6 bottles of wine?

LB_NJ

I had read it was 3 bottles per person but just read the FAQ and it says 6 bottles per stateroom (much more on the full world cruise).

May have to bring an extra carry-on suitcase just for the wine.  Use the suitcase for souvenirs on the return. 

Does Oceania not want to sell any of their own wine?

Will they object if one of the bottles I bring is a small bottle of port?

14 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

no

If you want to take YOUR  wine to the dining venues  they will charge a corkage fee of $25 per bottle   so they still make $

Unless you drink all of  your wine in the cabin

You can always pick up more along the route

I am sure you would  not think of filling your glass in the cabin & wander the ship with it 

but  please do not  spoil the generous policy  for others 

JMO

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

I had read it was 3 bottles per person but just read the FAQ and it says 6 bottles per stateroom (much more on the full world cruise).

May have to bring an extra carry-on suitcase just for the wine.  Use the suitcase for souvenirs on the return. 

Does Oceania not want to sell any of their own wine?

you may want to review the zillion threads on CC regarding bringing wine onboard Oceania ships. The published bottle limit is a CYA statement by Oceania. Many folks bring on far more (we usually do 6-12 bottles), which is replenished at appropriate port stops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

no

If you want to take YOUR  wine to the dining venues  they will charge a corkage fee of $25 per bottle   so they still make $

Unless you drink all of  your wine in the cabin

JMO

I figure I will open the bottles in the room.  If I like the wine I'll take the whole bottle to the dinning room.  I don't mind paying the corkage fee.  Just don't want to waste the fee on a  bad bottle.

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I figure I will open the bottles in the room.  If I like the wine I'll take the whole bottle to the dinning room.  I don't mind paying the corkage fee.  Just don't want to waste the fee on a  bad bottle.

Why would you bring bad wine onboard? Either carry/buy familiar favorites or do the research and find excellent retailers of local/regional wines abroad (like the little shop next to the Marriott in Sydney)?

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:
4 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Why would you bring bad wine onboard?

Not on purpose I would guess. Bottle variation is real. And ime the older the vintage, the wider the variation. Also ime older reds (eg 25+ years) don't necessarily have great sea legs. 

LB_NJ I would suggest discussing with someone in the dining room ahead of time - I think you might be able to explain your concern and work out a procedure ahead of time to avoid paying corkage on a bottle that is not drinkable. If you are trying to avoid corkage on a drinkable-but-not-stellar bottle, yes I think openung it yourself in your cabin first makes sense . For wine that you wish to let breathe for some time you can arrange to drop it off earlier ime. 

5 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Not on purpose I would guess. Bottle variation is real. And ime the older the vintage, the wider the variation. Also ime older reds (eg 25+ years) don't necessarily have great sea legs. 

LB_NJ I would suggest discussing with someone in the dining room ahead of time - I think you might be able to explain your concern and work out a procedure ahead of time to avoid paying corkage on a bottle that is not drinkable. If you are trying to avoid corkage on a drinkable-but-not-stellar bottle, yes I think openung it yourself in your cabin first makes sense . For wine that you wish to let breathe for some time you can arrange to drop it off earlier ime. 

Though I've yet to run into this problem with my own wine (keeping fingers crossed), I find it hard to believe that Oceania would charge the corkage fee for a bad bottle of wine, which is not consumed but, rather, discarded. I'd focus would be to sell you an alternative selection.

• Like 1

As was mentioned no one intentionally brings a bad bottle of wine on board a ship.

It happens, even with good research, that you end up a bad bottle for whatever reason.

Seems to me that real oenophiles like Pinot and Flatbush will bring on wines they are sure about.  No need to open in the room in advance to be sure.

People like me and probably most passengers who do like good wine but don't want to spend upwards of $100/bottle will bring on a few bottles of our own.  We don't mind paying the corkage if used in the dining rooms.  Sometimes we've been in a top suite that gives us 6 bottles -- and I do agree that while the wines are drinkable they certainly are not spectacular.  But you CAN take them to a dining room without having to pay the corkage fee.

I also don't want to bring a lot of bottles on, so I usually bring on a few and probably one bottle of spirits for use in the room.  (I'm generally talking about cruises 14-21 days in length, not longer ones.)  If I want something along the way, I don't mind buying it.

But it sounds like the OP really doesn't want to bother.  S/he will probably be happy enough with the onboard choices.

