Check Your Flights - re:Boeing

sippican

The strange thing is at this precise moment in time there are five Boeing 737 Max 8 flying in US airspace, 4 American Airlines 1 South West Airlines, Antigua to Philadelphia, Peurto Plata to Boston, Santo Domingo to Philadelphia, New York to Orlando and St Croix to Tulsa. The ban seems ineffective.

22 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

The strange thing is at this precise moment in time there are five Boeing 737 Max 8 flying in US airspace, 4 American Airlines 1 South West Airlines, Antigua to Philadelphia, Peurto Plata to Boston, Santo Domingo to Philadelphia, New York to Orlando and St Croix to Tulsa. The ban seems ineffective.

They could be empty and are coming back to the US to park them.

34 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Or, more likely, the source you are deriving this information from is ineffective.

3 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

So if someone misses their cruise because there are not enough planes to move those thousands of passengers to their destination, will insurance cover the cost?

There are numerous different travel insurance policies, all with different terms & conditions. Most policies (that are not medical only) cover missing one's vacation because of greatly delayed or cancelled flights - but the exclusions and what one must do to be able to cash in (i.e. what effort one must make to still make the ship) differ greatly from policy-to-policy.

43 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

It is likely that the plane ID number/type was not changed.  I would seriously doubt any US airline would be flying 737 max 8's or 9's given the extensive liability should something happen.  The geneva (or whatever) convention would not limit their financial exposure.

23 minutes ago, Gonzo70 said:

Or, more likely, the source you are deriving this information from is ineffective.

Flightradar 24 is never ineffective, it is 100% accurate. This has been subject of ongoing comment  today on PPrune forum but for some reason, the mods are clamping down on comments there. The filters on the app have been set to show only Boeing 737 Max 8 flights.

Screenshot_20190314-195014_Flightradar24.jpg

Edited by BigAl94

45 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

These are empty positioning flights to get the aircraft back to Base, which is allowed by the FAA.

• Like 2

Empty planes nosediving out of the sky might cause cause problems if that were the case which I doubt and how do you explain the fact that there are no movements anywhere else in the world?

Edited by BigAl94

On 3/14/2019 at 3:57 PM, BigAl94 said:

Empty planes nosediving out of the sky might cause cause problems if that were the case which I doubt and how do you explain the fact that there are no movements anywhere else in the world?

Perhaps, because the other airlines have already returned the affected 737 to their "home" airports.  Since the US delayed the grounding, it has taken longer for the US based airlines to get them back home to a maintenance base.  There is an issue of pilot availibility getting planes from the somewhat far flung locations that you referenced.

On 3/14/2019 at 11:45 AM, Despegue said:

Trust me, I also dislike Politics on this forum, but I did feel the need to give some background info regarding the reason why the FAA was reluctant to ground the MAX and why Boeing has not come-up with a fix yet. 

Thank you for your very informative post. Unfortunately politics permeate our everyday waking minute and there are those who want to hear nothing but the positive while overlooking any faults.  Maybe I should expect it from the demographic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, BigAl94 said:

buddy, trust me on this, they were positioning flights, just like there were positioning flights within Europe that same day.

Sometimes you need to accept facts given to you by people having more knowledge on the matter.

• Like 4

I agree they were ferry flights. The orders from FAA and Transport Canada allowed revenue flights to continue to their destination. This left planes stranded at outstations across the continental US, Canada, Hawaii, and the Caribbean. The order allows ferry flights back to maintenance base(s). In Europe and Asia, the pattern was more haphazard as some countries completely closed their airspace, others allowed continuation to destination, and this was rolled out over a few days semi-randomly. Some flights completed or diverted (requiring a recovery ferry flight) while others returned to their departure airport. Fortunately no plane fell out of the sky!

32 minutes ago, sasset said:

On a side note I was watching PBS lastnight and one of the sponsors was American Airlines. The plane shown flying in the ad was a Max 8.

I received an emaiI from American stating that safety was their top priority...not saying that made it all go away, but just sharing what I received from them, as I fly to FLL near the end of April to board my TA.  My scheduled  plane is not the one grounded.  Still waiting for the analysis of the black boxes...I have seen so many articles about the Max 8 and how wonderful it is...

Edited by Lastdance