Equinox LIVE Solo Review March 23-30, 2019

GenerationX

19 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Okay...you want to cruise with "Lola"...I want to cruise with the girl who has three stuffed suitcases for a week-long cruise...and still needs to shop!!!

Ha!  I know it’s a bit excessive. When Jeremy was loading my bags in the car yesterday he asked if I was REALLY only going away for 7 days or if this was my way of leaving him without a confrontation. 😂

I tend to go through 2-3 outfit changes per day (don’t judge me) and I have to pack clothes that look good on my body after pre-vacation dieting AND then a separate set of clothes that fit well after spending a week eating and drinking ALL.THE. THINGS.

Luckily for our 3 weeks in Austraila and New Zealand in November, we’ll have free laundry service on the ship so I don’t have to take 6 suitcases!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Ha!  I know it’s a bit excessive. When Jeremy was loading my bags in the car yesterday he asked if I was REALLY only going away for 7 days or if this was my way of leaving him without a confrontation. 😂

I tend to go through 2-3 outfit changes per day (don’t judge me) and I have to pack clothes that look good on my body after pre-vacation dieting AND then a separate set of clothes that fit well after spending a week eating and drinking ALL.THE. THINGS.

Luckily for our 3 weeks in Austraila and New Zealand in November, we’ll have free laundry service on the ship so I don’t have to take 6 suitcases!

I hear you!  I also have a minimum of three changes per day...not including work out clothes.  It’s so much easier on Princess with the self serve laundromat on each deck.

i see Equinox on the webcam...so exciting.  If you run into BugNaked, tell her happy belated birthday from Lola.  I am disappointed that I will miss Captain Kate and Bug on both Edge and Equinox.

Have a great trip.

Susan

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 1

I am onboard!  I arrived at the port at 11:15 and heard the delightful “ding” of my seapass and had a welcome aboard drink in my hand by 11:35.

I’ve gotten used to the speedy suites check in and was worried about the wait in lines, but it turned out that leveling up to select on my last cruise paid off big time.

While the check in lines for general boarding and Aqua/concierge priority boarding were at least 15 minutes long, there was only one couple ahead of me in the line for Select and Elite.  

I’m currently enjoying my first of many poolside Miami Vices for this week.

Once I finish I’m going to see if the shops are open.  My sunglasses broke this morning and with all the sunny weather forecast for this week, going without is not an option!

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

• Like 6

I was very worried about the loss of Luminae lunch and having to go back to fighting the hectic buffet and long Mast Grill lines for lunch on embarkation day.

However I was pleased to find that Sushi on 5 was open for lunch and offering a $20 all you can eat price.  Since I missed breakfast, have OBC to spend and won’t be eating dinner until 9pm today, I decided to treat myself to a big lunch.

It was 12:15 when I got to the restaurant and I was literally the only customer.  So service was VERY quick and attentive.  As it got closer to 1pm a few more tables were seated, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Celebrity made the call at some point to drop this embarkation day lunch option due to lack of interest.

I ordered the miso soup and chicken gyoza as well as a shrimp tempura roll and the pork ramen.

I washed it all down with a Kanpai cocktail followed by a glass of champagne.  Fair warning: the Kanpai is STRONG.  If you’re a Manhattan or Old Fashined drinker, you’ll probably like it.  I enjoyed but let’s just say it’s a good thing I don’t have to drive anywhere today...or for the next week!!!

The gyoza was a let down.  The meat inside was bland and the wrapper seemed like it dried out.  Normally at Sushi on 5 Jeremy and I get the seafood wontons for our appetizer. I tried this one to break from the mold.  In the future I will cheerfully go back to the seafood wontons.

Next came the pork ramen... ooooohhhh the pork ramen.  If you followed my Infinity review in December, you already know this is my favorite dish in all of Celebrity cruises (and I’m an admitted Murano lobster addict).  It was just as fantastic as it has always been.  The pork was sweet and smoky, the broth rich and full of umami. The egg and ramen noodles perfectly cooked. If I didn’t still have a sushi roll coming and wasn’t concerned about making a bad first impression, I probably would’ve eaten the whole thing and  licked the bowl.

As my server was pouring me a second glass of Chandon (which I hadn’t asked for, but with the beverage package wasn’t going to say no to either) the announcement came out that staterooms were ready.

Time to check out this aft view!

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

0A1D846D-ECCF-4C9C-BF3A-F75D8D4962CD.jpeg

• Like 1

Ohhh that pork ramen!  I will forever be in your debt for introducing me to that luscious DISH! Also my favorite. My mouth is watering now.  It’s almost in describable!

