Just off Symphony - the good and meh

I forgot to mention while on board we booked next year's cruise. As soon as we saw a Royal ship going to the Dominican Republic and Tortola we jumped. Plus we managed to grab corner aft junior suite 8088 on vision for it! 

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think you should start a thread asking that question which will no doubt morph into,"Do I have to wear my dentures in the MDR on formal night"?

That might be the answer. Left dentures in room.

That's maybe why I'm alright. I still own my own

6 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

Thanks for the review! We are onboard in 35 days!

I have been on 2 other cruises with MTD and my experience is what you were expecting - same wait staff every night. Some nights we did opt to wait a few minutes though to achieve that and one night they asked us to come a little earlier so that we could stay in their section. I wonder if on a ship the size of symphony if it’s harder to do that? Or maybe they prioritized meeting your reservation time to ensure it was met (6:30 is sort of a tricky time - early diners are not out of the area yet so they need to find a table that stayed open for the first hour for you).

We have a group of 8 and switched to Traditional Early Seating for this cruise - which isn’t my favorite because the meals take forever - but we will have the same waitstaff!

One question - did you do the escape room? If so - when did you reserve it?

Also - what time did you board? How long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the Feb. 2 cruise, arrived at 11:30AM at terminal and even with my wife needing help of a wheel chair to get her on board, we were at CP Café by 12:15PM.  Really pretty fast and even faster disembarking.  Mentioned in one of my post that it took no more than 15 seconds to clear Customs as they were using Facial Recognition Technology.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think you should start a thread asking that question which will no doubt morph into,"Do I have to wear my dentures in the MDR on formal night"?

The answer is YES. Very much YES :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

44 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I was on the Feb. 2 cruise, arrived at 11:30AM at terminal and even with my wife needing help of a wheel chair to get her on board, we were at CP Café by 12:15PM.  Really pretty fast and even faster disembarking.  Mentioned in one of my post that it took no more than 15 seconds to clear Customs as they were using Facial Recognition Technology.

The facial recognition sped it up so much 

We just got off the same cruise. I thought the food in the MDR was a big improvement over what it was on past cruises. The same for the Windjammer. We only went to Hooked, and thought it was excellent. We didn't go to Hairspray, because we'd seen it on the Oasis. But the 2 ice shows, and the 2 Aqua theater were amazing, as was Flight. The comedians were a riot, but one of them was retiring from cruise ships after this cruise. Never said why. The service throughout the ship was great, from the bar servers who were plentiful to our wait staff. We had traditional dining. The ship itself  is beautiful, clean, and constantly maintained. Painters were everywhere touching up spots. The check in and debarkation were the fastest I've ever seen. On the ship in 10 minutes, and off in about 10, starting from our number called to getting our luggage.

Do  you have to make reservations for MTD? Seems to defeat the purpose. We have done NCL where there is no traditional seating and never had to wait and also Carnival where they had a separate room for ATD. It sounds like everyone is mixed together on RCCL. Is that true? Are there many tables for 2? 

8 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Do  you have to make reservations for MTD? Seems to defeat the purpose. We have done NCL where there is no traditional seating and never had to wait and also Carnival where they had a separate room for ATD. It sounds like everyone is mixed together on RCCL. Is that true? Are there many tables for 2? 

Reservations are not required for MTD.  Many tables for 2.

12 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Not required, but I'd recommend going into your cruise planner and booking them. Worst case is you don't show up at the scheduled time, but go at an earlier or later time. During our Symphony cruise last month we made reservations for five of the nights. One night we didn't make it and one night we didn't make it for the time we reserved, but then went later that evening to the non reserved line and were seated right away.

I was on Harmony 2 weeks ago and did MTD at 6:15 every night for a party of 10. Although I didn’t request it, we had the same table and wait staff every night. I enjoyed getting to know them.