Bittersweet Symphony - 3/9/19 Review

Regarding eating local. 

Visited London (England) back in the early 1990s (yes, I am old).  Our group consisted of my parents, my older brother and his now-ex-wife and me and my now-ex-husband.  

They ate at -- I kid you not -- McDonald's and Pizza Hut. 

We broke off from them one night and went to a really nasty area of Soho (my then-husband was solicited several times on the sidewalk as we walked by together) and had the BEST Italian meal of my life.  Trust me, I'm fat and old, and I've had a lot of Italian food, and this food from almost 30 years ago still holds the title in my brain.  

That was the night the rest of my family went to Pizza Hut.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Regarding eating local. 

Visited London (England) back in the early 1990s (yes, I am old).  Our group consisted of my parents, my older brother and his now-ex-wife and me and my now-ex-husband.  

They ate at -- I kid you not -- McDonald's and Pizza Hut. 

We broke off from them one night and went to a really nasty area of Soho (my then-husband was solicited several times on the sidewalk as we walked by together) and had the BEST Italian meal of my life.  Trust me, I'm fat and old, and I've had a lot of Italian food, and this food from almost 30 years ago still holds the title in my brain.  

That was the night the rest of my family went to Pizza Hut.

I will admit that I do love to get McDonalds when we travel. Just once, and I always get something that is local to the area. This year we had the Teriyaki chicken sandwich in Japan and the Bulgogi burger in South Korea. But we save that for a day when we are hanging out at the train station waiting for a train or a day we had a big lunch and we are just want something quick before heading to bed. Or even at the end of a trip when we have been gone for 2-3 weeks and are ready for a bit of a change in menu, even if it is fast food.

But I can not imagine traveling anywhere and not trying good local food! Even my picky kids will try foods wherever we are. Sometimes they find something the love. Other time, they pick at the rice or noodles or bread and we hit up a fast food place, grab them something at the hotel or even stop at a convenience store.

I am glad you ditched them! 

1 minute ago, 3monkeys4me said:

I will admit that I do love to get McDonalds when we travel. Just once, and I always get something that is local to the area. This year we had the Teriyaki chicken sandwich in Japan and the Bulgogi burger in South Korea. But we save that for a day when we are hanging out at the train station waiting for a train or a day we had a big lunch and we are just want something quick before heading to bed. Or even at the end of a trip when we have been gone for 2-3 weeks and are ready for a bit of a change in menu, even if it is fast food.

But I can not imagine traveling anywhere and not trying good local food! Even my picky kids will try foods wherever we are. Sometimes they find something the love. Other time, they pick at the rice or noodles or bread and we hit up a fast food place, grab them something at the hotel or even stop at a convenience store.

I am glad you ditched them! 

Yeah, I can totally understand trying the stuff they don't have here in North America.... but no, they had Big Macs and French Fries....  

Probably no surprise that I got disowned from that family and haven't seen any of them in over 17 years --- I definitely did NOT fit in with those folks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Yeah, I can totally understand trying the stuff they don't have here in North America.... but no, they had Big Macs and French Fries....  

Probably no surprise that I got disowned from that family and haven't seen any of them in over 17 years --- I definitely did NOT fit in with those folks!

I am caucasion that married into a Filipino family.  Over the last 20 or so years there has been gap between the Aunts/Uncles and the cousins in regards to cooking Filipino food.  For the last several years each Christmas for the family gatherings, I try to cook a dish like the Filipino grandmother did (she passed several years ago)

Anyway the Christmas before last I made Diniguan stew.  The funniest thing was that a family friend happened to be attending.  She said "out all of these Filipino's present, the only caucasion present made dinuguan stew".

Short reply, I will try almost anything at least once, and if at possible I try to make it at home.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiser123! said:

I do have to say that I too am a planner, and the title is giving me all sorts of fits of anxiety over here!  😉

As well it should... du du DUNNNHHHHH

(don't worry - the ship itself was fine and amazing and awesome)

15 hours ago, gatour said:

I am caucasion that married into a Filipino family.  Over the last 20 or so years there has been gap between the Aunts/Uncles and the cousins in regards to cooking Filipino food.  For the last several years each Christmas for the family gatherings, I try to cook a dish like the Filipino grandmother did (she passed several years ago)

Anyway the Christmas before last I made Diniguan stew.  The funniest thing was that a family friend happened to be attending.  She said "out all of these Filipino's present, the only caucasion present made dinuguan stew".

Short reply, I will try almost anything at least once, and if at possible I try to make it at home.

Awesome! Also... mmmmm lumpia...

