Equinox LIVE Solo Review March 23-30, 2019

GenerationX

Good morning, from Key West!  

Does anyone know how to say “hungover” in French?  Wait, I’m getting ahead of myself.  First let me report on dinner in Murano last night:

The chef’s palette cleanser was a chilled pear soup with bacon and bleu cheese.

For my appetizer I had the braised pork belly and then had the Dover sole Veronique for the main course.

The pork belly had good flavor but it was WAY over cooked.  The meat was slightly dry (which it takes a while to get to when cooking pork) and the crispy skin that, in my opinion, makes a pork belly entree was so hard I couldn’t even cut through it with a steak knife.

The Dover sole was very good.  As has become my practice with Celebrity, I asked for the sauce on the side rather than poured over the fish.  It’s been a rare occurrence for me for any of the sauces to actually add to the flavor of the meat and once again I found this to be true.

Normally at Murano I get the lobster and Jeremy gets the duck and we share.  I don’t think the sole really beat out either of those dishes for me, but it was a very good, much lighter, option!

The restaurant manager and somolier both made a point of checking on me several times and I ended up having a nice conversation with a couple from LA siting at the table next to mine during most of my first course.  So far, solo specialty dining hasn’t left me feeling awkward at all.

I ordered a pre-dessert espresso and it came with a little plate of sweets.  My first thought on seeing it was “I don’t need these sweets with a cheese course and dessert still coming!”  My second thought was “OMG is that a tiny little macaroon and a piece of dark chocolate?  Yes please!!!”

For dessert I had the Grand Marnier soufflé. When it came to the table I had a National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation moment and thought “if this tastes half as good as it looks, I’m in for a REAL treat.”  And what a treat it was.

I was decently full after that, but there’s only so many times in life that an American girl with a mortgage and student loan debt is going to be offered a cheese cart, so I decided to indulge in a couple of small pieces.

After dinner I had a couple of cocktails in the Ensemble Lounge listening to the Equinox Orchestra and Starlight Duo.

Next report: Late Night on the Equinox (aka why Charla would sell her soul for an ice cold Sprite and a Tylenol this morning).

F4C63A86-7112-40C5-A053-1F720AFA18D5.jpeg

A9B5E025-3339-40B1-B30F-AD0DBCBA4D7B.jpeg

25247642-EAA9-4310-863E-09E86AE7822B.jpeg

84D15539-47BF-44ED-8E04-AA30EC54A0A6.jpeg

0F9D3963-4A92-4671-BF5C-4D3091EF9C6D.jpeg

435824E9-AD4C-4CA0-B7C5-8210DE8C4396.jpeg

C3EBDBEC-0722-46B7-B818-A6945CF912A1.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 2

That dinner looks amazing......will definitely book dinner in Murano on our next cruise. We had lunch there in February while on the Equinox and it was superb.

Contine to enjoy.....time goes quickly when you are having fun, hope you get to wear those three cases of clothes😘

• Like 1

After the music wrapped up in Ensemble, I followed a nice couple I met there to the late night party in Quasar where we all quickly became friends with some fantastic ladies on a high school reunion cruise and a group of 20-something French Canadians. Over several grey goose and cranberry’s I actually got to put my one semester of college French to good use!  After the third such cocktail, the ladies convinced me to hit the dance floor and next thing I knew it was 3am and the DJ was kicking us out! 

Apparently he was supposed to stop at 2:30, but didn’t want to disappoint the large group of girls sweating it up to Pharrell.

I stumbled back to my stateroom, put out the do not disturb sign and was asleep before my head hit the pillow. 

It was a great night!

DDF5CD76-1FAA-4A26-8C67-414D5C630E8A.jpeg

8E066F12-3331-40E3-A5E6-8C6DB6D923A3.jpeg

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 1

I originally planned to be up and dressed in time for breakfast in the main dining room, but thanks to my 3am fun in Quasar, I didn’t rejoin the land of the living until well after 9, which meant breakfast in the buffet.  It was a  MADHOUSE.  It took me a good 10 minutes to find a seat by which time my food had gotten to room temp, but I was so desperate to get something in my stomach other than vodka, I scarfed it down.

Lesson learned: either remember to put out my room service hangtag before going to dinner or get my lazy butt out of bed on time! It’s not that hard to be a responsible adult, Charla!

There seemed to be plenty of drink servers going round. Within a couple of minutes of getting seated to eat I had hot coffee, 2 much needed bottles of water and a mimosa (hair of the dog, you know?)

