Breeze Vs Magic - Brand new cruiser

Sersee

Hi!  This will be our very first cruise. We have my husband and I, 23, 21, 17 and a 14 year old.  My kids won't go to the "kids clubs" and will prefer the arcade , shows, eating and just hanging out. I am a hotel snob if it helps to recommend a ship lol.  People keep telling me that Carnival ships aren't great and I should go to Royal. But for the price, Carnival seems to work better and I also heard they had good food as well as awesome with food allergies . So I am ignoring all the naysayers.lol

Im down to the Carnival Magic and the Breeze. We will be getting two rooms. I am so clueless! I have no idea what to do at port! Magic  goes to half moon cay, grand turk and amber cove. Breeze goes to amber, st thomas, grand turk and san juan.

Which ship would you choose? Im ok with the ports, but again I don't know much. Any help would be appreciated!!

We have been on both  and  we liked the Breeze better,  not sure why  but we did LOL,    These friends that are telling you carnival isnt great and to only do Royal....  Have they cruised Carnival ?  I cant give my opinion as I have only ever done Carnival except for one NCL.  My sister and brother have done every cruise line (many times each),  and they say each is great in its own way.   They both agree Carnival has the better food.

AS for ports  they are all great !!   Again I would choose the Breeze itinerary.   I love San Juan and St. Thomas.  Check out the port of calls here on this board. Many great ideas. 

Edited by hockeyluver
  • Like 1

The ships are pretty much the same. Go to the Carnival website and you can do a side-by-side comparison of both ships under the Explore>Our Ships option. You might want to base your decision on what you want to do at the ports. Start looking at possible excursions at each port to see if any stand out.

All of the ports you mention are great. The Breeze does go to one extra port though. And while Half Moon Cay is my favorite port, it is a water shuttle port (there is no dock) so sometimes it’s missed due to not being able to use the water shuttles. Which would be very disappointing on a first cruise. For this reason, I might lean towards the Breeze itinerary for your first cruise. 

• Like 1

Both ships are pretty similar.  I think the breeze has the thrill theater and the magic doesn't.   We did the breeze a few years ago and enjoyed it.  We will be on the magic in 2 weeks so i will see how we like it.  

Normally I would choose the one with more island stops.  But for this cruise it depends if you would want to go to San Juan since its probably not a beach day for a cruise stop.   We walked to the forts but I know that doesn't interest everyone.  Another thing to consider is the time of year you are going.  Half Moon Cay is awesome but its the bahamas and not as warm as St. Thomas in the winter months.   

• Like 2

I like Breeze better, as I think it's a prettier ship.  I also like the 4 port itinerary with no tender ports.  Of course, some people prefer more sea days, so there's that for the Magic itinerary.  Be sure to walk down the beach to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk.

• Like 1

I would pick Magic, but it is my favorite Carnival ship so I am biased. It was the last Carnival ship designed with any character before what I think is very boring designs starting with Breeze and continued in the Vista class ships.  Having said this, I don’t think you can go wrong with either ship. Dream class ships are the best designed of Carnival’s ships in my opinion. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hockeyluver said:

We have been on both  and  we liked the Breeze better,  not sure why  but we did LOL,    These friends that are telling you carnival isnt great and to only do Royal....  Have they cruised Carnival ?  I cant give my opinion as I have only ever done Carnival except for one NCL.  My sister and brother have done every cruise line (many times each),  and they say each is great in its own way.   They both agree Carnival has the better food.

AS for ports  they are all great !!   Again I would choose the Breeze itinerary.   I love San Juan and St. Thomas.  Check out the port of calls here on this board. Many great ideas. 

They have been before. They tell me Carnival is the “Walmart “ and Royal is the “Target”. They keep telling me how they are party cruises. So it made me nervous. I have never ever been so I have no idea! This is why I can’t here to you wonderful knowledgeable people

to help make me feel better😂

1 hour ago, brookeq said:

Both ships are pretty similar.  I think the breeze has the thrill theater and the magic doesn't.   We did the breeze a few years ago and enjoyed it.  We will be on the magic in 2 weeks so i will see how we like it.  

