Opinions Pls Adventure vs. Grandeur

I am looking at Adventure and Grandeur for 2020--same itinerary, same time period (autumn).  I think I read Adventure is like the "new" Navigator (which I will be on in October).  Grandeur is slightly smaller but people seem to like it okay.   I do not have children if that makes a difference.

On Grandeur if my deck is deck 8 which cabins should I avoid insofar as noise from deck 9 which is the pool deck?

On Adventure if my deck is Deck 10 which cabins should I avoid insofar as noise from Deck 11 which is the pool deck?

Any thoughts are appreciated.  

I agree with your deck number statements.  The nice thing about Adventure is if you want a JS, you can get one on deck 9, so no pool deck noise.

I disagree with saying that Grandeur is slightly smaller.  In my opinion, it's is significantly smaller than Adventure.  Adventure has some of the new things on Navigator, but not all.  For example, you can still enjoy the "free" sauna or steam room on Adventure, but not on Navigator.

Grandeur has an enclosed Solarium with Park Cafe, and that may be a plus to you.  No food venue and no roof for Adventure's Solarium.

16 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I agree with your deck number statements.  The nice thing about Adventure is if you want a JS, you can get one on deck 9, so no pool deck noise.

I disagree with saying that Grandeur is slightly smaller.  In my opinion, it's is significantly smaller than Adventure.  Adventure has some of the new things on Navigator, but not all.  For example, you can still enjoy the "free" sauna or steam room on Adventure, but not on Navigator.

Grandeur has an enclosed Solarium with Park Cafe, and that may be a plus to you.  No food venue and no roof for Adventure's Solarium.

I'm curious about Grandeur too - I've been on the Navigator but more recently on the larger ships though I have also done Majesty - I expect Majesty compares more to Grandeur?  The enclosed solarium is intriguing, we find we stay in there more now and spent our whole Indy cruise there pretty much!

The Grandeur is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the adventure.   We have been on both.  We did the Adventure for the New England cruise last year.  You can check out our live blog post of it by following our blog link in my profile.  It’s a pretty extensive day by day live blog of our time on the adventure.  Our blog has no ads and is not monetized.

We love both ships,  but without kids you are probably better off with the Grandeur if you don’t care about ice skating or the promenade or better shows in the theater. The Grandeur has notably less food options but the convenience of the size of the ship, and the indoor pool area for a colder weather cruise is nice.  

It it all depends on what amenities you value.  Without kids definitely makes the Grandeur a more viable option although we take our kids on the a Grandeur all the time.  Getting on her this Friday actually.

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I'm curious about Grandeur too - I've been on the Navigator but more recently on the larger ships though I have also done Majesty - I expect Majesty compares more to Grandeur?  The enclosed solarium is intriguing, we find we stay in there more now and spent our whole Indy cruise there pretty much!

Yes, in my opinion, Grandeur is closer to Majesty than to Adventure.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Yes, in my opinion, Grandeur is closer to Majesty than to Adventure.

Thank you, that helps!  I enjoyed Majesty so I expect if we want to try a vacation with less flash and stuff Grandeur may not be a bad start since we can drive there conveniently too!

6 minutes ago, rimmit said:

The Grandeur is CONSIDERABLY smaller than the adventure.   We have been on both.  We did the Adventure for the New England cruise last year.  You can check out our live blog post of it by following our blog link in my profile.  It’s a pretty extensive day by day live blog of our time on the adventure.  Our blog has no ads and is not monetized.

We love both ships,  but without kids you are probably better off with the Grandeur if you don’t care about ice skating or the promenade or better shows in the theater. The Grandeur has notably less food options but the convenience of the size of the ship, and the indoor pool area for a colder weather cruise is nice.  

It it all depends on what amenities you value.  Without kids definitely makes the Grandeur a more viable option although we take our kids on the a Grandeur all the time.  Getting on her this Friday actually.

Thank you for your insights, I'm definitely intrigued by the Grandeur and we're considering her for a 12 night next February, it's appealing in the prospect of relaxation and not worrying about shows, etc!

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Thank you for your insights, I'm definitely intrigued by the Grandeur and we're considering her for a 12 night next February, it's appealing in the prospect of relaxation and not worrying about shows, etc!

We did the 12 night on the grandeur last March to the southern Caribbean. It was very enjoyable and very relaxing. We had actually scheduled it again for this March, and then they canceled the cruise for a dry dock. Now we are getting on the six night Bahama Cruise that they replaced the 12 night with.The only negative is if you’re someone that likes to sit by the pool, the first couple and last couple days may be a little cool.

The best asset of the grandeur is it’s crew. In my opinion, it has the best crew in the fleet.

