Hotels used by Princess for Port Everglades

reemab1

Hi - we are flying in from the UK to Miami the day before our cruise in November.  Princess have booked us a hotel for the night but at this point were unable to tell us which one.  Just curious to know if its likely to be in Miami or Fort Lauderdale and which hotels they tend to use.  Thank you. 

Hi, we're also flying from the UK to Miami in November for a Fort Lauderdale cruise. I booked by calling Princess in the UK and they did the hotel reservation at the same time as booking the cruise. I was offered either a hotel by Miami airport or one in Fort Lauderdale for the same price. I chose Fort Lauderdale and I can see it's Element Fort Lauderdale in my cruise information online (on the Princess website). It's a Marriott hotel and only opened earlier this year.

I have just seen from our itinerary that we have been allocated Shula's hotel and golf resort in Miami - any thoughts? Or would Fort Lauderdale be better? Thank you for your above comments.

1 hour ago, ruth1304 said:

Hi, we're also flying from the UK to Miami in November for a Fort Lauderdale cruise. I booked by calling Princess in the UK and they did the hotel reservation at the same time as booking the cruise. I was offered either a hotel by Miami airport or one in Fort Lauderdale for the same price. I chose Fort Lauderdale and I can see it's Element Fort Lauderdale in my cruise information online (on the Princess website). It's a Marriott hotel and only opened earlier this year.

Hi - which cruise are you on? 

19 hours ago, Coral said:

For UK individuals, it used to be Miami Intercontinental Airport hotel. I would be curious if this changed.

We like that Intercontinental Doral. It has been used for UK charters for many years.

Not sure if they still do or not.

Not a great location as far as attractions but nice upscale. 

1 hour ago, reemab1 said:

I have just seen from our itinerary that we have been allocated Shula's hotel and golf resort in Miami - any thoughts? Or would Fort Lauderdale be better? Thank you for your above comments.

The agent who booked my hotel said that we would either have to travel from Miami to Fort Lauderdale when we flew in or the next day for our hotel to port transfer. I chose Fort Lauderdale to have the shorter journey on the day the cruise starts, but you have to do the miles one way or another so from that point of view it doesn't matter too much. We're not arriving until about 7pm so we're not planning any sightseeing. If you were planning to do anything the day you arrived then that might make a difference but if it's just about staying somewhere until you get on the cruise then I'm not sure how much difference it would make. I've never stayed in any of the hotels so can't compare them, to me it's just about location.

41 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Stayed at an Element Hotel in Miami when it firsthand  opened. I was very much impressed with this new brand. 

That's good to know. Most of the reviews I've seen are from people who stayed in the Fort Lauderdale one just after it opened and they were still ironing out a few details.

3 minutes ago, ruth1304 said:

That's good to know. Most of the reviews I've seen are from people who stayed in the Fort Lauderdale one just after it opened and they were still ironing out a few details.

I was one of the first guests in this new hotel.  Yes, there were lots of bugs (heater wasn't turned on in the hotel...yet).  They were so accommodating.  The rooms are spacious and laid out nicely.  There's a breakfast bar and coffee/tea all day.  I'm sure it would be the same in Fort Lauderdale.  Your questions should be how far away from the port are you and is there a shuttle.  I am sure you will be tired of traveling by the time you land in Miami but I would rather overnight in Fort Lauderdale.  There is a train that will take you from Miami International to almost near Fort Lauderdale airport.  Not sure how close the hotel is from there (maybe a free shuttle too)?

5 hours ago, ruth1304 said:

27 November - 10 days Southern Caribbean. Can't wait, it will be my second cruise and my first time in the Caribbean.

Aw we beat you - we fly in Nov 1 ! As my husband says it's only for 1 night 🙂 ! Seems ages to wait.

5 hours ago, ruth1304 said:

... I chose Fort Lauderdale to have the shorter journey on the day the cruise starts, but you have to do the miles one way or another so from that point of view it doesn't matter too much. ....

Only if you fly into MIA instead of FLL ...

The ship sails from FLL so we always stay in FLL

7 hours ago, reemab1 said:

Our friends from the UK were also assigned that and stayed there last September. They enjoyed it.  They flew into FLL and were brought to that hotel and then back to Port Everglades the next day.

I know they had a great burger at the restaurant for dinner.

We have previously booked a Princess package which included flights from LHR to Miami..hotel was the Intercontinental at Doral. Fairly pleasant hotel but not close to very much. Could walk to a Walmart for last minute supplies. Coach transfer to port on morning of cruise.

We have also booked flights from Cardiff via Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale and used the hotel Princess was using..Embassy Suites. This hotel is in a very convenient location with shops and restaurants adjacent to the parking lot. Hotel is in need of upgrade but clean with good buffet breakfast and personable staff. Shuttle at 9 dollars per person or taxi for $12 to port....Maybe Princess have changed from this hotel as it is an older hotel.

