harboring concerns it would be much better to discuss them and ask questions - all negative thoughts die in the light of exposure - the reason for my post was to either validate or disregard my initial assessment - so thank you 

You will have a better cruise than Chris!   J/k

Seriously we have been all around the Ship and no one treats you any different.  Sure it is nice to get some of the perks with a suite or aqua but you are paying for it and it doesn't make anyone any better than anyone else.   If I meet someone in life no matter where I am who is stuck up I walk away...…...fast.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nymich said:

You will have a better cruise than Chris!   J/k

Seriously we have been all around the Ship and no one treats you any different.  Sure it is nice to get some of the perks with a suite or aqua but you are paying for it and it doesn't make anyone any better than anyone else.   If I meet someone in life no matter where I am who is stuck up I walk away...…...fast.

🙂 I sure will 🤣

Thank you!!! We really are so so excited!!!!

14 hours ago, K12Guy said:

To be fair I haven't had the pleasure of dining in the Main Dining Room (MDR) for many years. I've been spoiled and have had the extra elbow room of Luminae on all of our Celebrity cruises. It's been VERY nice. Now, I am motivated to stroll by the MDR one night and look inside and see if it's humanly possible to pry one's arse between the tables. I will check back with all of you after our next cruise. 🙂

I think cruise lines are missing important opportunities here. They should play up the perceptions of class distinctions! Maybe Royal can sell excursions to Luminae diners into the MDR to demonstrate how good they have it, and prove its commitment to suite holders. Maybe in a rolling bubble like in Jurassic World tours so we can't turn on you! (Wait, how did that turn out?.....)

Edited by mayleeman
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

It depends on the ship.

The Edge has class division.

Other Celebrity ships are OK so far.

Suites first - is their motto these days, but the older ships (built to higher standards) are not affected that badly.

The Summit is  in line to be "revolutionized" - modified to fit the new philosophy (more suites privileges, more cabins, reduction in public space, and other sorts of "optimization"). However from what I have read, they are not going to cross the red line (make it a two-class ships like the Edge).

The staff and fellow passengers will never treat you as a second class passenger. Do not worry about it.

The cruise line will (on the Edge).

Hopefully it won't be the case with the Summit.

Happy cruising!
Understanding the difference: suite perks vs class division.

ronbe65- there you go again with your class division.  You say Edge is a two class ship because it has a Retreat area for people in suites which was designed into the ship.   I can't dispute that Edge has the Retreat for passengers who have paid a lot more.  I call that buying choice, not class division.  OK no problem if our terminology is not the same.  However, I think you go from that to crossing the line when you say that the cruise line will treat you as a second class passenger on Edge.   Do you even have any experience sailing Edge?  Or are you just assuming?  My opinion is that you made an untrue comment about how Celebrity Edge treats non-suite passengers.  It has no basis at all.  Please stick to your facts.  In general I find your posts quite good in the level of knowledge and information provided.  

On 2/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

The problem is that X allocated far greater space / guest in Luminae leaving those of us in mdr banging elbows with next table.

Baron - that might be your perception but I think it is not really correct.  First,  Luminae and Blu are quite tight table to table.  Second, spaces carved out from the MDR for Luminae and Blu used to serve the very same suite and aqua passengers in the MDR before the carve out. So the carve outs took previous MDR passengers with them.  It is a wash.  Third, with the increasing number of Specialty restaurants on every ship, mostly full, there is less pressure on the MDR compared to the past.  It perhaps seems more crowded in the MDR if you are waiting for a table but that is more of a function of an entire area dedicated to the flexible time Select dining option, particularly at peak times.  Again this was not the case in the past with everybody on the ship going to the MDR at an early or late seating.

14 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi TeeRick,

I value your opinion.

As to "my class division", it's not mine, it's cruise lines' class division. 🙂

There is a line that separates suite perks from class division. I have made it very clear in the article (with examples from my own cruising experience).

Do we need to read every book to learn the alphabet? There is nothing that makes the Edge case unique. I know cruising alphabet, so I read cruise ships like books (reading between the lines included) 🙂

It's not an issue that someone who paid much more have exclusive access to a particular place on the ship ("Retreat" or anything else).

The issue is that passengers have no access to the front of the ship because they did not book a suite. The suite class is designed the way that limit  cruising experience for non-suite passengers. 

It is a buying choice for us consumers. This is true.

But as a reviewer I have to document it: suite perks have grown to the point of class division. As a reviewer, I assess the ship, not consumers.

My next cruise will be on a ship with class division. We have booked a suite in the "ship within a ship area". This is my buying choice. Nothing wrong. I don't feel guilty for cruising in the privileged class.

But if I have time to write a review, I will underline the fact that the ship has class division.

Per your request:

Hoya65 wrote about her/his cruise on the Edge in February 2019:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=648717

"We are "Elite" CCL cruisers and have cruised on all the Solstice class ships as well as on the Summit; Another downer is that only suite guests have access to the bow of the ship. For the first time, we felt we were treated a second class citizens because of this, One of our great pleasures has been to stand above the bow as the ship entered port; now no longer an option on the Edge unless you book a suite. "

TeeRicks,

Thanks for your posts. I find them very thoughtful. I am always happy to provide more info should my fellow cruisers have any questions or concerns.

Happy cruising!

Ronbe65- You show one post where this "Elite" CC cruiser says that he/she "felt" like second class citizens because they could not go to the front of the Edge.  The replacement of the Sky Lounge area with the Retreat area has been a common complaint on these boards no doubt.  But that cruiser is expressing a personal feeling about the change of the ship design compared to S-Class ships.  It does not actually prove or even imply in any way that Celebrity treats non-suite passengers as second class citizens. Most of Edge is for non-suite passengers if you just compare the numbers any way you want to so it would be hard to imagine that Celebrity would treat them poorly.  Yes I agree they do give a better experience to those that paid for suites or even Aqua class.  Same as other ships and lines with their suite offering (for a higher price).