Fog prevents Majestic Princess from docking in Dunedin

We're on board the Majestic Princess.  We were prevented from docking in Port Chalmers (Dunedin) today due to thick fog.  I wonder how often that happens?  The captain said we only had a small window to pull in to port since it has to coincide with the tides and we missed our window.  Of course, there are a lot of disappointed passengers (and crew!).  We had booked the Taieri Gorge train trip.  I guess we'll have to plan another trip to New Zealand some day!  Weather looks decent for the Fiordland National Part tomorrow at least.  Really looking forward to that.

We're just sitting outside of port now going no where.  The crew had to scramble to come up with activities to do today on board the ship.  An unplanned sea day!  We'll make the most of it.

Our arrival into Dunedin on Radiance OTS on Jan 30 was delayed by fog. We were scheduled for 8am arrival, but we awoke to find the ship sitting out in the water, with some headlands visible, but no port in sight. Captain Marek kept us updated regularly, and at one point it looked likely we would not be able to make port.

We eventually docked around 11:30am, and the departure time was put back by 2 hours, enabling us to 'salvage' most of our day in Dunedin. Disembarking was very slow, as everyone was now trying to get off at the same time.

Our pre-booked private 'all-day' tour with Tourworks was due to depart at 9am - we reached them around 12:30pm! With a bit of hustle, and our host Russ' efforts we pretty much got the whole tour in and arrived back at ship in time. Really enjoyed seeing the Otago Peninsula, the penguins, the albatross & the sights of Dunedin city.

So yes, fog does cause issues in Dunedin, even in late Jan, and now it seems in March. All part of the wonderful enjoyment of cruising.

Edited by mr walker

Thats a shame. Just checked the cams and its all cleared away now and a fine day ,  however at 11.30 it would take another hour to get from the heads to the port   ....so it looks like a day at sea .Perhaps some scenic cruising in Foveaux Strait.

Shame you cant get ashore as the Bluff oyster season has just opened.

This is the first cancellation for fog or other weather this season. It's one of the problems of large ship cruising because a delay then leads to tide issues etc. It happens anywherein the world. Smaller ships would have been able to enter here today.

3 minutes ago, erewhon said:

At this moment Majestic Princess is passing Dunedin and is quite close. I can see it from my living room.

I wondered if you could see it . I checked AIS Marine Traffic and saw it was sailing past the City.

3 hours ago, DrOfBytes said:

We're on board the Majestic Princess.  We were prevented from docking in Port Chalmers (Dunedin) today due to thick fog.  I wonder how often that happens?  The captain said we only had a small window to pull in to port since it has to coincide with the tides and we missed our window.  Of course, there are a lot of disappointed passengers (and crew!).  We had booked the Taieri Gorge train trip.  I guess we'll have to plan another trip to New Zealand some day!  Weather looks decent for the Fiordland National Part tomorrow at least.  Really looking forward to that.

We're just sitting outside of port now going no where.  The crew had to scramble to come up with activities to do today on board the ship.  An unplanned sea day!  We'll make the most of it.

You certainly had to wait a while off the heads. This was probably because the Fiordland pilot had to be found earlier than he expected.

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Shame you cant get ashore as the Bluff oyster season has just opened.

Fantastic! We fly into Auckland on the 26th to embark on Solstice on the 29th. I wonder how many of the port stops I can manage to get a feed of Bluff oysters! I haven't had them for years.

Also flying in to auckland from gold coast on 26th for 29th departure on the solstice. Last year in February we missed Dunedin due to fog. Hope this doesn't happen again as with fjordland. Yes, love oysters and will be susing them out.

1 hour ago, portcbob said:

Also flying in to auckland from gold coast on 26th for 29th departure on the solstice. Last year in February we missed Dunedin due to fog. Hope this doesn't happen again as with fjordland. Yes, love oysters and will be susing them out.

After the fog of yesterday they now have a perfect day y for Fiordland...clear blue skies and sea looks like a mill pond.

1319889388_8maj.jpg.e32d5baec828a8ef689236298e625907.jpg

3 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

After the fog of yesterday they now have a perfect day y for Fiordland...clear blue skies and sea looks like a mill pond.

1319889388_8maj.jpg.e32d5baec828a8ef689236298e625907.jpg

Nice to see a perfect day for fjordland, after disappointment of missed port of Dunedin due to fog. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very pleased to report the Bluff oysters are top notch this year. Absolutely delicious! I had them twice in Auckland last week and am hoping to have more at other port stops. We're on Celebrity Solstice in Tauranga at the moment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm very pleased to report the Bluff oysters are top notch this year. Absolutely delicious! I had them twice in Auckland last week and am hoping to have more at other port stops. We're on Celebrity Solstice in Tauranga at the moment.

Nice work, hope you have some sea days as well to utilise the benefits of the oysters, no bluffing.