• Like 3

Next it was time for the Jellyfish to hit the water; she had smartly worn her bathing suit under her clothes. I don't do this because I don't like to leave my carry on with all our passports and electronics alone (it's too early to check in to your room, remember), and because honestly I'm just straight up too anxious and excited. She went in the infinity hot tub, and I sat and enjoyed the view. Our rooms were ready promptly at 1p, and our luggage was already there as well! (it was a little ways down the hallway, so keep an eye out). We LOVED, LOVED the two separate closets instead of one big one. As mentioned there were tons of hangers, tons of outlets (in desk, on either side of bed etc) and lighting options (mirror, above patio door, two on each side of the bed, overhead). There was still plenty of room under the bed for my mama bear suitcase, extra blankets under the bed, lots of shelving in the bathroom, and a small (empty) fridge. The room service menu was in a folder on the desk, along with stuff like the mix and mingle info, and some other invites. On past cruises I have requested they separate the bed, but Jelly looked at the couch this trip and said – Oooh, that’s where I’m sleeping! (I guess it looked extra-inviting?) Hey, fine by me. Is the bed hard? Oh yeah, the bed is hard. I was reading for a couple hours one day and my back hurt like crazy afterwards. But I was so tired at the end of the day that I really didn’t care or notice, and didn’t miss my pillowtop at all.

The Jellyfish in her natural habitat.

IMG_8961.JPG

View from the pool deck. Good bye, Florida!

IMG_8965.JPG

Our first glimpse of our home-away-from home.

IMG_8977.JPG

Is now the time to talk more about the bathroom? Because hey, it's just a bathroom. Yes, I felt a little more crowded than usual, and I put the stopper in the sink and then had to call services because I couldn't figure out out to un-stoppper it, and I was freaking out about flooding the bathroom and sinking the ship (turns out it's a lever on the back of the faucet - the more you know!). But yeah, whatever.

IMG_8982.JPG

IMG_8981.JPG

Note that our cups for our drink packages were in the room (Jelly just had soda, and I had the refreshment package, which I think was the last time because I can NEVER remember what I get with it other than the fresh OJ, and I only got that a few times). I took a picture of the inside of the fridge for you with some face wipes for perspective (it’s also one of my favorite warm-weather travel tips – keep your aloe and some wipes in the fridge, you’ll thank me later when you’re hot and sweaty and burned!). I also took a picture of the inside of the safe, because that seemed a little smaller, but I could still fit my iPad and all our passports etc. in there. It’s in the closet beside the bed. You’ll see a pic of Jelly posing with the door magnet we travel with; other people in our hallway were much fancier, but at least we can find our room quickly in a sea of doors (plus, Canada, REPRESENT!). Oh, and we had the XL patio this time, which I was surprised to find I liked quite a bit – lots more space for stretching out and relaxing. Although we weren’t out there as much as we usually are.

IMG_8983.JPG

IMG_8984.JPG

Yes, I packed more shoes than outfits. This is because I learned a harsh lesson last cruise about going all winter in socks and runners, then wearing flip-flops 24/7 (blisters between the toes, OUCCCCHHHHH). We also pack water shoes, which come in handy a lot.

IMG_8986.JPG

A nice shot of the bigger patio.

IMG_8978.JPG

YOU KNOW IT.

IMG_8987.JPG

Then it was more exploring; the gorgeous Bionic Bar, which was either shut down for maintenance or cleaning a lot (don’t worry, I make a drink later in the trip); the Starbucks that I did NOT visit at all this trip, in the interest of being more thrifty; some mental notes about drink machine locations (are there more on this ship? It felt like more). Jelly also grabbed her first Sorrento's slice, because she's 10 and by pre-teen law was legally obligated to do so. I'm not a fan of pizza at the best of times, so don't look for a review from me - she absolutely adores it though, and she's a strict Domino's-only fan the rest of the time.

IMG_8974.JPG

IMG_8992.JPG

And then – it was sail away! Now, I know that people get all excited about meeting folks they’ve met in various pre-cruise groups, and trading things, and generally making new friends in person that they’ve made online, but it’s just not us. We’ve done those things in the past, and I’d really just rather spend those hours decompressing, rather than be surrounded by loud music or excited strangers. This trip we cancelled tons of plans, simply because we could, and because it really wasn’t going to hurt anyone’s feelings too badly; we missed shows, we missed parties, you name it. And we regret none of it. Part of the reason we vacation is to get away from being scheduled, so we enjoy the freedom in just saying – to hell with it; let’s just sit at the pool an extra hour or two.

