US Travel Pass to EU -US $7.90 after 2021?

OlsSalt

From the online media - any corroboration reports?  US need a US $7.90 Travel Pass to visit EU-Schengen countries after 2021 - good for 3 years.  Sounds somewhat like the US$5.00 electronic "visa" for Australia.

Americans traveling to Europe will soon have to add a new item to their packing lists.

Starting in 2021, the European Union will require US visitors to get a pre-approved, visa-like travel pass issued by the European Travel Information and Authorization System.

The permit will cost about $7.90 and will have to be requested at least four days before the journey—making romantic last-minute jaunts to Paris impossible.

But permission will be good for three years and for multiple trips in and out of the Schengen Zone, which covers 26 countries.

Under current rules, Americans can travel in Europe without a visa for up to 90 days.

The new requirement will serve as a security check, EU officials said Friday.

(New York Post)

Edited by OlsSalt

I have read about that, too, this weekend. It seems to be comparable to the ESTA registration in the US and can be done online as well.

It really seems to be meant as an extra security check because of the very open borders in Europe. Schengen countries are excluded from the need to register, as far as I know.

It's quite true and similar to what US requires (ESTA) and Australia also has a similar program. 

No big deal -- easy to register and minimal cost for a 3-year registration. Biggest hassle will doubtless be making people aware of their obligation to do it.

• Like 1

Note that it is not only the US that is affected - 60 countries will now require ETIAS to enter the EU.

This includes Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, etc - the full list can be found on their website. 

While it seems reasonable, I only hope that travellers will be well informed about such a change before embarking on their next voyage. The first I heard of this was on CC and I didn't know Canada was affected until I talked to some of my cruise friends!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, simplyrubies said:

Note that it is not only the US that is affected - 60 countries will now require ETIAS to enter the EU.

Agree...and from the OP's title post, it is NOT a US pass. It's an EU travel authorization, applying to many countries.  The US is just one. The US equivalent is the ESTA, which has been in existence for quite awhile.

Many questions here.  Will I have to mail my passport to the EU government for this "visa?"  Will I have to print something out and bring with me to show the airline at check-in or European border officials?  Will there still be border agents at the airport to slow me down?  How does this make travel more convenient?  I predict that this will be very onerous and reduce the number off travelers who can access the world. 

9 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Many questions here.  Will I have to mail my passport to the EU government for this "visa?"  Will I have to print something out and bring with me to show the airline at check-in or European border officials?  Will there still be border agents at the airport to slow me down?  How does this make travel more convenient?  I predict that this will be very onerous and reduce the number off travelers who can access the world. 

It's an online form. They estimate it'll take you less than 10 minutes to complete. You will need to provide personal information (name, gender, date of birth, etc.), passport information, what EU member state you're entering, questions about your health and criminal record, and questions about "EU immigration history" (I'm guessing this means prior visits to the EU). So you won't physically have to give them anything.

I haven't been able to find information about how they verify your ETIAS status. I'm guessing that it will pop up on any agent's screens when you are travelling automatically but it would be safer to carry out some kind of print out to verify your status. More informations should be forthcoming as we get closer to 2021.

Yes, there will still be border agents. Like any other visa, you would still have to pass through metal detectors and customs. However, when you're travelling in the Schengen Area, you wouldn't be subject to customs checks seeing as there is free movement of peoples. 

It isn't about making travel more convenient. They claim it is to increase security and to help crack down on illegal immigration, though I suspect part of it is political as the US requires EU citizens to follow a similar procedure when travelling to the US. If the US wasn't willing to remove it, the EU sure is willing to impose one so that standards between the countries are equal. Not sure why it was imposed on the 59 other countries though, but I suspect similar measures were in place? Like Canada - the only citizens that are not required to do the equivalent of this in Canada are Canadians and Americans.

The cost is quite minimal (7 euros) but I do agree that the process seems quite complicated and there does not seem to be clear answers to many people's questions. The roll out of the ETIAS has not been well done. I've learned more about it on CC than from the news, to be completely honest. 

Edited by simplyrubies
  • Like 1

Thank you for the response.  I fully intend to continue to travel to Europe and elsewhere regardless of this procedure, and yes, I understand that my government is doing this to Europeans in the name of safety.  However, I predict many people in 2021 will buy plane tickets, head to the airport, and not have this "visa."

36 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

If it is anything like the Australian system, it will take you about 15 minutes per passport to do the on line work and pay your fee. That is absolutely all you have to do.

It gets attached electronically to your passport record, so when anyone looks electronically at your passport,  like Immigration officials,  and perhaps your cruise ship, they see you are approved for travel.

That is all there is to it. It is not complicated. And by the way, the US has required more of visitors for a long time.

As a European, the ESTA that we need to enter USA costs $14 and is valid for only 2 years.  The Etias is €7 and valid for 3 years.  It covers 22 countries, the ESTA covers 1.

I believe that information will be more public closer to the event, which is still 20 months away.  When the online application system is open, more information will be in the media etc.  No point in putting information about now as there is no application system and that would only cause confusion.

Just a FYI - we do not need to physically carry our ESTA document with us, but it is recommended that we carry a print out of the reference number.  When we pre-clear immigration at Dublin airport, the agent scans our passport and their system shows the ESTA.

Edited by VMax1700

I'm not sure what triggered this weekend's belated reporting in US media on the creation of ETIAS. The European Parliament reached final agreement on the establishment of the European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) in July 2018, having first proposed it in 2016.

12,000,000 US citizens visit Europe in a year......(2016 number)

12,000,000 x $7.90 = $94,800,000USD (if I did my math correctly, in any way you figure it, it's a big number)

I'd say it's a smart move and should benefit the Euro bureaucrats nicely.

When will Britain Brexit?  Can't be soon enough.  

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

As a European, the ESTA that we need to enter USA costs $14 and is valid for only 2 years.  The Etias is €7 and valid for 3 years.  It covers 22 countries, the ESTA covers 1.

I believe that information will be more public closer to the event, which is still 20 months away.  When the online application system is open, more information will be in the media etc.  No point in putting information about now as there is no application system and that would only cause confusion.

Just a FYI - we do not need to physically carry our ESTA document with us, but it is recommended that we carry a print out of the reference number.  When we pre-clear immigration at Dublin airport, the agent scans our passport and their system shows the ESTA.

You get 50 whole states for the single US $14 price,.... when you enter the US. :classic_rolleyes:

More stats then....

7,600,000 Europeans visited the USA in 2016

7,600,000 x $14 = $106,400,000 (if I did my math correct but any way, it's a big number)

I'd say it's a smart move and should benefit the DC bureaucrats nicely.

Now, about Brexit.......LOL