Contract clause photo/data privacy (or lack thereof)

kaymoz

Was checking in online last night and reading HAL's contract when I came across a section that raised an eyebrow, so thought I would share with others for comment.    (text pasted below, highlight added)

I am no lawyer, but as I read it, we are to agree that HAL and its various partner entities can use images or other recordings of us, captured with our awareness or not, and share our personal & sensitive data, for basically however they like.  So broad!

Does anyone have any experience with this, knowingly that is?

16. FACIAL RECOGNITION SOFTWARE; USE AND DISPLAY OF LIKENESS; PERSONAL DATA; PRIVACY NOTICE; PUBLIC WIRELESS SERVICES.

You grant Carrier and its licensees the right to use Your photograph/voice/indicia taken during Your Cruise, Land + Sea Journey, and/or Land Trips in any fashion for any purpose in all media now known or hereafter devised without any limitations whatsoever. Professional photographers photograph Guests, process, display and sell such photos to You and other Guests. Carrier may utilize closed circuit television or other surveillance means on board the Ship. You agree You may provide personal data to Carrier that may include Your name, street or email address, date of birth, passport, financial account, and/or telephone numbers, likeness, photograph or other information which would identify You personally. You may also provide Carrier or others certain sensitive data such as Your health, medical condition, dietary or religious restrictions, gender or sexual orientation. You agree Carrier may (a) keep Your personal and sensitive data ("PSD"); (b) use it in its business worldwide in accordance with its privacy policies; (c) share it with Carrier's affiliated/related companies, and (d) subject it to processing worldwide provided Carrier's safeguards are used. You agree any PSD You provide to Carrier in the European Economic Area ("EEA") may be used, processed and transferred within and outside the EEA and specifically to the U.S.

You agree Carrier may disclose Your PSD to unaffiliated third parties: (a) after You request or authorize it; (b) to help complete a transaction for You; (c) to comply with law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, court orders or subpoenas; (d) to enforce this Cruise Contract or other agreements, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Carrier or others; (e) as part of a purchase, transfer or sale of services or assets (f) when provided to our agents, outside vendors or service providers to perform functions on our behalf; or (g) as described in Carrier's policies, as amended from time to time.

I bought a cruise video from the ship and I was in a few shots. Doesn’t bother me.

They also use facial recognition software to match your check in picture with pictures they take and sell in the photo shop.

No worries here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No concern to me either.

Aside from the video they produce on board...

They need to share your passport info, name, etc with the various ports to get clearance and pre-clearance.

If you are ill and need to be evacuated, they need to share your medical info as well.

They are simply covering themselves for those scenarios as well as others.

Did you highlight the closed circuit tv or other surveillance sentance?  You were not aware that they had surveillance onboard?

With regards to your personal data, the only by reading Carnival's privacy policy can you make a judgement as to how your personal data is used.

They use facial recognition to sort the professional photographs onto USB drives. It's not perfect, we got a few that weren't us. But the photographers are no longer printing every shot hoping that you'll find them and decide what prints you want.

They use facial recognition to sort the professional photographs onto USB drives. It's not perfect, we got a few that weren't us. But the photographers are no longer printing every shot hoping that you'll find them and decide what prints you want.

You can also see your photos on your phone or iPad in your cabin. No need to go down to the photo store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk