Laundry question!

Dreamcruise27

How is the quality of laundry services on the ships? I am assuming that there will most likely be a "fill a bag" laundry special on our 12 nights/10 nights B2B cruise. Did any of the things you sent to be washed come back not in the same condition? IE. Did it shrink? Turn pink? Items go missing/mixed up? Please share your experiences and suggestions!

I can't risk any of my clothes shrinking because I'm assuming after the first cruise everything will already be tighter for the second one LOL!

Edited by Dreamcruise27

We only send to the laundry items we would put in a general mixed wash and tumble at home. 

Things I would normally hand wash or put on a delicates wash at home I will (if necessary) hand wash on a cruise or have dry cleaned.

Using this general rule we have never had things damaged.

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

We only send to the laundry items we would put in a general mixed wash and tumble at home. 

Things I would normally hand wash or put on a delicates wash at home I will (if necessary) hand wash on a cruise or have dry cleaned.

Using this general rule we have never had things damaged.

32 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We had one item damaged a number of years ago, and Celebrity guest relations promptly paid us the cost of the shirt.  We have not had shrinkage problems, but we travel with easy care clothing.  Any "fussy" item is left at home.

That's how travel lite. Using the free ElitePlus laundry and bring travel/easycare cloths.

Our last cruise was a 16 night Panama Canal and we had two bags of laundry done.  We wrote on the bag "cold water only" and were very happy with how everything was returned.  There were items returned on a hanger even that I thought would just come back folded.  Having said that, we didn't send anything away that we would actually worry about - mostly work out clothes, pj's, wash and wear type stuff.

Generally the laundry service is very good. That being said, every so often a couple of items have gotten a tiny hole in them which we did not discover until we returned home. Nothing has ever faded or shrunk. Also, they label most individual items (shirts, undershirts, pants, etc) with iron on tape and the room number. Don't forget forget to look for the tape and remove it before wearing the item or it will feel scratchy against the skin.

37 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

Generally the laundry service is very good. That being said, every so often a couple of items have gotten a tiny hole in them which we did not discover until we returned home. Nothing has ever faded or shrunk. Also, they label most individual items (shirts, undershirts, pants, etc) with iron on tape and the room number. Don't forget forget to look for the tape and remove it before wearing the item or it will feel scratchy against the skin.

I'm constantly pealing them off month's after a cruise.    As a matter of fact last week I felt a scratchy feeling on the collar of a dress shirt and removed it with a chuckle. 

We do lot's of laundry while on board since we get free laundry with our status.  Some of my new 100% cotton T-Shirts shrink a little but I believe they would do the same if I washed them for the first time at home.   Once in awhile I get dress shirts and Tux shirts back with a not too good job of ironing.   I just send them back and they re-do them without a problem.

It's good to see this. I'm assuming for a TA or other long-duration cruise that a simple "fill a bag" isn't really going to to cut, and that I'll have to make use of the "real" laundry service since I only intend to pack about 10 days' clothing for our 14-night sailing. That clothing will be varied, too, since it will need to cover hot August weather in NJ and northeastern US through cooler Canadian / Icelandic / Ireland temps. Layers and more layers!

As someone with no status yet in Captain's Club, how much should I budget for laundry service for my family of four (one guy and three women)?

18 hours ago, Aralim said:

It's good to see this. I'm assuming for a TA or other long-duration cruise that a simple "fill a bag" isn't really going to to cut, and that I'll have to make use of the "real" laundry service since I only intend to pack about 10 days' clothing for our 14-night sailing. That clothing will be varied, too, since it will need to cover hot August weather in NJ and northeastern US through cooler Canadian / Icelandic / Ireland temps. Layers and more layers!

As someone with no status yet in Captain's Club, how much should I budget for laundry service for my family of four (one guy and three women)?

This may help you estimate.    Without free bags the Bag of Laundry usually goes for $49 but often have a sale midway through cruise.

534547554_laundrylist.thumb.jpg.5fdf6010c1091a5b5cfb46b7010fa33e.jpg

• Thanks 1

We  usually have no problem with the laundry onboard.  Sometimes things are more wrinkled than you might like, but we have never found it a real problem.  We’re just happy to have the clean laundry and have it included with our Elite+ perks.  On a cruise a few years ago while traveling with another couple (a 53 day cruise) we found that for some reason our laundry on 2 of the segments was REALLY wrinkled.  Our friend showed us her husband’s handkerchief that came back wadded up like a ball!  We dubbed that trip our “Wash and Wade Cruise”.  We still laugh about it.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This may help you estimate.    Without free bags the Bag of Laundry usually goes for $49 but often have a sale midway through cruise.

Thanks Jim! Prices actually look about the same as I remember on Royal. I’ve saved the email I got with this reply, will be sure to reference it as cruise day gets closer!

We send a bag of laundry every day. It's one of my chores on a cruise. 

I write 'No starch' as a general instruction. Also, for my sports shirts I write 'Please do not tumble dry'.

If something comes back damaged, I go through the Michael's Club concierge and seek recompense.

If something comes back with wrinkles, I deal with our butler. 

I do ask that my boxers are ironed.

What I do hate is chasing laundry! If we need to be out of our room by 17:30 then we need the clothes delivered on time. I have been known to growl on such occasions!