Having done several cruises from Port Everglades, we now book our own flights , hotels and use taxis to port. Going from a 'new to us'  port ( South America last year) we use Princess packages.

Would suggest asking Princess or Travel Agent to determine exactly what they are booking for you..tell them what you want..there are options available to them. It is your money, so your choice!

8 hours ago, ruth1304 said:

We're not arriving until about 7pm so we're not planning any sightseeing. If you were planning to do anything the day you arrived then that might make a difference but if it's just about staying somewhere until you get on the cruise then I'm not sure how much difference it would make. I've never stayed in any of the hotels so can't compare them, to me it's just about location.

My last cruise out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), I arrived at the airport around 9 p.m.  The hotel's airport shuttle was still running, so we got to the hotel without a hitch. 

Unfortunately, the hotel's coffee shop was already closed.  Twelve hours later, we were in the hotel lobby waiting for the shuttle to the ship.  No time to sightsee, no time to explore, we were happy with the hotel for the one night's sleep (plus breakfast) regardless of the location!  

I have no idea which hotel it was, whatever Princess had offered us was good for me!

(In Vancouver, staying right across the street from the cruise terminal -- one of Princess's offerings to us -- was fantastic, because the hotel's bellmen took care of our baggage, and we simply walked across the street.)

On 3/13/2019 at 9:25 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Our friends from the UK were also assigned that and stayed there last September. They enjoyed it.  They flew into FLL and were brought to that hotel and then back to Port Everglades the next day.

I know they had a great burger at the restaurant for dinner.

OOh thats good news - love a good burger.!!

On 3/13/2019 at 4:33 PM, Reina del Mar said:

We have previously booked a Princess package which included flights from LHR to Miami..hotel was the Intercontinental at Doral. Fairly pleasant hotel but not close to very much. Could walk to a Walmart for last minute supplies. Coach transfer to port on morning of cruise.

We have also booked flights from Cardiff via Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale and used the hotel Princess was using..Embassy Suites. This hotel is in a very convenient location with shops and restaurants adjacent to the parking lot. Hotel is in need of upgrade but clean with good buffet breakfast and personable staff. Shuttle at 9 dollars per person or taxi for $12 to port....Maybe Princess have changed from this hotel as it is an older hotel.

Having done several cruises from Port Everglades, we now book our own flights , hotels and use taxis to port. Going from a 'new to us'  port ( South America last year) we use Princess packages.

Would suggest asking Princess or Travel Agent to determine exactly what they are booking for you..tell them what you want..there are options available to them. It is your money, so your choice!

Old and tired.......

The Embassy Suites has been in need of a refurbishment since it was a Crown Sterling Suites hotel in the 80's.

The problem is they are always full and they could care less about updating anything because they still sell out regardless.

We stopped staying there in the early 2000's. Lots of nicer places now.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:22 PM, Mike45LC said:

(In Vancouver, staying right across the street from the cruise terminal -- one of Princess's offerings to us -- was fantastic, because the hotel's bellmen took care of our baggage, and we simply walked across the street.)

The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel?

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The Fairmont Waterfront Hotel?

Yes.  We were very pleased with the hotel -- the room was nice, the staff was wonderful.  And it was so convenient, with the bellman taking care of getting our luggage over to the ship in the morning.

On 3/13/2019 at 1:56 PM, reemab1 said:

We were put in there in February. The hotel is OK not complaints but it is a bit remote, we arrived about 5 had a walk around something to eat then bed as its a long day coming from the UK. The transfer the next day was at 11.30 - 12 which we thought was a little late to be hanging around so we doubled with another couple and shared a taxi. Next time I will book my own hotel in Fort Lauderdale as I have done in previous years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, windsurferfirst said:

We were put in there in February. The hotel is OK not complaints but it is a bit remote, we arrived about 5 had a walk around something to eat then bed as its a long day coming from the UK. The transfer the next day was at 11.30 - 12 which we thought was a little late to be hanging around so we doubled with another couple and shared a taxi. Next time I will book my own hotel in Fort Lauderdale as I have done in previous years.

Hmm - perhaps I'll think about changing ...first time we have used a princess booked hotel overnight so all new to us! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, reemab1 said:

Hmm - perhaps I'll think about changing ...first time we have used a princess booked hotel overnight so all new to us! 

You know what? the hotel was clean and the staff were lovely. If you stay don't eat breakfast at the hotel unless its part of your package I thought it was expensive for what it was -  Im not a lover of American streaky bacon although I lived in Canada for 10 years so should have got used to it. There is a little coffee shop right next door with tables out side I would use that. The only problem for us was the transfer time. We got to the port for 11am and walked straight on to the ship and sat in the sun by 11.15 sipping a cocktail. If had stayed for the transfer we would still have been at the hotel. We just wanted to get to the ship and start enjoying it not be hanging around at the hotel. The cab cost $60 and was well worth it.

Edited by windsurferfirst