Fish and Chips at O'Sheehan's

Sandysandy

What happened to the fish and chips at O'Sheehan's?  Just got off the Gem and the fish was inedible and the batter like puffed cardboard.  So disappointing!  I was on the Escape a few months ago and it was fine.  Have they changed their supplier?  

I was just on the Gem, had the fish and chips 2x and both were fine -- you must have gotten a bad batch - probably should have sent it back.  (and actually am surprised that they served a bad one like that) 

I probably should have said something while on ship.  I never ordered it again but I saw it was the same weird batter on the fish and chips when seeing it other's plates when we ate there on subsequent occasions.   I don't eat red meat so pretty disappointed the fish was so bad that it was no longer edible.

17 hours ago, Sandysandy said:

What happened to the fish and chips at O'Sheehan's?  Just got off the Gem and the fish was inedible and the batter like puffed cardboard.  So disappointing!  I was on the Escape a few months ago and it was fine.  Have they changed their supplier?  

I am not fond of the word inedible. very few things fall into that category but to answer your question: fish and chips, regardless of which ship you are on can be hit or miss. I only got them once on our last 10 day cruise and they were just fine. One of our traveling companions got them 3 times; twice really good, once not worth the bother. Mos t pub food can be this way. I had the artichoke dip on our last cruise: it wasn't very good at all, no flavor. I had read before we cruised it was really watery but this was not our experience. It just had no flavor 

It depends on the type of fish also. People seem to say fish is fish which is like saying meat is meat. I love haddock fish and chips which we get where I live. Others like cod. What type of fish is served would depend on the itinerary I would imagine.  So many different types are possible. 

I am constantly amazed that so many people rave about the food at O'Sheehan's.  I have tried the fish & chips, the nachos, a pot pie, and just a regular old hamburger, and on three different ships.  The quality reminded me of Chili's or Applebee's, and not in a good way.  Very greasy fish; nachos with stale tortilla chips swimming in a runny cheese sauce; and a hamburger that was so overcooked as to almost be inedible.  The menu looks so good to me - all food that I love, but the quality has been so poor that I now avoid the place and eat elsewhere.

I've had fish and chips twice in O'Sheehan's, on different ships, and was disappointed, even repulsed, both times. Last week, the MDR had edible fish and chips at embarkation-day lunch. But O'Sheehan's fish is not even on a par with cheap brands that you can get frozen in a supermarket.

13 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

I am constantly amazed that so many people rave about the food at O'Sheehan's.  I have tried the fish & chips, the nachos, a pot pie, and just a regular old hamburger, and on three different ships.  The quality reminded me of Chili's or Applebee's, and not in a good way.  Very greasy fish; nachos with stale tortilla chips swimming in a runny cheese sauce; and a hamburger that was so overcooked as to almost be inedible.  The menu looks so good to me - all food that I love, but the quality has been so poor that I now avoid the place and eat elsewhere.

You are comparing it with Chili's or Applebee's. That is exactly what O'Sheehans is. It is pub food, not meant to be gourmet or even close. It is a fun place to go and relax, people watch and grab a bite to eat. BTW I have never gotten stale chips but that doesn't mean others have not. I have probably only tried their chips once or twice. When I want Mexican food I go to a Mexican restaurant. I can add, you are not the only person who feels the way you do. I don't go to Chili's when at home for sure. It's just on a ship, if one doesn't like buffets and we do not, O'Sheehan's is the place for lunch. 

• Like 2

As a New Englander, I know my fish and chips!  O'Sheehans doesn't even make the grade!  Tastes like the frozen fish fillets you buy in the supermarket.  Plus, the service is so slow, that most things come to the table luke warm.  Who wants to eat cold greasy fish?  No thanks!

14 hours ago, CruisinNewbie11 said:

As a New Englander, I know my fish and chips!  O'Sheehans doesn't even make the grade!  Tastes like the frozen fish fillets you buy in the supermarket.  Plus, the service is so slow, that most things come to the table luke warm.  Who wants to eat cold greasy fish?  No thanks!

I am sure, for those of you who know good fish and chips you would not be impressed. For those of us, who live in the mid west, etc and don't get anything better than frozen ones we have fewer complaints. I will add just one more thing, I have read so many reviews about how slow O"Sheehans is but I yet to experience slow service or maybe I should add, only a few times. 

• Like 1

Fish and chips were greasy when I tried this twice our grandson loved it though. Me I love their reubuns and my husband likes their wings. We like going for a light lunch when we skip breakfast. This trip will go again I like watching the dock area out the window, but have Cagney's again so will no doubt go there for either breakfast (not a fan at O'Sheehans) or lunch.

Try their sandwiches they are generally nice. My family have always enjoyed them anyway.

4 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Fish and chips were greasy when I tried this twice our grandson loved it though. Me I love their reubuns and my husband likes their wings. We like going for a light lunch when we skip breakfast. This trip will go again I like watching the dock area out the window, but have Cagney's again so will no doubt go there for either breakfast (not a fan at O'Sheehans) or lunch.

Try their sandwiches they are generally nice. My family have always enjoyed them anyway.

Had breakfast there twice on our last cruise. Except for convenience I do not like their breakfast at all. 

I think if you keep in mind, this is *bar food* and not meant to be gourmet, you'll be fine. It is never as good as the regular full service restaurants - but then, that is the way they are in the Midwest too - it's BAR food. It is what it is. Just don't have real high expectations for it and all will be good. 🙂 (and BTW, this is our SIL's favorite place to chow down on the ships!)

My apologies, I wrongly assumed folks would be able to tell I was talking about BAR FOOD - and it is the same no matter where you're at in the states, IMO. Never been to Alaska (yet!) so I can't vouch for your area!

16 hours ago, Von & John said:

DCP -  I may be reading what you wrote incorrectly, are you saying you can't get Great food in the Midwest?

Thinking the same thing: we live right on the midwest/southern border and we certainly have some outstanding food, both bar style, home cooking and upscale restaurants :classic_blink:

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, kochleffel said:

I've had fish and chips twice in O'Sheehan's, on different ships, and was disappointed, even repulsed, both times. Last week, the MDR had edible fish and chips at embarkation-day lunch. But O'Sheehan's fish is not even on a par with cheap brands that you can get frozen in a supermarket.

If you were repulsed the first time, why go back for a second time?

Just off the Breakaway, went to O'Sheehan's twice for lunch.  As a couple, we ordered 4 different items each time and all were good.  Not great, not iffy - good.  Good service and good temperature of the food.  Tried spinach dip, nachos, bbq burger, chipotle chicken, fish and chips, reuben, and fajitas.  All good and edible 🙂