Noise level on HAL

geocruiser

Hi,

I have not sailed HAL in a few years (we are three stars on HAL).  We have been sailing Princess lately.  But Princess's shows and music has become way too loud.  We were on Regal Princess last week and did not see one show because of the music volume.  Even with my DH's hearing aids out, he could not stand the music volume.  We are looking for a change.  Basely music not too loud and more than one place to sit in the cabin (two chairs/love seat)

So, my question is HAL's music too loud?  And how is the seating in the cabin outsides and balcony)

• Like 2

HAL ships are known for their more quiet and low-key atmospheres. This is changing on the larger ships, but the older smaller HAL ships are an oasis of retreat and quiet in most of their public spaces. There are some musici venues that get noise complaints as "too loud" but there are other options for evening entertainment that range from classical music is ballroom dance venues.  Or the quiet space libraries. 

Balcony cabins typically have a large sofa that can convert to a sofa bed and an armed desk chair, but again this is changing on the newer ships which have smaller balcony cabins. There are typically two loungers or deck chairs with foot stools on the balconies with  small table. 

The brand is changing fairly dramatically with  the introduction of larger ships so one will find significant differences on HAL ships today. Which one are you looking at.  Plus there are now various classes within the balcony staterooms  too - some larger than others on the ships as they start getting larger too. Various and confusing names I can never keep track of - but the devil is in the details when making any sort of general recommendation.  

We personally find the smaller older HAL ships very comfortable ..... and relatively quiet (except when sailing during the holidays - all bets are off then) Irony is the smaller older ships may mean one hears more ship noise than the larger brands that often remove passengers from the sensory experience of being at sea in a ship due to their decks upon decks of cabins well removed from the working side of a ship.

Edited by OlsSalt

Zuiderdam is a nice size ship.  We have sailed on her quite a few times.

The loud music is the BB King group and the Rolling Stone Rock Room.

The classical music and Ocean Bar music is still quiet and nice.  HAL is slowly doing away with production shows on all ships.

Cabins on this ship are larger and better seating.

6 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

The classical music and Ocean Bar music is still quiet and nice.  HAL is slowly doing away with production shows on all ships.

Thanks for the info.  Nice to see HAL has some quiet music.

56 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Funny that you mentioned the classical music. On a few HAL cruises I experienced "amplified" strings in the Explorers Lounge, and it really made me scratch my head in wonder.     

:classic_blink:

On Koningsdam , our most recent cruise, we found the music in the World Stage venue usually ok, I only put in my ear plugs once.   But on Veendam, the cruise ship we had prior I found the show lounge volume required ear plugs most of the time.  So it varies.  

I prefer a room with a couch, or at least a loveseat.  As far as I know all HAL balcony cabins have these.  I'm going to say that all OV rooms do also, but I'm sure that someone will find an odd-bod OV room that doesn't, so let's say they usually do.  Lanai cabins have a loveseat.  Oldest HAL ships - S class, of which there are only 2 left, Maasdam and Veendam, have Insides with couches.  The R class ships, Amsterdam, Volendam, Rotterdam, and Zaandam, have most Insides with couches, but may not the very smallest rooms, the Ns.  The Vista class ships - Noordam, Westerdam, Oosterdam and Zuiderdam - have couches in the Ks and some Js?, maybe some I categories, the one with the overlarge footprint on the ceck plans... but have to check for sure.  The newer ships - Signature class Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, and the Pinnacle class Koningsdam and Nieuw Staatendam have almost no insides with sitting areas although there are a very few Insides with a couch practically up against the long side of the bed, hardly useful except as a place to toss your shopping bags, but these are the ones marked for 3 people. 

Balconies I have seen have 1 lounge chair and 1 reclining chair, or 2 reclining chairs and 1 ottoman.  Maybe the oldest ships have 2 loungers on their very few balcony rooms, have to check.  

You can check these things by googling for sites that have HAL facts and photos of rooms on all the ships.  

I hope this helps more than muddles.  m--  

The BB King band on the Zuiderdam was a bit loud, but we always sit in the back, so it was not a  problem for us. 

Main Stage volume was fine for the performances we attended. 

I cannot report on volume at  other venues on board.  Being morning people by habit and nature, we turn into pumpkins at 9:00 p.m.

Our friends who loved the Billboard Lounge piano players had no complaints.  

There are very few  tannoy announcements on board HAL ships too - one short one in the morning and then a general announcement by the captain regarding state of the ship's navigation at noon - with a short follow-up by the cruise director of any notable activities for the rest of the day.

He (no she's yet) also lets you know if rough seas are ahead which allows one to plan accordingly if one takes anything for possible sea sickness. There may be a very occasional announcement if whales or dolphins are sighted ahead, or any other important sea going event.  Plus any emergency announcements,  and the crew drills notices which must take place from time to time on any ship. 

But there are no ongoing announcements encouraging people to attend various events or presentations - the daily printed schedule or the online Navigator is used by the passenger to keep tract of "what, when and where"

Edited by OlsSalt

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

So, my question is HAL's music too loud? 

Some of it is, absolutely. The show lounge is too loud across the board when the show has music involved. BB King's also is way too loud, even from down the passageway.
The Ocean Bar is better, as is Explorer's Lounge. The Mix (on the older ships) isn't bad for volume.

