Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

johnoli

We are flying into Miami from the UK  three days before our cruise from Fort Lauderdale. Are we better off staying in Miami for three nights then getting a taxi/Uber to the Cruise port or head straight for Fort Lauderdale and spend the time there?. I’m wondering if their is more to see and do in Miami. 

The only definite we want to do is a trip to the Everglades.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.  

I like the above suggestion to split your time between Miami/Miami Beach and the FLL area.

Have a great cruise. 😎

Edited by JohninDC
  • Like 1

We preferred Miami lately since we find the hotel options are better, a wider variety of restaurants and in general more appealings things to do. Miami is a big city combined with the South Beach option, whereas Fort Lauderdale has a very suburban/strip mall feel in general. 

• Like 1

I don't know about the splitting idea. I agree generally its a good idea. But is it worth the hassle of packing up bags checking out and checking in again? Waiting for a new room to be ready etc..? 

I don't think so. Miami is the "main city" has more to offer, is more dense, and more things to do. It is also closer to Everglades National Park. I would suggest just sticking to Miami and picking either Miami Beach or Brickell to stay. 

As for the Everglades in June! Bring lots of bug spray and go as early in the morning as possible. The Everglades in June at 12:00pm is not enjoyable. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Flymia said:

I don't know about the splitting idea. I agree generally its a good idea. But is it worth the hassle of packing up bags checking out and checking in again? Waiting for a new room to be ready etc..? 

I don't think so. Miami is the "main city" has more to offer, is more dense, and more things to do. It is also closer to Everglades National Park. I would suggest just sticking to Miami and picking either Miami Beach or Brickell to stay. 

As for the Everglades in June! Bring lots of bug spray and go as early in the morning as possible. The Everglades in June at 12:00pm is not enjoyable. 

I agree.  I wouldn't split either. 

Plantation or Weston are boring, suburban strip mall but Fort Lauderdale is anything but.

To the OP, I would stay two nights in South Beach somewhere fabulous like The Delano and spend one night in Fort Lauderdale.  Stay anywhere but 17th Street.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Plantation or Weston are boring, suburban strip mall but Fort Lauderdale is anything but.

To the OP, I would stay two nights in South Beach somewhere fabulous like The Delano and spend one night in Fort Lauderdale.  Stay anywhere but 17th Street.

Just curious why you don’t recommend 17th street?  We love the embassy there, but that’s the only place I’ve stayed down there (3 times).  Thx!

5 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Just curious why you don’t recommend 17th street?  We love the embassy there, but that’s the only place I’ve stayed down there (3 times).  Thx!

I'd love to hear that, too...

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

I'd love to hear that, too...

I'm sure BlueHeron's will answer for herself, but I agree with her.  The 17th Street area is convenient to the port but could be any area of hotels interspersed with strip malls within the USA.  It just has the added bonus of palm trees.  If you want to experience what makes Fort Lauderdale unique stay on the beach or on Las Olas.

• Like 1

I like 17th Street and I spend time at the restaurants there,  I work out at Orangetheory in Harbor Shops twice a week, it is just a very industrial, strip mall area.  That area is the yachting capital of North America.  Lots of heavy trucks and and out of the port.  There are much nicer areas of Fort Lauderdale.

Most of my girlfriends live in Rio Vista and we hang out at the yacht club quite a bit so I know the neighborhood well.

Some of my favorites on 17th Street:

Carlos & Pepes

Boatyard

Duffys

Bistro Mezzoluna

Kellys

Quarterdeck

Southport Raw Bar

Edited by BlueHerons
  • Like 1

To get back to the topic at hand.....

OP, while Fort Lauderdale offers many things to do, Miami does offer many more options as it's a bigger city!

As far as splitting areas, with only 3 nights and coming in on a transatlantic flight along with time change I would suggest picking one area to spend your time in.  That's only my personal opinion but I personally wouldn't change hotel under these set of circumstances.  If seeing things up in Fort Lauderdale is really important to you, rent a car or uber or take bright line up for the day. 

Good luck with the research and when the vacation time comes hope that you really enjoy your time down in South Florida and your cruise!

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your advice. I love planning all this stuff.

We’ve already got an Adriatic cruise booked for September this year and will be spending three days in Venice beforehand. Hotel already sorted and really looking forward to exploring Venice.