First Time Spending My Birthday on a Cruise

Jamericannn

This year will be the first year I will spend my birthday on a cruise. I am excited about that. All my cruises have been just a regular vacation without any special celebrations like Christmas, New Year, Thanksgiving, Birthdays etc. Other than singing in the MDR, does carnival do anything for passengers celebrating a special occasion? Yes.... I am talking about freebies :)

I did a cruise for my 30th birthday back in 2008, I kinda remember getting sang to and served a piece of cake with a candle in it, but I don't remember getting anything else. Then again, I spent most of that cruise imbibing, so my memory is a bit fuzzy :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

I've gotten the 50$ spa card and 50% off a bottle of wine and a happy birthday dessert in the MDR. from our cabin steward.  Be sure to check that box on your cruise manager so they know. 

They wouldn't let me transfer the spa card to my wife so I used it for a shave and a touch-up before elegant night.  I thought it was nice.  I like the spa treatment but I don;t generally like the spa price so the 50 dollar gift made it useful.  I think I got out only going over a few bucks and that was because I tipped the stylist.  We got a decent Malbec at the Steakhouse with the wine discount.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Our cabin steward left me a $50 off card for the spa on my birthday.  I left it in the trash.

The steakhouse sent a complimentary rice crispy dessert to our table, but I preferred the cheese plate I had ordered.

Lol. I would use the spa card but I'd pass on the rice crispy.

16 minutes ago, DB2VA said:

Waiter brought my dessert with a candle and they sang, Also received a $50 gift card for the Spa.

Nice. I know about the cake and singing part but it seem like the gift card is also a common thing.

14 minutes ago, schazzy said:

I did a cruise for my 30th birthday back in 2008, I kinda remember getting sang to and served a piece of cake with a candle in it, but I don't remember getting anything else. Then again, I spent most of that cruise imbibing, so my memory is a bit fuzzy :classic_biggrin:

Maybe you got pampered and don't even remember.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, originalgeek said:

I've gotten the 50$ spa card and 50% off a bottle of wine and a happy birthday dessert in the MDR. from our cabin steward.  Be sure to check that box on your cruise manager so they know. 

They wouldn't let me transfer the spa card to my wife so I used it for a shave and a touch-up before elegant night.  I thought it was nice.  I like the spa treatment but I don;t generally like the spa price so the 50 dollar gift made it useful.  I think I got out only going over a few bucks and that was because I tipped the stylist.  We got a decent Malbec at the Steakhouse with the wine discount.

mmmm. Good idea. The tability to transfer would have been nice though because I am not really a spa person. My wife loves spa though so she would enjoy it.

I wouldn't expect anything too big. You might get a little dessert or spa gift card. I went for my birthday too, and the best part about it was knowing that you get to celebrate your birthday in such an awesome setting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I wouldn't expect anything too big. You might get a little dessert or spa gift card. I went for my birthday too, and the best part about it was knowing that you get to celebrate your birthday in such an awesome setting.

That's true. I will be spending the actual day in Bahamas. Will be a lot of fun for sure.

I celebrated my 40th birthday on the Sunshine last September. The waiters in the dining room did bring a small dessert and sing. The cabin steward also left me coupons for the spa and the photo gallery. I had to spend a certain amount in the spa to be able to use the gift card though. I wanted to get a pedicure with it, but ended up having to get both the manicure and pedicure to apply the coupon. So it ended up costing about the same as if I'd just gotten the pedicure by itself. Oh well, it was my birthday present to myself and was one of the most long-lasting mani/pedis I've ever had...

11 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Our cabin steward left me a $50 off card for the spa on my birthday.  I left it in the trash.

Me too.  I’ve gotten those spa gift cards a couple of times and they are worthless unless you are willing to spend something extra as no product or service comes in at under $50. 

4 minutes ago, GradUT said:

Me too.  I’ve gotten those spa gift cards a couple of times and they are worthless unless you are willing to spend something extra as no product or service comes in at under $50. 

My wife and I have both gotten the $50 spa cards several times when cruising on a birthday. Every card ends up in the same place, the garbage can in the cabin bathroom. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My wife and I have both gotten the $50 spa cards several times when cruising on a birthday. Every card ends up in the same place, the garbage can in the cabin bathroom. 👍

Dang , you could've  used it for half a haircut  😉

I will be celebrating my birthday upon boarding Conquest next Saturday.  I think my special needs dd is more excited than I am about it!   I do not expect anything from Carnival (probably will get the $50 spa card which I won't use) but I know dh took dd to get a birthday sign for our cabin door.  Milestone cruise, birthday - life is good!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Jamericannn said:

This year will be the first year I will spend my birthday on a cruise. I am excited about that. All my cruises have been just a regular vacation without any special celebrations like Christmas, New Year, Thanksgiving, Birthdays etc. Other than singing in the MDR, does carnival do anything for passengers celebrating a special occasion? Yes.... I am talking about freebies 🙂

We celebrated our (49th) Anniversary on our last cruise in March, and we received a little mini cake to share when in the MDR, with a candle and they sang to us. Then we received a $40 coupon for the Spa, but what on earth can you get for $40 in the Spa, besides a one day pass for one person to use their facilities. Also, a coupon for a photo by their professional photographers. I interpreted it as getting any one of the pics that were taken throughout the week. Nope. It meant scheduling with a photographer to have professional photos done. We didn’t bother. I would have preferred a free bottle of wine. At least that was something we could enjoy. 

Spa and photo gift card is what I got

Hope you will make wonderful birthday memories on your cruise that the free gift you will get that cost  nothing but it a treasure to have those memories 

have a wonderful birthday 🎂🎂🎂