I hope you enjoy the aft view as much as we do! It’s a real treat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I’ve gotten used to the speedy suites check in and was worried about the wait in lines, but it turned out that leveling up to select on my last cruise paid off big time.

While the check in lines for general boarding and Aqua/concierge priority boarding were at least 15 minutes long, there was only one couple ahead of me in the line for Select and Elite.

Quick question if I may... I'm Select based on my points and status with Royal Caribbean, but I'm in an Aqua Class cabin on my first Celebrity cruise in Feb. Will I be allowed to use the Select line or will I have to use the Aqua Class one?

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I am onboard!  I arrived at the port at 11:15 and heard the delightful “ding” of my seapass and had a welcome aboard drink in my hand by 11:35.

Once I finish I’m going to see if the shops are open.  My sunglasses broke this morning and with all the sunny weather forecast for this week, going without is not an option!

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

That Miami Vice looks like something I'll have to try when we sail in June!  Enjoying your review!

29 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Quick question if I may... I'm Select based on my points and status with Royal Caribbean, but I'm in an Aqua Class cabin on my first Celebrity cruise in Feb. Will I be allowed to use the Select line or will I have to use the Aqua Class one?

There is reciprocity between the two lines. For example, we entered Celebrity as Emerald members on RC and they recognized us as Select.  Attached is the chart from their website. Happy sailing!

72A6323B-1321-4F0F-86BC-8CA32443AA32.png

Just now, Blazn7 said:

There is reciprocity between the two lines. For example, we entered Celebrity as Emerald members on RC and they recognized us as Select.  Attached is the chart from their website. Happy sailing!

72A6323B-1321-4F0F-86BC-8CA32443AA32.png

I know that. But because the OP said there was a line for Aqua and a separate line for Select and Elite I was not sure if I have to go to the Aqua line or if I can go to the Select line.

Oh I hope you love it as much as we do!  We met OP and her DH on CC.  We sail 4/13 and I’m just about ready to start packing lol. OP does a great job with her live review.  I think you’ll enjoy her commentary and pix - and stellar food and drink descriptions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to following along, as I was reading I recognized your names and foto, I enjoyed your last review.

I hope this cruise is rejuvenating. Probably better your friend backed out, now you can focus on yourself.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I know that. But because the OP said there was a line for Aqua and a separate line for Select and Elite I was not sure if I have to go to the Aqua line or if I can go to the Select line.

Go to the shortest one that you qualify for. AQ will usually be called to board ahead of Select...usually it's Elite and AQ, but everytime it's a bit different...Here it seems Elite and Select were combined...but once you check in the order of groups called may vary .,...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Go to the shortest one that you qualify for. AQ will usually be called to board ahead of Select...usually it's Elite and AQ, but everytime it's a bit different...Here it seems Elite and Select were combined...but once you check in the order of groups called may vary .,...

Gotcha. Thanks!

5 hours ago, GenerationX said:

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

I'm really enjoying your review.  Thank you for taking the time to share with us.  You look so relaxed (love the hat!).  Rather than condensation I think that might be stress dripping off your Vice! 

Hoping this vacation brings you all the stress relieving and rejuvenation you need and deserve.

• Like 2

A stateroom update:  After lunch I went down to my room (6310) a sunset veranda.

I was used to suite class where my bags were already waiting for me when I arrived, but this time the hallways were bare.  Fortunately by the time I’d unpacked my carryon, all 3 of my suitcases were delivered!  I met my stateroom attendant Su (I asked him how life was as a “Boy Named Sue”.  He didn’t get the joke.  Somethings don’t translate I guess) and got mostly unpacked before muster drill.

I defintiely noticed the downsize in cabin and storage space from sky suites, but sailing solo it’s really not that big a deal. If Jeremy also had fit his clothes and toiletries in, it might have been much more of an adjustment.

In December on Infinity there was no James Bond video presentation at muster but it was back for this sailing.  My muster was in Tuscan Grill and it seemed like they had enough chairs for everyone who wanted to sit down for the drill.

Our sail away was delayed but I spent the extra time getting to know some of my fellow passengers including a few CC folks! In fact, I have to wrap up this report since I have plans to meet Cruizinggirl for a solo lady cruisers glass of wine before my dinner in Murano tonight!

I’ll check in again soon!

image1.jpeg

B7FF262D-B3C1-4C9D-8EA9-2495F2BE7859.jpeg

EE874794-B802-4AD0-8442-7FF9F8DA138A.jpeg

• Like 3

I hope you love your SV as much as I do.  First was on Solstice a few years ago...and will be on my upcoming cruises including Edge and Equinox (8344) next year.  You can’t beat the views 😎.  I also appreciate the extra steps to the aft of the ship...works off all the yummy goodies.

Edited by lola2013
  • Like 2