Normally I would choose the one with more island stops.  But for this cruise it depends if you would want to go to San Juan since its probably not a beach day for a cruise stop.   We walked to the forts but I know that doesn't interest everyone.  Another thing to consider is the time of year you are going.  Half Moon Cay is awesome but its the bahamas and not as warm as St. Thomas in the winter months.   

We will go at the end of July. I actually know someone in San Juan... so I would have my own personal tour guide lol

1 hour ago, dmdiver said:

I like Breeze better, as I think it's a prettier ship.  I also like the 4 port itinerary with no tender ports.  Of course, some people prefer more sea days, so there's that for the Magic itinerary.  Be sure to walk down the beach to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk.

I’m a resort snob and like new and pretty.  What is a tender port if you don’t mind?  My husband is more into the ports and seeing different places . I’m more into the ship. He won’t want to sit on a beach every port. 

I was just reading about Grand Turk! How far is Jacks Shack?  Do you got accosted by the locals at all the ports? I also have to consider my sons food allergy... which I heard Carnival is amazing. Disney is the tops for allergies but they are just to expensive

You mentioned that you are a hotel/resort snob. I'm assuming you're talking hotels the likes of Four Seasons/Rosewood/Ritz-Carlton. If these are your preferences, then Royal Caribbean and Carnival are probably not going to be to your liking. The shorter cruises (3/4/5 day) on both lines definitely see more people at the bars than the week long (7/8 day) cruises. I've cruised both these lines many, many times and can tell you that both lines, and both of your ship choices, are nice experiences for week long cruises.

• Like 1

I should probably expand on my hotel snobbery. Motel 8 definitely not happening.  But I just Like shiny ,new and pretty. I like Renaissance and Marriots.  I like some Hilton’s. I’m a deluxe resort person at Disney. I will stay at a Hampton if it’s very clean.I think I am more about being updated and clean. I’m ok if the cruise is not dated  or dirty. I’m definitely looking  for a 7 night and not a party cruise 

Edited by Sersee

4 minutes ago, Sersee said:

I like Renaissance and Marriots.  I like some Hilton’s.

Then you should be fine. These ships are kept shiny and clean. People have different interpretations for "party". If someone is talking about a bunch of people standing around a bar with drinks in their hands, laughing, then that's going to happen on all ships. Happens on Royal, Carnival up to the high end lines like Cunard, Seabourn and Azumara.  If the ship is "hopping", you see people having a good time, singing and drinking in the piano bars. That's really the extent of the parties.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sersee said:

I’m a resort snob and like new and pretty.  What is a tender port if you don’t mind?  My husband is more into the ports and seeing different places . I’m more into the ship. He won’t want to sit on a beach every port. 

I was just reading about Grand Turk! How far is Jacks Shack?  Do you got accosted by the locals at all the ports? I also have to consider my sons food allergy... which I heard Carnival is amazing. Disney is the tops for allergies but they are just to expensive

I see someone else answered the tender question.  As far as Jack's - seems it took 10-15 minutes to walk down the beach from the ship.  Walking back took a little longer simply because we were tired & may have had a few adult beverages - maybe 20 minutes.  Some people rent golf carts to toodle around the island and then stop at Jack's.  Others take a cab.  On the way to Jack's, there are people wanting to rent loungers/umbrellas on the beach, but it doesn't seem to be as big a problem there as when you go to Cozumel.  Grand Turk has gorgeous water & the beach at Jack's is a nice easy entry without a lot of rocks.  The owners also have 2 dogs - Topher & Calypso that play on the beach.  We found the beach area by the ship to be pretty rocky in the water.  I know a lot of people just go to Margaritaville there by the ship, but Jack's is more quiet & not so crowded.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sersee said:

If you are indeed a resort snob, you would likely be happier on Disney or RCCL newer ships. Their ships definitely have the wow factor that is lacking on Carnival ships. However, if you want to go on a cruise to have fun, where there are activities going on from early in the morning until late at night, where people start drinking at 8 AM in the morning (it’s alwaya 5 somewhere), and where most people are social and outgoing, I would cruise on Carnival. 

