Rome transfers

Karen Lynn

2 separate questions ..

1)Anyone have any favourite services with roomy vehicles?

Need transfer port to hotel and hotel to airport 2 days later. 

Problem seems to be most say 1 pc of baggage.
There will be 2 large suitcases - 2 carry ons and perhaps a backpack?

I know cars can be small but minivan too big for 2 people.

2) Again - anyone know of a driver or transfer service who will pick up in Rome and drive to the Tuscany area?

THANKS!

Just a little reading down the board would find the large thread on the wonderful Rome in Limo. We have used them 8 times...fantastic operation.

Have never heard (at least from Rome in Limo, and from any other provider, for that matter) of such a severe luggage limitation. Obviously there are limits to the size of the trunk, but who travels with only one bag. That might be a misinterpretation...1 checked bag per person?

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just a little reading down the board would find the large thread on the wonderful Rome in Limo. We have used them 8 times...fantastic operation.

Have never heard (at least from Rome in Limo, and from any other provider, for that matter) of such a severe luggage limitation. Obviously there are limits to the size of the trunk, but who travels with only one bag. That might be a misinterpretation...1 checked bag per person?

As I'm looking at an FCO to the port transfer for next month, most of the sites say 1 checked & carry-on per person in their base fare. They also have a pull down to increase the number of bags, which of course adds to the cost. For example, one I looked at had a base fare of ~115 Euros for 2 folks, when I added in another checked bag and carryon it went up to about 130 Euros. Obviously for a larger vehicle. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, CruiserBruce said:

I checked out their pricing and it seems very high to me. They want 170 euro for 2 people from Rome-Civitavecchia or from Civitavecchia-airport. There must be a good alternative that is cheaper.

Update - I was basing my opinion on listings on Viator claiming you could get transfers for as low as $32. Well I have yet to find anything near that price and it seems to be around $170 US for 2 people. So not as expensive as Rome In Limo but not nearly as cheap. What's amazing is that all of the transfer companies have artificially low prices like that. I wonder if they're showing the price for an extra piece of luggage or something deceptive like that.

Edited by MisterBill99

13 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I checked out their pricing and it seems very high to me. They want 170 euro for 2 people from Rome-Civitavecchia or from Civitavecchia-airport. There must be a good alternative that is cheaper.

Update - I was basing my opinion on listings on Viator claiming you could get transfers for as low as $32. Well I have yet to find anything near that price and it seems to be around $170 US for 2 people. So not as expensive as Rome In Limo but not nearly as cheap. What's amazing is that all of the transfer companies have artificially low prices like that. I wonder if they're showing the price for an extra piece of luggage or something deceptive like that.

They are probably basing their quote on a per person price for a certain number of people in a shared shuttle. With RIL the price is the total per car/vehicle.

That said, I also find RIL to be expensive for a transfer. I don't need "wonderful" for a transfer, just "reliable". And I have found reliable shared shuttle providers for 70 euro/couple with up to one suitcase and one carry-on per person. It has worked fine for me...

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

That said, I also find RIL to be expensive for a transfer. I don't need "wonderful" for a transfer, just "reliable". And I have found reliable shared shuttle providers for 70 euro/couple with up to one suitcase and one carry-on per person. It has worked fine for me...

Can you recommend a company around that price? Thanks.

12 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Can you recommend a company around that price? Thanks.

romashuttle.com

I have used several times and also have recommended to friends/family members, none of whom has had a problem with them. If you choose the shared shuttle (cheaper option) be aware that you may have to wait for other pick-ups or drop-offs so it could increase the time somewhat. 

Last year we used NCC Airport for a transfer to Civi from our hotel in Rome. We chose the shared shuttle option, and it was 70 euros for the two of us.  1 large case each, 1 carry on case each and a shoulder bag each.  

They were excellent.  They emailed me the day before with the name of the driver and his photo, what type of vehicle to expect and the time they would pick us up.   They had already picked up another couple when they arrived to pick us up.  The vehicle was very comfortable and would have probably seated 6 people, but it was just us 4.   To pay, there were different options - by credit card online, cash to the driver or credit card to the driver. 

We were very happy with their service and have them booked again for the same thing in October.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

romashuttle.com

I have used several times and also have recommended to friends/family members, none of whom has had a problem with them. If you choose the shared shuttle (cheaper option) be aware that you may have to wait for other pick-ups or drop-offs so it could increase the time somewhat. 

21 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

Last year we used NCC Airport for a transfer to Civi from our hotel in Rome. We chose the shared shuttle option, and it was 70 euros for the two of us. 

Thanks. I see that romashuttle is also 70 euros. Certainly beats 170! I was thinking of taking the train into town since our hotel is apparently very close to a station. 

Does Uber operate in Rome? I used them last year in Amsterdam and they were the cheapest option.

Update -- just found this site which had interesting info about transfers from the airport to the city. It says that Uber is 60 euros and normal taxis can be either 48 or 60 euros depending on who licenses them. They have a special price of 45 euros from the airport to the city. Sadly, they are not competitive on transfers to or from the port (both over 100).

https://www.rome-airport.net/transfer-rome-airport-rome-city-choose-taxi-uber-book-private-transfer/

Edited by MisterBill99

Last I heard the rate from the airport to the center of Rome for a taxi was 48 euros...fixed.

The rate airport to port, and city to port is not related to the airport to city fixed rate. The distance is almost double for city to port.

By the way, most taxis can't take you direct to your ship. You will need to use the free shuttles in the port and lug your bags around.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Last I heard the rate from the airport to the center of Rome for a taxi was 48 euros...fixed.

Check the link I posted, he said (and provided photos) that there are 2 signs with different prices and it depends which taxi you get.

In any event, 45 is better and they apparently will take a credit card, which he claims many (most?) taxis will not. Of course, I've never taken a taxi in Rome so I could be wrong.

Edited by MisterBill99

Uber in Italy is not generally the cheapest; it's a different service than in most other places.

The official Rome taxis have a fixed rate of 48 from the airport to any location inside the Aurelian walls (ancient city walls); i.e., for most places in the center of the old city -- covers most hotels but if your hotel is an outlier, the fixed fare may not apply (such as around the Vatican or to the East of Termini station.

The drive to the port is about twice as long as to the airport and priced accordingly.

3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

So I heard from Roma Shuttle and they charge 7.5% for using a credit card. NCC was 3% if I used a card with the driver, 6% if I gave them the card online. I guess I'll need to make sure that I still have euros.

We paid the driver with a credit card at the end of the transfer.    3% of 70 euros is only 2.1 euros.  Not a lot really, and to us it was  worth it for the convenience. 

1 hour ago, Daisyloo said:

We paid the driver with a credit card at the end of the transfer.    3% of 70 euros is only 2.1 euros.  Not a lot really, and to us it was  worth it for the convenience. 

Actually, if it codes as travel my credit card rebates me 3.5% (and no FTF) so it will pay for itself. That was obviously with NCC.

Edited by MisterBill99