Stay Tuned - Extra Fee for Second Entree

Ereggae

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Reducing waste is the same as increasing profits. This has nothing to do about making anything more enjoyable for passengers. I understand their reasons for doing so and their approach. Instead of giving an example like Disney do tell how this is not a money grab in the MDR? Portions are small in the MDR and are easily finished by most people. This has nothing to do with waste ..... Again, look at the buffets. How much food is wasted there 3 times a day and why not focus there? 

""Over the years we have upgraded the menu, and we have experienced that guests occasionally order additional main courses they simply can't finish," a spokesperson for Holland America told Cruise Critic. "Holland America Line has made great efforts to reduce food waste and with this we can better determine if guests who order a second entree will truly enjoy it." This is how they word it .......

Ordering a second item cuts into profits and charging for it may be a deterrent as their excuse when the reality is it's there as another possible way to add to the profit of their bottom line no matter their verbiage. 

ok...I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly doesn't understand there is more than one reason to run a test with patrons. My examples have been based on real life experience with international, multi billion dollar companies. While there may be some profit to be had, I promise you, it's not the leading reason for the test.

I guess my last question for you would be, If you clearly believe it's nothing more than a profit grab, and this company is only interested in the bottom line and not guest satisfaction, would you continue to spend your vacation dollars with that company?

19 minutes ago, hcat said:

What line charges $20 for lobster?

Most on X are fairly small..at most $5 at Publix!

Exactly! These are probably 4oz cold water lobsters that are bought in bulk and already cleaned and prepped to cook. That's why I say it's more of a deterrent.

4 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

ok...I'm not going to argue with someone who clearly doesn't understand there is more than one reason to run a test with patrons. My examples have been based on real life experience with international, multi billion dollar companies. While there may be some profit to be had, I promise you, it's not the leading reason for the test.

I guess my last question for you would be, If you clearly believe it's nothing more than a profit grab, and this company is only interested in the bottom line and not guest satisfaction, would you continue to spend your vacation dollars with that company?

I never said HAL, Celebrity, or any other line didn't care about guest satisfaction. I do know that cruise industry wide there is an increased effort to nickel and dime and squeeze every last dollar out of passengers that they can. Do I blame them? No, certainly not. You can't sail on any line that doesn't work this way. They are a business and they have shareholders. What we don't need is lies trying to convince us that the bottom line isn't the reason. HAL will do what they want but just tell it how it is. If you want more, you have to pay for it. Talking about waste and making sure you enjoy your second entree is HAL's verbiage and smoke screen around the truth. You say test run? What is HAL's test run? It's keeping people from eating too much or making them pay .....Not waste.  We can agree to disagree. You can mention your real life experiences and Disney's models and that's fine. I say it's a simple way for HAL to make more money contrary to what they say is the reason. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hcat said:

What line charges $20 for lobster?

Most on X are fairly small..at most $5 at Publix!

The same lines that charges $7.08 (tip included), for a domestic beer that I can buy for $.65 (tax included) when it's on sale, which is pretty often.

20 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Do people regularly order more than one entree?    I don't blame the lines one bit for looking at this.  

From personal observation many do.   After more than 40 cruises I have never ordered more than one.

I am sure waste must be huge.   We once had a table mate in Luminae (someone we met on the cruise) that would order a minimum of 2 starters, 2 main courses and 2 deserts at every meal.   Most of the time they would taste each and then only eat one of each.   

Remember it isn't free and that in the end, we are all paying for the waste.

20 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Do people regularly order more than one entree?    I don't blame the lines one bit for looking at this.  

From personal observation many do.   After more than 40 cruises I have never ordered more than one.

I am sure waste must be huge.   We once had a table mate in Luminae (someone we met on the cruise) that would order a minimum of 2 starters, 2 main courses and 2 deserts at every meal.   Most of the time they would taste each and then only eat one of each.   

Remember it isn't free and that in the end, we are all paying for the waste.

3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Also, HAL continues to offer all-you-can-eat in the buffet.  They're just removing that option from the MDR. 

And I think it makes sense. Cruiselines have allowed this and now its getting throttled back. I'm pretty sure we won't get of the ships feeling hungry and we likely will be healthier for it. 

Edited by MizDemeanor

Not too long ago X tried to charge $10 for burgers at the grill.  Guess if you pay that much for a burger you'll be sure to eat every crumb.  Guests revolted and that quickly ended.  On some ships Royal is currently charging $2.50 for popcorn at the theater.  The charge is supposed to encourage you to eat the popcorn and not throw it around.   I'm sure these aren't money grabs either.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Not too long ago X tried to charge $10 for burgers at the grill.  Guess if you pay that much for a burger you'll be sure to eat every crumb.  Guests revolted and that quickly ended.  On some ships Royal is currently charging $2.50 for popcorn at the theater.  The charge is supposed to encourage you to eat the popcorn and not throw it around.   I'm sure these aren't money grabs either.

I’d forgotten about the gastro burger episode - how short-lived was that 🤔!

2 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

That $10 thing for the grill made no sense and it indeed should have been rescinded. That was a money grab pure and simple. It sounds like the Popcorn is a revenue generator on a smaller scale and I align it with things like the floating mats at Labadee and you think really, why???

I'm anxious to learn how the test turns out. 

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We've don't order a 2nd entrée, even to share.  The one time I remember doing that was because the 1st entrée was over cooked and over spiced and I sent it back after 1 bite.  Still don't agree with charging for it.

In the case of an issue with the first entree or even dislike you should be able to order another or different entree at no charge. Even land based restaurants will do this. Customer satisfaction should always prevail.

However, issues could arise with those who may abuse the system that could lead to awkward confrontations between the server and passenger. A slippery slope.

• Like 1