Not the greatest publicity for Royal Caribbean

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Communications snafu? Insufficient planning and/or follow-ups? Who knows but it must have been gut-wrenching for this guy and his family to have their embarkation denied.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-10/royal-caribbean-accused-of-rejecting-customer-due-to-disability/10887634

Heard his wife interviewed on ABC Radio this morning. One of the standout things she said was that the female doctor stood BEHIND Professor Yerbury and refused to move to where he could see her. The doctor also stated that the carers weren't even trained nurses. So much for 25 years experience in caring for special needs patients and being a constant carer for Professor Yerbury at his home. Obviously there's been a huge breakdown in communication somewhere but surely a fast track could have occurred while they were at the dock.

Wow, that doctor should be fired! How rude!

You'd expect a cruise line to have a company representative on call for situations like this. They're selling a product that operates 24/7 and I don't believe that there is absolutely no senior person in RCI that couldn't have been contacted to verify documents and requests were lodged, and to sort out the problem.

I just feel so angry that something like this could happen. Not just as a frequent cruiser but as someone who has worked in disability support. THe effort it must have taken to organise and prepare for this. It was a cruise for 9 family members who had all taken time off work and two carers. 11 people in total and Prof Yerbury had travel insurance!

Yes, it should not have happened. That's one of the reasons I posted the article here after reading it on FB. RCI deserve as much negative publicity as can be generated.

Now if another of the cruise companies currently in Australia was smart they would contact Prof. Yerbury and offer him a replacement cruise at a discount, and make sure the media heard about it. 😈

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it should not have happened. That's one of the reasons I posted the article here after reading it on FB. RCI deserve as much negative publicity as can be generated.

Now if another of the cruise companies currently in Australia was smart they would contact Prof. Yerbury and offer him a replacement cruise at a discount, and make sure the media heard about it. 😈

Professor Yerbury has issued a statement saying it was such a mammoth undertaking he doubts they could or would, ever try again. 

11 minutes ago, sailco said:

Professor Yerbury has issued a statement saying it was such a mammoth undertaking he doubts they could or would, ever try again. 

That's understandable, but sad. Cruising is (or should be) such an easy travel environment for people with disabilities, once they are onboard of course. 

As a medical professional, this has certainly made me re-think any further RCI cruises. They should supposedly be able to handle a worst case scenario cardiac arrest, for any passenger, so what exactly is it they could not do for this passenger.

Would NEVER have happened in USA with their ADA, they cant even turn away people with emotional support dogs, dressed as sailors, in strollers!!!!

Im sorry if I seem cross. I am. And it takes a lot. There must be SOMETHING that SOMEONE can do to get some really International coverage.

Ok, my husband has told me to 'put the tablet down', and is offering to trade it for a glass of wine.....so I must look as cross as I feel.....

8 minutes ago, chopper_1 said:

Terrible shame for all involved.

Maybe they had this in the back of their minds:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/03/11/16/36/news-us-cruise-line-ordered-to-pay-dead-passengers-family-4-million

Possibly, the worst thing was the lack of communication, they had jumped through all the hoops and had fronted with all the required documentation and then were denied embarkation.  Very stressful for all of them.

37 minutes ago, chopper_1 said:

Terrible shame for all involved.

Maybe they had this in the back of their minds:

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/03/11/16/36/news-us-cruise-line-ordered-to-pay-dead-passengers-family-4-million

Professor Yerbery and his family were fully aware of all the risks. They had all their own machinery and equipment and their own around-the-clock carers.They would not have needed the onboard medical services.

The behaviour of the Doctor on board the RCI ship seems to imply she felt intimidated by Justin Yerbery's disability and inadequate to respond to his needs. BUT she would never have been needed.

Everyone in our cruising network and beyond, should be made aware that a WORLD RENOWNED MEDICAL RESEAECH SCIENTIST who just happens to have a disabilty, was denied his dream of a family holiday.

Edited by sailco

When I read this yesterday I was disappointed, but not surprised by RCI. Not the first time I've seen a story like this come out, but their popularity means they just make these calls, knowing that there'll be more people booking that there's no detriment to them.

Basically, if you're in the majority, you'll get a decent experience. But if there's an individual issue and something goes wrong, it's too bad, so sad, with a refund after the event for the cruise component if it's significant enough.

Very sad that this happened.

I'd like to comment on RCI handling of the situation and subsequent media exposure. Unfortunately the post would surely be deleted as I can't think of a way to express my revulsion in a sufficiently polite manner.

It is an unfortunate situation, particularly the lateness of it occurring. Clearly there were miscommunications, but I, and perhaps others here on cc, we will never know all the facts. If indeed it was the doctors call, I am sure it was a decision not taken lightly & I for one am not in a position to second guess the doctor.

• Like 1