We once walked out of a BB King show (when they had it on the Rotterdam) and heard a few different folks talking while we were all waiting for the elevator.  One couple was complaining that the music was too loud and the other couple was complaining that it was not loud enough :).  We remember that evening because those two couple kept arguing in the elevator (too loud, too soft).  And that about sums up our experience on HAL.  Many older folks (and we are Seniors too) think that anything louder then a whisper is just too loud.  Others will tell you they can hardly hear anything (probably because they are partially deaf or their hearing aid battery is dead).  Just saying......

But if you do take a cruise on the Rotterdam...have no fear....because they no longer have any BB King Groups.  Another HAL cut-back.

Hank

P.S.  We have taken 4 cruises on the Regal Princess and never had an issue with the show volume being too loud :).

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We once walked out of a BB King show (when they had it on the Rotterdam) and heard a few different folks talking while we were all waiting for the elevator.  One couple was complaining that the music was too loud and the other couple was complaining that it was not loud enough :).  And that about sums up our experience on HAL.  Many older folks (and we are Seniors too) think that anything louder then a whisper is just too loud.  Others will tell you they can hardly hear anything (probably because they are partially deaf or their hearing aid battery is dead).  Just saying......

But if you do take a cruise on the Rotterdam...have no fear....because they no longer have any BB King Groups.  Another HAL cut-back.

Hank

Just cruise on Zuiderdam and the music coming from the "American test kitchen" I think if was the bb king band was so loud my ears hurt just walking by the place.  The fact that there are no more bb king on our next cruise -Rotterdam is literally music to my ears!!!   Now if we could just go back to the three violins playing in the explorers lounge I will be a happy person!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hflors said:

Just cruise on Zuiderdam and the music coming from the "American test kitchen" I think if was the bb king band was so loud my ears hurt just walking by the place.  The fact that there are no more bb king on our next cruise -Rotterdam is literally music to my ears!!!   Now if we could just go back to the three violins playing in the explorers lounge I will be a happy person!!

You might be lucky to get 1 violin :(.  The way cruise lines (including HAL) are cutting-back I assume they will soon find a way to entertain us with a 2 string violin  (2 strings are cheaper then 4?).  What ever happened to those Rosario Strings?

Hank

4 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Hi,

I have not sailed HAL in a few years (we are three stars on HAL).  We have been sailing Princess lately.  But Princess's shows and music has become way too loud.  We were on Regal Princess last week and did not see one show because of the music volume.  Even with my DH's hearing aids out, he could not stand the music volume.  We are looking for a change.  Basely music not too loud and more than one place to sit in the cabin (two chairs/love seat)

So, my question is HAL's music too loud?  And how is the seating in the cabin outsides and balcony)

Since hearing and hearing aids are  as personal an issue as one can get please consider asking on the Disabled Travel board.  There are many factors that are involved in hearing aids and hearing loss, imho you need the experiences of people who use hearing aids.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Thanks for the info.  Nice to see HAL has some quiet music.

Just to correct the info you received, Zuiderdam does not have a Rolling Stones Rock Room. That feature, for the time being, is only found on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam. You will find the B.B. Kings All-stars on Zuidy and they are great, definitely worth a nightly visit!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

You might be lucky to get 1 violin :(.  The way cruise lines (including HAL) are cutting-back I assume they will soon find a way to entertain us with a 2 string violin  (2 strings are cheaper then 4?).  What ever happened to those Rosario Strings?

Hank

It is so sad that all the wonderful classical music is fading away.  Any day now I expect to see a dj sitting in the explorers lounge taking requests for what pipped in music people want to hear.

7 minutes ago, Hflors said:

It is so sad that all the wonderful classical music is fading away.  Any day now I expect to see a dj sitting in the explorers lounge taking requests for what pipped in music people want to hear.

You have heard about the Lincoln Center Stage classical musicians, right? Found playing nightly on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

The string quartet got replaced with a violin piano duo several years ago, and they were often fantastic. But sometimes, not so great. Some knew how to perform; others knew simply how to play.  So cut backs to one violin only? Don't think so.   Sounds like it has been a long time since you were actually on a HAL ship if you are still wondering what happened to the "Rosario Strings". 

But this recent addition of "Lincoln Center Stage" offers a larger group of strings for both classical and mainstream pieces, and like many aspects now it does differ from ship to ship. 

Edited by OlsSalt

29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Giving out bunk info again, Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

P.S.  We have taken 4 cruises on the Regal Princess and never had an issue with the show volume being too loud :).

Hank,

I have sailed Regal Princess 13 times.  This past cruise was too loud for us. The rest of the Regal cruises was just bearable for me, if I used ear plugs.  The atrium also has gotten louder too.  This loud issue and lack of two chair in balcony cabins has us looking again at different lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VennDiagram said:

Since hearing and hearing aids are  as personal an issue as one can get please consider asking on the Disabled Travel board.  There are many factors that are involved in hearing aids and hearing loss, imho you need the experiences of people who use hearing aids.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

Will check it out.  But it was too loud for my DH with out his hearing aids in.

14 hours ago, RuthC said:

Some of it is, absolutely. The show lounge is too loud across the board when the show has music involved. BB King's also is way too loud, even from down the passageway.
The Ocean Bar is better, as is Explorer's Lounge. The Mix (on the older ships) isn't bad for volume.

Thanks Ruth.  I just don't understand why they think loud is better.  As least there are some quieter spots on board.  We just have some planning to do now.