Having a recovery Bloody Mary by the pool before I head into port to do a little shopping.

904379DE-9C42-4B85-83B5-A5F646519389.jpeg

57727D09-AA8B-4CBF-8AFA-9520F3DF5E29.jpeg

• Like 3

Sorry I missed you at the  Ensemble Lounge last night after dinner, Charla. 

I walked thru, didn’t see you and decided I’d been solo in public for too long. 

My experience in main dining as a solo cruiser was tasty, but uncomfortable. Although I was at a table for 8 - it was a table for 1. No one else arrived at the table. Dinner (Crab Louie and perfectly cooked prime rib)  was great, and my Kindle was excellent company. 

I had checked with the matre d prior to sail away regarding location and size of table (my request was a table for 10)  and had been assured I wouldn’t be alone.  (Yes, I was skeptible  but optimistic)

After my solo dinner the maitre d assured me he would work on moving me. . .  but I haven’t heard from him yet. 

It’s quite a different mindset experience when you know you will be alone (at a small table) versus being seated in a huge venue at a large  table by yourself.

Fortunately the sommelier kept my glass full!  

Remaining optomistic for tonight! 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cruizinggirl said:

My experience in main dining as a solo cruiser was tasty, but uncomfortable. Although I was at a table for 8 - it was a table for 1. No one else arrived at the table. Dinner (Crab Louie and perfectly cooked prime rib)  was great, and my Kindle was excellent company. 

I had checked with the matre d prior to sail away regarding location and size of table (my request was a table for 10)  and had been assured I wouldn’t be alone.  (Yes, I was skeptible  but optimistic)

After my solo dinner the maitre d assured me he would work on moving me. . .  but I haven’t heard from him yet. 

It’s quite a different mindset experience when you know you will be alone (at a small table) versus being seated in a huge venue at a large  table by yourself.

I am sorry to hear this.

Have never found this myself, but always do select dining and just ask for a sharing table. First night there are a couple of reasons people don't turn up to set dining tables. Tierd from travelling and doing room service/buffet, also speciality restaurants do special offers on first night.

Fingers crossed this evening goes better for you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruizinggirl said:

I am so sorry to hear this MJ!  Especially after you were assure it wouldn’t happen!  I hope tonight goes better.  I am eating at Silk Harvest at 8:30.  Would you like to reattemp our pre-dinner glass of wine at the gastrobar at 8?

It was a lovely day in Key West today. There was a light rain shower in the morning and clouds off and on after; but the temperature was great for walking around town.

I went to a spice shop near the train depot to stock up on some key west seafood spice that DH and I got on our December cruise then bought a few souvenirs.  Our house has a big covered side porch and everywhere I travel I try to buy a wind chime to hang on the porch.  Last time we were in Key West I couldn’t find one I liked but this time I was in luck!

After shopping I went to Willie T’s for live music,  a rum runner and my favorite conch fritters on the island (they serve them with this tasty key lime curry dipping sauce).  I also took part in the customary hanging of a dollar on the wall.

I just got back from the gym and am currently enjoying sailaway while having a beer and reading on my veranda.

Tonight I’ll have the first of 2 dinners in Silk Harvest.

00CEC9C1-7732-482C-AF21-8356342759D9.jpeg

7D0890DE-9CA4-4F36-B6D6-529BE4358225.jpeg

204D98A3-1B92-4AC9-8014-A84B9A68227B.jpeg

6F83C421-163A-4BF1-89C3-0BFA8D037177.jpeg

1E1D4672-B017-403C-B5B8-A3EBA1921D39.jpeg

EC3F1061-8C8A-4830-8CA5-A82FE5371304.jpeg

07158D18-62FC-448F-BA51-1529521A3CEE.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrFunInTheSun said:

Thanks for bringing us along! Solo cruises are the best! Anyone thinking about going on a solo cruise I highly encourage it. 😀

Glad you’re enjoying the review!  Yes, I’m only one day in but so far I am LOVING this solo thing! I’m actually thinking it may need to become an annual tradition for me to do one cruise alone.  

Still working on how to massage that conversation with DH though.  I think it may require cooking him dinner first...a steak dinner...with a very nice bottle of wine...and probably also baking his favorite rum cake for dessert.

• Like 2

Isn't that book a fun read! I read it several years ago. Would you please check to see if La Toya is still the concierge on board.. She is so friendly and helpful. Her attitude is that she will help anyone, regardless of whether they are in a concierge class cabin. We hope she will be on board for our July b2b,

5 hours ago, 24acorns said:

I am sorry to hear this.