• Like 1

We've  been on both and while they are sister ships, I preferred Breeze for some reason. We are returning to her in April, as a matter of fact. 🙂  

Also, we cruise RCCL (we are one cruise away from being Diamond here) and NCL, as well, and there's not two cents worth of difference in the cruise experience. RCCL does have nicer ships, but how long can you walk around ooohing and aaahing over a big ship? It turns out for us, not very long. We prefer the larger rooms on Carnival and their food has always been better on Carnival. Shows are substantially better on RCCL and NCL, but we only go to maybe 2 of those. For the price, Carnival and NCL beats RCCL all day, in our opinions. But, of course, everyone has one of those and YMMV.  

You'll have a great time. Happy Cruising. 

• Like 2

Sounds like you are an elitist with elitist friends. I can see the complaints right now of all of the ways you dislike Carnival. 

Royal offers a fantastic product too. If you like grand ships, they can't be beat. However, who actually uses all of the stuff it offers? Some do. Some just like the way certain things make them "feel". They are also usually higher on the price scale, and very limited on ports they can visit.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Sounds like you are an elitist with elitist friends. I can see the complaints right now of all of the ways you dislike Carnival. 

Royal offers a fantastic product too. If you like grand ships, they can't be beat. However, who actually uses all of the stuff it offers? Some do. Some just like the way certain things make them "feel". They are also usually higher on the price scale, and very limited on ports they can visit.

Nope not an elitist at all. I just don’t like run down or dirty. It’s pretty simple.  Some people just use hotels to lay their head. For me the resort is part of the vacation experience so I will get the nicest room in my price range. Since you don’t know me, I will explain to you that you would never hear me complaining . I just like to do my research before I go. 

I don’t know if people use all the stuff on the bigger ships... which is why I am asking about Carnival. I know Royal has a lot to do on their ships. Do people use all that stuff?  Does being on a bigger ship make you feel less like youbare in the middle of the ocean? One of my kids is a little nervous about going.

As I have never been On a cruise , I have to go by what I hear from people. The majority of people have told me negative things about Carnival. They tell me it’s a discount cruise with mostly young adults partying and not very family friendly. So in my head I am picturing a spring break kind of atmosphere which I don’t want. I also don’t want to pick a ship with nothing to do for my teen kids.  I have also talked to a few that tell me they love Carnival and the food is better than Disney’s. I have been told if I go on a longer cruise with Carnival ... it is more families. 

I just wanted to see which ship would work best for my family. We have no idea what to expect. I don’t know what to expect at the ports either.  Excursions seem expensive so do you just choose one or two ? My husband wants to see the different places so he is looking forward to it and not be just  sitting on a beach at each port(Although Ineould be fine with that!) 

1 hour ago, Kristi Williamson said:

We've  been on both and while they are sister ships, I preferred Breeze for some reason. We are returning to her in April, as a matter of fact. 🙂  

Also, we cruise RCCL (we are one cruise away from being Diamond here) and NCL, as well, and there's not two cents worth of difference in the cruise experience. RCCL does have nicer ships, but how long can you walk around ooohing and aaahing over a big ship? It turns out for us, not very long. We prefer the larger rooms on Carnival and their food has always been better on Carnival. Shows are substantially better on RCCL and NCL, but we only go to maybe 2 of those. For the price, Carnival and NCL beats RCCL all day, in our opinions. But, of course, everyone has one of those and YMMV.  

You'll have a great time. Happy Cruising. 

Thank you!!  That makes sense to me about the bigger ships. Do you think it feels less  crowded on The Breeze than the Magic? Is it the same?