Minor update on Coco Cay

BillOh

59 minutes ago, nanowerx said:

They have a bar out in the ocean? Dope. Will definitely be hanging out there.

I love the way that looks but wonder what will happen when it fills up - will those standing on the bar be subject to those in the water grabbing their ankles to pull them off to make room to get on? 🙂  Kidding.....

1 hour ago, nanowerx said:

They have a bar out in the ocean? Dope. Will definitely be hanging out there.

We sat on the beach and watched as people froze their buns off while wading out to the bar.:classic_laugh: The water temp at Coco Cay was a bit on the chilly side, and with a 15mph breeze blowing, getting wet just to get a drink didn't make a lot of sense to us - maybe in May when its a bit warmer...

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, kccrzr said:

I saw some cabanas on the map drawing but it depicted loungers between the cabanas and the pool. It will be interesting to see if that is how they are actually constructed. 

If you look at the picture looking along the beach towards the west end of the island (just past the lifeguard umbrella), you can see some of the new beachside cabanas that are already in use. Shoreside staff were running shuttle carts out to there all day. I presume that area was for suite guests.

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

We sat on the beach and watched as people froze their buns off while wading out to the bar.:classic_laugh: The water temp at Coco Cay was a bit on the chilly side, and with a 15mph breeze blowing, getting wet just to get a drink didn't make a lot of sense to us - maybe in May when its a bit warmer...

LOL agreed!  

• Like 1

Uuuh, original estimates were September.  2018

[emoji1]

Even that was a revised estimate. Previous target had been June 2018, which would have been in time for our visit last summer. I don't think June was the original date either.

48 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

Even that was a revised estimate. Previous target had been June 2018, which would have been in time for our visit last summer. I don't think June was the original date either.

Construction job completion dates routinely change  - just try building a house. We know someone who had to wait an extra 5 months to move in. It's common, and planning any activities soon after a "finish date" always carries risk of disappointment.

Now relate this to a couple hundred million dollar project. Since the middle of last year...the estimated completion date was March 2019. As of October, it was pushed to May 2019. There was enough confidence in that date that they printed it on their 2019-2020 excursion brochure.

Now that the date is fast approaching, and great progress has been made...the worry-warts can rest easy.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Construction job completion dates routinely change  - just try building a house. We know someone who had to wait an extra 5 months to move in. It's common, and planning any activities soon after a "finish date" always carries risk of disappointment.

Now relate this to a couple hundred million dollar project. Since the middle of last year...the estimated completion date was March 2019. As of October, it was pushed to May 2019. There was enough confidence in that date that they printed it on their 2019-2020 excursion brochure.

Now that the date is fast approaching, and great progress has been made...the worry-warts can rest easy.

Ah yes, I can ALMOST laugh about our recent deck/ramp project now but it was supposed to be done late October - didn't start until November, they abandoned project after almost finishing all of deck (with no access to ground) in December - February it was finally complete after we hired and spent more $$$.  Sigh, thankfully though now it's been warm enough to enjoy and our dogs are loving the ramp to the yard!  But DH is in construction and we know rarely does anything finish on time - weather impacts so much too, as does labor availability, materials, etc.

• Like 1

For those of you who have been to Coco Cay before the pier opened, when we docked the wind was out of the east at 15-20 knots, and the seas were very choppy. In the past, those seas would have made tendering to the island at best a 50-50 chance (and a rocky ride to boot). We've been there several times in the past when those same sea conditions caused the captain to decide to skip the island. There was no way the construction crews could have done any work on the three remaining pier sections given that the waves were constantly crashing over all three - all day.

• 1 month later...

The over water cabanas are set to open up in December? I sail in January, they aren't listed in the cruise planner. Are they already snatched up or are they not available to reserve yet?

If the latter when would they start to pop up?

16 hours ago, bossdog421 said:

The over water cabanas are set to open up in December? I sail in January, they aren't listed in the cruise planner. Are they already snatched up or are they not available to reserve yet?

If the latter when would they start to pop up?

Also Sailing in Jan 2020- I imagine they will open up once they are confident in completion as per the other cabana categories that have been opening (Chill Island and Waterpark Cabanas were the first to appear and now South Beach Cabanas are showing). With December 2019 scheduled completion, who knows if they will actually be ready by Jan 2020. You can always reserve one category then cancel if they do open so as not to lose the cabana opportunity. Cheers!