We had to go further into port, turn around, and then leave. So basically we had to go in to get out, like The Core. 

IMG_9008.JPG

One of my favorites. 

IMG_9010.JPG

Edited by CanadaCathi

59 minutes ago, larka said:

Captain Rob is my favorite Royal Captain.  Love his sense of humor.

He cracked me up, how he addressed everyone every single time - 'Good morning/afternoon/evening Ladies.... (long pause).. and gentlemen'. 

1 hour ago, CanadaCathi said:

This trip we cancelled tons of plans, simply because we could, and because it really wasn’t going to hurt anyone’s feelings too badly; we missed shows, we missed parties, you name it. And we regret none of it. Part of the reason we vacation is to get away from being scheduled, so we enjoy the freedom in just saying – to hell with it; let’s just sit at the pool an extra hour or two.

This has become my new vacation mantra for DH and I - we've told kids and other family they are welcome to tag along and vacation as they'd like and we're happy to check in and may/may not join in on something but vacationing is do as you don't get to do often enough and do what you want to do 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Shore 41 said:

I have a custom made door magnet for our room. Are they safe to leave on the outside of the door, or do people take them?

We've never had an issue with our magnets going missing, nor did we see any issues in our hallway with other much more elaborately decorated doors. That being said, I sure as heck wouldn't put anything out there worth more than a couple of bucks just in case. I have heard of other cruisers having issues.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Shore 41 said:

... Another question - I have a custom made door magnet for our room. Are they safe to leave on the outside of the door, or do people take them?

Unpredictable.

59 minutes ago, South Shore 41 said:

We are on deck 9 room 138.  Another question - I have a custom made door magnet for our room. Are they safe to leave on the outside of the door, or do people take them?

I had a decoration from the dollar store on my Symphony cabin door.  If you got off on deck 7 and turned right, you could see my decoration.   I had a few people stop me when I was leaving my cabin, to tell me how my decoration helped them know they were on the correct side.

On another cruiseline, I was with my mother and she was forgetful.  One day, she knew which deck but not the number (as it was not on the sail card) and a cabin attendant tried to help her back to the cabin.  She knew that we had put something on the door.  The attendant said the Canadian flag cabin.  After that experience, I put something on the door.

On another cruiseline, we had 10 cabins in a row.  I had put a decoration on each mailbox.  There were a couple of decorations taken during the cruise.

I would not put an expensive decoration up.

1 hour ago, CanadaCathi said:

We've never had an issue with our magnets going missing, nor did we see any issues in our hallway with other much more elaborately decorated doors. That being said, I sure as heck wouldn't put anything out there worth more than a couple of bucks just in case. I have heard of other cruisers having issues.

Yeah we've never had an issue though we've had our magnetic white boards and/or pens taken!  We had small personalized magnets on Indy and I expect they stayed because they were personalized with names/dates and unlikely to find similarly named duos!  

12 hours ago, phabric said:

I had a decoration from the dollar store on my Symphony cabin door.  If you got off on deck 7 and turned right, you could see my decoration.   I had a few people stop me when I was leaving my cabin, to tell me how my decoration helped them know they were on the correct side.

On another cruiseline, I was with my mother and she was forgetful.  One day, she knew which deck but not the number (as it was not on the sail card) and a cabin attendant tried to help her back to the cabin.  She knew that we had put something on the door.  The attendant said the Canadian flag cabin.  After that experience, I put something on the door.

On another cruiseline, we had 10 cabins in a row.  I had put a decoration on each mailbox.  There were a couple of decorations taken during the cruise.

I would not put an expensive decoration up.

Thanks. I saw some posts where people decorate their doors because "all doors look alike". 😁 I have a couple I purchased that are personalized with our names.  I'll take the chance.  

13 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Yeah we've never had an issue though we've had our magnetic white boards and/or pens taken!  We had small personalized magnets on Indy and I expect they stayed because they were personalized with names/dates and unlikely to find similarly named duos!  

Sadly the white boards and pens on the doors of our neighbours stayed put the entire cruise in December.

My kids learned some new words and VERY creative ways to use them. Why did we teach them to read so young? .............  *sigh*

34 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Sadly the white boards and pens on the doors of our neighbours stayed put the entire cruise in December.

My kids learned some new words and VERY creative ways to use them. Why did we teach them to read so young? .............  *sigh*

Ah, yep, that's why this time around we kept our pens inside the cabin and only used it to update where we went for our son/GF next door who tended to sleep in later 🙂  But our last cruise taught me I don't have an appreciation for such humor any longer and the fun of having the white board for our family check ins wasn't as pertinent as it was when they were younger.