RC May Hawaii cruise last minute changes by RC

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Guest,

We have a change to share with you regarding our itinerary for your upcoming May 2nd, 2019 Ovation of the Seas cruise.

A new safety requirement has been put in place by local port authorities and marine pilots in Vancouver, British Columbia that limits when very large ships can sail under the Lions Gate Bridge. We will be the largest cruise ship to have ever navigated under this bridge – while impressive, it does end up changing our schedule.

Due to the tide and the need for very still waters, we only have a 35-minute window to sail under the bridge when there is no current. It’s that precise! We have nautical scientists working on formulas to make sure we arrive at the perfect moment to clear the bridge. Consequently, our time in Victoria, British Columbia will be adjusted to 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM, and we’ll arrive early into Vancouver, British Columbia at 8:00 PM instead. We are sorry about this last-minute change; however, your safety and comfort is our number one priority. Plus, we hope you’ll take advantage of the additional time in Vancouver, especially that you’ll be able to explore this magical city at night. We don’t see why you would want to, but you may also debark the ship early. Below, please find your updated itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Thu

Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

Embark

Fri

Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii

5:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sat

Kilauea Volcano

9:00 PM

10:00 PM

Sun

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

9:00 AM

Mon

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii

5:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Cruising

Thu

Cruising

Fri

Cruising

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Victoria, British Columbia

9:00 AM

6:00 AM

8:00 PM

2:00 PM

Sun

Vancouver, British Columbia

6:00 AM

8:00 PM

Mon

Vancouver, British Columbia

Debark

Now that we have some extra time to explore Vancouver, you’ll have a multitude of experiences to choose from that are just a few footsteps from the port. Visit Guilt & Company, one of Vancouver’s most popular bar and lounges, where you can enjoy live music, delicious appetizers, and refreshing drinks. And, if you’re looking for a night out on the town, Granville Street is a hotspot, sort of like a mini Las Vegas strip. We’re sure no matter what you choose to do, you’ll have an experience to remember!

Our Shore Excursions team will reschedule any impacted Royal Caribbean International shore excursions that you’ve already pre-paid. In the next 3 business days, you will receive an email with your updated excursion details. Then, feel free to browse all the shore excursions offered on your sailing through our Cruise Planner.

Thank you for your understanding. Below we’ve included some answers to questions you may have. We look forward to exploring Hawaii with you soon.

20 minutes ago, pattyg01 said:

Yeah, the moon and stars and stuff are always flopping around all willy nilly. Hard to predict those tides.

Variations in the tides and currents can be affected by sensible weather too.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

we’ll arrive early into Vancouver, British Columbia at 8:00 PM instead.

AWESOME!! I'll have to change my dinner plans that night and head up to Prospect Point to watch her come in.

Here's Radiance at 178 feet (20 ft clearance) and Soltice (no clearance) the first time she came under... they had to modify a mast to fit her. I figure Ovation will have to have her funnels retracted, and even then will be a very tight squeeze compared to this I think.

DSC09910.JPG

DSC09924.JPG

Heads up when you book a cruise they can and now have change your cruise

we started with a three island hop in Hawaii and now two spending the first night at our departing island. So down one island we just heard today ( 6 days until departure) that they dock at 6:00 am and leave at 2:00 pm no time in that port and another overnighter in a departure port I’m so disappointed in Royal no this is not the first time I have had my cruise days changed but this is the most messed up I have seen. I have been on 23 Royal cruises  and a number of other cruise lines Please Royal let us know before we cruise what “might” happen so we can decide if we want to go on the cruise 

Dar

Edited by Darstime

Missing the call on the Big Island was bad enough.  Now, if Royal is honest with itself and us, it is canceling the Mother's Day call in Victoria ( a 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. stop is not materially similar to an 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. call).  Docking at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday night in Vancouver is not really giving us additional time to explore there, with the added note that we get leave the ship if we don't like it.

The cruise is reduced to 2 days in Maui.  How many people would have booked such a sailing? 

Just now, SF Cfan said:

Missing the call on the Big Island was bad enough.  Now, if Royal is honest with itself and us, it is canceling the Mother's Day call in Victoria ( a 6:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. stop is not materially similar to an 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. call).  Docking at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday night in Vancouver is not really giving us additional time to explore there, with the added note that we get leave the ship if we don't like it.

The cruise is reduced to 2 days in Maui.  How many people would have booked such a sailing? 

Saying we can enjoy the evening in Vancouver is RCI's way to try to sugar coat an already bad situation. Crew will probably get off and enjoy Vancouver's nightlife but not most passengers. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Nevermind

May I offer a positive outlook on this end to the cruise?

Sailing through the Georgia Strait and Salish Sea alongside beautiful San Juan islands and scenery between Victoria and Vancouver in the middle of the day vs. midnight-4am could be be one of the highlights of your cruise, especially if beautiful weather. The sail-in to Vancouver port in the evening sun could be magic and one of your best cruise memories... one of the most beautiful sail-ins in the world if weather co-operates... again missed while sleeping if you were sailing in at 3am like NCL Bliss had to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

I wonder if the cruise on the 13th will now leave later to clear the bridge?

Excellent & interesting question Alan ... I guess it's very possible.

I just pray it's in daylight and not during the night.

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Sailing through the Georgia Strait and Salish Sea alongside beautiful San Juan islands and scenery between Victoria and Vancouver in the middle of the day vs. midnight-4am could be be one of the highlights of your cruise, especially if beautiful weather. The sail-in to Vancouver port in the evening sun could be magic and one of your best cruise memories... one of the most beautiful sail-ins in the world if weather co-operates... again missed while sleeping if you were sailing in at 3am like NCL Bliss had to do.

4 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Thanks, Claudio, for adding a positive amidst all the negatives. I'll share it with others on our Roll Call and FB group. 

55 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

This is the attitude I am trying to hold on to....I think it will be kind of cool to be on top deck when we go under Lions Gate and come into Canada Place.  

• Like 1

With the tide issue in Vancouver, I wonder if they'll have to make changes to the return to Hawaii cruise September 20th. Right now, scheduled to sail from Vancouver at 5pm. Do the tide times change?

2 hours ago, cot427 said:

With the tide issue in Vancouver, I wonder if they'll have to make changes to the return to Hawaii cruise September 20th. Right now, scheduled to sail from Vancouver at 5pm. Do the tide times change?

Since the lunar "day" is 24 hours and 50 minutes, high tide will change about 25 minutes each day.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Since the lunar "day" is 24 hours and 50 minutes, high tide will change about 25 minutes each day.

@chengkp75

So if low tide is at 7:51 PM  when Ovation leaves Vancouver on the 13th would they be out near the bridge 10-20 minutes early to be ready to go, it appears to be a short 35 minute window to get under the bridge. Trying to figure out my dinner and pictures going under the bridge plans

Thanks

A