Have never found this myself, but always do select dining and just ask for a sharing table. First night there are a couple of reasons people don't turn up to set dining tables. Tierd from travelling and doing room service/buffet, also speciality restaurants do special offers on first night.

Fingers crossed this evening goes better for you. 

That is my thought. Especially since she was assured that she would not be alone. There are very likely other people assigned to the table but they went elsewhere last night. Unfortunately not everyone checks in with dining room staff to alert them they will be gone.

Hopefully tonight goes better!

Enjoying your review!  We're on our first X cruise this June with this itinerary.  You seem like such a fun person, I'm sorry you won't be on our cruise  :classic_biggrin:  I traveled solo for many years before I got married, but have never done a cruise solo... I may have to look into it--you're making it look like great fun!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 10:20 PM, GenerationX said:

I had planned to check out a Brazilian restaurant near the hotel for dinner tonight, but unfortunately spent the evening dealing with a travel emergency.  When I opened one of my suitcases to get ready for dinner, I realized one of my makeup bags, which had two daily medications in it, was missing!  

It turns out it fell out of my carryon onto the floor in Jeremy’s car when I was riffling through the bag on the drive to the airport.

Fortunately after calls to my doctor’s after hours line, my insurance company and to a 24 hour Walgreens about 15 minutes from the hotel, I’ll be able to go pick up replacements first thing tomorrow!  It’ll make for an earlier morning than I planned but I’m just glad I was able to solve it!

I celebrated the outcome with a room service hummus plate and a glass of wine in the bath tub and now I’m going to head to bed.

Sooo excited for embarkation day tomorrow!!!

A glass of wine in the bath...sounds like a perfect evening!

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoying your report and a big THANK YOU for taking time to keep us informed,  will be sailing the same itinerary 4/6 and looking forward to returning to Celebrity!  Having never dined in Murano before, I appreciate your review of the Dover Sole, was a toss-up between that and the Turbot, and while lobster is one of my favorite foods, I prefer mine unadulterated, steamed, with just a touch of lemon & butter on the side (like you!).  So Sole it is...unless you prefer the Turbot (I trust you, since I agree that the Pork Ramen in Sushi on 5 is to die for!)?

Looking forward to your next installment...meantime, have a blast!!

4 hours ago, 39august said:

Isn't that book a fun read! I read it several years ago. Would you please check to see if La Toya is still the concierge on board.. She is so friendly and helpful. Her attitude is that she will help anyone, regardless of whether they are in a concierge class cabin. We hope she will be on board for our July b2b,

It’s such a fun and easy read! Perfect for vacation and especially for me on this one! I will check tomorrow on La Toya’s schedule and let you know.

3 hours ago, X2tgibso said:

GenerationX, are you using the onboard WiFi?  Is it working well for you?  We’re trying to decide if the unlimited is the way to go.

Yes, I am using onboard wifi. So far the speed has been good. I was able to stream Netflix today without any freezing and my review photos are uploading pretty quickly.  It’s much better than the speeds we had on Infinity in December.  On that sailing I couldn’t do any video streaming or listing and each photo was taking 5-10 minutes to upload.

The only other down side to the wifi is that if you aren’t actively using the network for something, it kicks you off within a minute or two and you have to reconnect.  

My original plan was to catch the comedian show before my 8:30 dinner, but a nap (my second one of the day) sounded better.  Perk of solo travel:  you can cancel plans and be a slug whenever you want! I woke up a new woman completely refreshed.

When I walked into Silk Harvest for dinner I noticed that most of the ship’s officers, including Captain Kate, were there.

Once again the maitre d made sure I had a table by the window and all of the waiters made a point of coming by for a chat.  I also had a nice conversation with the ladies at the next table next to me who were from England.

My waiter from the Philippines was the same gentlemen who sold me the reservation this afternoon (at 60% off).  He must think I’m undernourished because he asked permission to just bring me half orders of most of the small plates on the menu. He looked disappointed when, after all that, I only ordered one large plate and asked if he could at least bring me a small plate of the char siu pork along with my Asian half duck.

I have another reservation at Silk Harvest on night 4 and I worry that this restaurant alone will have me living in my stretchy pants by Cozumel.

The potstickers and veggie spring roll were nothing unique, the same as I’ve had at Chinese restaurants at home.  The spicy rock shrimp was really good. I didn’t think it was particularly spicy though, and I’m not someone with a high spice tolerance.