• Like 1

Just now, rimmit said:

We did the 12 night on the grandeur last March to the southern Caribbean. It was very enjoyable and very relaxing. We had actually scheduled it again for this March, and then they canceled the cruise for a dry dock. Now we are getting on the six night Bahama Cruise that they replaced the 12 night with.The only negative is if you’re someone that likes to sit by the pool, the first couple and last couple days may be a little cool.

The best asset of the grandeur is it’s crew. In my opinion, it has the best crew in the fleet.

Thank you again!  that's the one we're looking at - Southern Caribbean as it also goes to many new to us ports.  I told my husband I won't care if we have to wear sweatshirts the first and last days - we don't always put swimsuits on anymore to go sit in the solarium though I admit I always feel more appropriate if I do, even if I don't usually get in!

My DH and I love Grandeur!  I also agree that it has a fabulous crew!  I have been on Navigator but that was before the recent refurbish.  It just depends on what you are looking for.  We like the coziness of Grandeur but we don't  need all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships.  The shows in the theater were wonderful.

• Like 1

Well gosh now it will be very difficult for me to choose.  I don't mind the smaller ships.  Thanks for all the comments!  Will go to those threads mentioned also.

I guess I should have mentioned this will be sailing to Bermuda.

Edited by parrotfeathers

2 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Well gosh now it will be very difficult for me to choose.  I don't mind the smaller ships.  Thanks for all the comments!  Will go to those threads mentioned also.

I assume Adventure from Bayonne and Grandeur from Baltimore?  If so, I'd probably do Baltimore just because you never know how long Royal will have a ship there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I assume Adventure from Bayonne and Grandeur from Baltimore?  If so, I'd probably do Baltimore just because you never know how long Royal will have a ship there.

You are correct.   Never been to Baltimore!   Loved the new terminal in Bayonne but that traffic has its issues for sure.

7 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

You are correct.   Never been to Baltimore!   Loved the new terminal in Bayonne but that traffic has its issues for sure.

Plus you might find the transportation/hotel options at Baltimore are easier and/or less expensive than that in beautiful gorgeous Bayonne.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Go for the ship that will give you the most time in Bermuda!!!

In just glancing at the Bermuda port times for Grandeur and Adventure, it appears Adventure gives you more time in Bermuda. 

9 hours ago, KroozFoolz said:

In just glancing at the Bermuda port times for Grandeur and Adventure, it appears Adventure gives you more time in Bermuda. 

I never thought of that!!  Thank you!

DO NOT SAIL ON GRANDEUR.

YOU WILL HATE IT.

HORRIBLE, JUST HORRIBLE.

Hmm, maybe that will scare them away and leave more cabins for us to book.

In a couple of weeks, it will be our 3 cruise on Grandeur, all in the same cabin.

She is not a floating amusement park.  But the staff is fabulous, and the shows have been good.   And good relaxing CRUISE.

• Like 4

7th on Grandeur coming up. Great ship, great staff. Like others have said, if you're looking for a floating amusement park, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a ship to get into great ports that the big ones cant, less crowds, and great ocean views, this one is it. You get to sail down the Chesapeake from Baltimore and for nautical nerds like myself, it is fantastic to watch. 

I was on the Grandeur last year this time and out of the 50+ cruises I have been on this ship was my LEAST favorite.  It was in desperate need of updating....it was loud (they had loud music playing 24/7 thruout the ship).  It was difficult to get drinks (one bartender on at a time and no waiters/waitresses).  

Personally, I wouldn't go on the Grandeur again if someone gave it to me for free.  JMO

17 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Plus you might find the transportation/hotel options at Baltimore are easier and/or less expensive than that in beautiful gorgeous Bayonne.

Baltimore is not much of an upgrade over beautiful/gorgeous Bayonne.

With flights soo cheap why would anyone want start their vacation in one of those towns? I've found it's much cheaper to sail outta Florida/Puerto Rico. The cheaper cruise makes up for paying for the flight. IMHO

12 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

With flights soo cheap why would anyone want start their vacation in one of those towns? I've found it's much cheaper to sail outta Florida/Puerto Rico. The cheaper cruise makes up for paying for the flight. IMHO

Because for some of us, Baltimore and Bayonne are a short drive.  Much faster and cheaper to drive than deal with airports.  We almost never go on a cruise out of Florida, just because it’s so inconvenient for us to get down there.

For us, if we are getting on a plane, we are going international or on the west coast.  We don’t see the point in paying airfare to go to someplace we can drive to in a day or less. Of course, I am paying for two adults and two kids to fly, so it’s a little different when you only have to pay for one or two people.

15 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

Maybe its because its a short drive for most of us that live in the Northeast and we don't have to fly? I have family in Baltimore and visit there often. It's beautiful with lots of things to do on the waterfront. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KroozFoolz said:

That's exactly what I was thinking when you mentioned Bermuda - it's on our list to do too and we know when we do we're going for most time in Bermuda!