Perhaps OP will read what you all have said and decide to bring more on board ... it just doesn't seem likely it from what I have read here.  But reading here does not give us absolute illumination as to what people like or want!

Mura

Could probably write several pages on this but will keep it brief.

1. Baby steps - it’s highly discouraged to travel with older wines, perhaps anything over 12 years old, where plans are to consume the wine within a week or so of arrival. Save those older wines for special events at home with friends or family.

2.  Currently, for most upscale producers the rate for taint or “ off” bottles of wine is running just over 2% . For most producers it’s near zero, with a few producing most of the problems. So financially, if a 2% risk is to great for a $25 bet, then I suppose one has to do what they have to do.

3. If the bottle is indeed off and not consumed, I doubt one would be charged the corkage fee in any case.

And, while we are at it, let's not forget the occasional "relative bargains" on the everchanging "bin end" lists, with discounts of 30-40% off O's regular wine list prices. 

Often, the correct $60-$70 bin end choice (though more expensive than the average $47.50 for each bottle in the seven bottle deal) will net you a very decent wine for about $10-$15 more per bottle. 

Also, IMO, except for the 2 or 3 drinkable "loss leaders" on the "7 bottle deal" menu, opting for wine-by-the-glass at bars and dining venues costs about the same at the bottom line.

I recently bought two of the close outs, one each in different venues, at about 1.5x retail which I found very reasonable. One was a CdP and the other a 1er Cru Burgundy, both excellent wines! I always ask for and check that list!. I have been known to buy a couple of the wines remaining on the list and have them keep one for another evening.

I have never found a single “ seven bottle deal” attractive. The dogs included in those packages always had fleas so I have always passed.

+1, PinotLover!

Re corkage fees for bad bottles you may bring on board, if you replace the bad bottle you brought with a bottle off of the list,  I’ll bet the corkage fee will magically disappear...

Edited by JPR
Added response

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I recently bought two of the close outs, one each in different venues, at about 1.5x retail which I found very reasonable. One was a CdP and the other a 1er Cru Burgundy, both excellent wines! I always ask for and check that list!. I have been known to buy a couple of the wines remaining on the list and have them keep one for another evening.

I have never found a single “ seven bottle deal” attractive. The dogs included in those packages always had fleas so I have always passed.

This August is my first cruise on Oceania on Insignia.  What are closeouts, what list?

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

This August is my first cruise on Oceania on Insignia.  What are closeouts, what list?

You may want to use the search feature here on CC and wade through the numerous posts on the "bin end" wine offerings within the aforementioned zillion threads on Oceania wine policies.

That said, know that Oceania ships usually have a single sheet of discounted wines that they are getting rid of because they're close to being depleted, not going to be repurchased (e.g., a particular O ship may have purchased too much Chilean wine on a South American itinerary), no longer available, etc. 

The "bin end" (closeout) list changes often and is available to peruse once you get onboard. 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I'm not sure who pays the corkage fee.  We just got off Oceania, brought onboard 4 bottles of wine, 1 champagne, and 1 rum.  We always poured a glass for dinner and brought it to the dining rooms.  No one said anything.  I suppose if you brought a whole bottle?

15 minutes ago, davela2 said:

I'm not sure who pays the corkage fee.  We just got off Oceania, brought onboard 4 bottles of wine, 1 champagne, and 1 rum.  We always poured a glass for dinner and brought it to the dining rooms.  No one said anything.  I suppose if you brought a whole bottle?

You keep doing it and you (and everyone else) won't be allowed to bring on ANY wines or liquor onboard - just like on mass market lines. What you are doing is against the regulations and it's called cheating.

All wine and liquor is for consumption IN YOUR cabin only unless you bring the whole bottle of wine (not just a glass) to a dining venue and pay the corkage. Rum (and other hard liquor) is for the cabin consumption only.

It's not that complicated.

PS - and this is from someone who drinks Perrier only - I have no dog in this fight. :classic_happy:

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

Paul beat me to it.  It doesn't sound like this was an intentional violation, but a violation it was.  I'm surprised nothing was said since the staff can tell from the glass whether you're bring your glass of wine from a bar (which is okay) or from your room (which is not).  The corkage indeed is paid for a full bottle that is opened at the table.

Mura

• Like 1

Just now, davela2 said:

tacky