The wonton soup was very good and a reasonable portion.

The pork was delicious and a notable exception to my “sauces do nothing for the meat on Celebrity” rule.

The duck was outstanding! I could eat it every day.  The meat was so tender it fell off my fork and the skin was crispy and slightly sweet.  

For dessert, on my waiter’s recommendation I had the caramelized banana with coconut ice cream.  I was a big fan.  Bananas foster is one of my favorite desserts and the coconut ice cream gave this one a nice twist.

I’m really grateful that I’m wearing a flowy forgiving dress tonight.  Given that I’m so stuffed I can barely breath, I have a feeling I won’t be the dancing machine shutting down Quasar again tonight. 

93F0A5BF-5274-4FA1-8A07-09E93F833A24.jpeg

6D2F9AE4-3A15-4478-A4FA-99E7023ED846.jpeg

B675368A-63B5-414C-975A-8A844F5E752C.jpeg

FB6D3B59-F382-400C-8220-9E7689B1C08A.jpeg

371563B6-74BB-4C16-99AD-BEF038701D1B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USVIcruizer said:

Thoroughly enjoying your report and a big THANK YOU for taking time to keep us informed,  will be sailing the same itinerary 4/6 and looking forward to returning to Celebrity!  Having never dined in Murano before, I appreciate your review of the Dover Sole, was a toss-up between that and the Turbot, and while lobster is one of my favorite foods, I prefer mine unadulterated, steamed, with just a touch of lemon & butter on the side (like you!).  So Sole it is...unless you prefer the Turbot (I trust you, since I agree that the Pork Ramen in Sushi on 5 is to die for!)?

Looking forward to your next installment...meantime, have a blast!!

Happy to share! I’m so glad you’re enjoying the report!

I actually have never had the Turbot so I can’t weigh in on whether it’s better than the sole, but if you do go with the Sole, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!

Hi. I hope you made it to the silent disco last night. It was SO much fun. I was surprised it was so packed.

We were at Willie T’s yesterday too. The conch fritters were great and so were the nachos. 

I’ll introduce myself at the meetup

-Michael 

8828B102-0590-4ED9-8412-B6F66598EFD9.jpeg

• Like 1

Good morning from the seas off the coast of Cuba! 

Last night after being fed like it was my last meal, I went to Cafe al Bacio for a coffee cocktail and to listen to the house band, the Cardinals. These guys are awesome!  They do a very high energy set and the front man’s voice is amazing.

I had the Aspen Coffee and three times declined the offer of something sweet from the dessert case.

It was silent disco night which is normally one of my favorite activities, but the ship was rocking a bit and I was so full from dinner I felt like if I engaged in any kind of sudden movement, I might lose my roast duck.

Instead I went to the martini bar and was excited to see Dewa who actually remembered me from Reflection a few years ago!

I had a great conversation with a couple from the east coast then after 2 drinks I waddled back to my stateroom. I drank some Evian on the veranda enjoying one of my favorite parts of cruising: seeing the starry sky over an open ocean at night with a trail of moonlight over the water.

I set my clock back an hour per the instructions in the daily then fell asleep reading my book.

I just sat down to breakfast in the MDR and am looking forward to a busy sea day. We have our Connections event this morning and then I’m doing a sushi and sake pairing lunch at Sushi on 5. After that I’ll be doing some swimming and reading by the pool, then have reservations at Tuscan Grille for dinner tonight.

Im also signed up for the World Wine Tasting which I could’ve sworn was today but the event seems to have disappeared entirely from the app, so I’ll check on that this morning as well.  This is one of the few times I miss having a butler or Michaels Club host to figure these things out for me. It’s so hard having to manage my schedule myself! LOL

25946A84-B78F-4B14-9BF8-2537EE588A84.jpeg

6836E376-580C-4C4F-B36D-EE150BAD1464.jpeg

0603D563-6B6A-446B-9C76-9D0F12C00705.jpeg

743D644C-69F2-4FB5-8EE6-20351E052B62.jpeg

4F29F9E4-9752-49C8-AC8B-2181F731F0CC.jpeg

• Like 1

GenerationX, can you confirm or deny that the daily newspaper print-outs are no longer available on the kiosks at the Front Desk?  I read something within the past 7-10 days that Celebrity is no longer printing out those pages and putting them out on the kiosks.  We looked forward to the US and Canadian versions, plus the crossword and Soduku puzzles, every morning.

Looking forward to escaping New England and settling in on Equinox for 14 nights!