Straws?

crash3x

2 hours ago, Sascol said:

Again - the issue is not straws ending up in the ocean - it is the plastic used to make straws taking up unnecessary space in landfills.

Oh, but I thought that was the issue - straws ending up in the oceans and the beaches and harming marine life.    

43 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Again, your correct.  The issue isn't about straws.  The issue is about controlling the choice of others for no real benefit.

But if you cruise you don't have a choice on the provisioning. The cruise line has control. You can only choose not to book. I don't like the beers they provision.  You at least can bring your own straws, I can't bring a decent brew. Maybe you think you are making a political point? I don't watch the media, CNN or Fox,  TV pundits of any ilk make me want to vomit, maybe the plastic straw issue, for or against is the latest conspiracy?  I think you are being silly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

But if you cruise you don't have a choice on the provisioning. The cruise line has control. You can only choose not to book. I don't like the beers they provision.  You at least can bring your own straws, I can't bring a decent brew. Maybe you think you are making a political point? I don't watch the media, CNN or Fox,  TV pundits of any ilk make me want to vomit, maybe the plastic straw issue, for or against is the latest conspiracy?  I think you are being silly. 

Do we really need personal attacks?  Many of us think it's silly to eliminate plastic straws for no real benefit.  If you are concerned about political statements, nothing is more politically correct than the movement to eliminate plastic straws.  Perhaps you should consider attacking those people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Again, your correct.  The issue isn't about straws.  The issue is about controlling the choice of others for no real benefit.

There IS a benefit . Not sure why you think there's not. Please expand on this. 

Maybe moving away from plastic straws alone has a relatively small impact but this along with other efforts add up to huge benefits environmentally.  Nobody is saying ditching plastic straws alone is a cure all - but it's a step in helping to eliminate unnecessary waste. 

Edited by Sascol
  • Like 2

Do we really need personal attacks?  Many of us think it's silly to eliminate plastic straws for no real benefit.  If you are concerned about political statements, nothing is more politically correct than the movement to eliminate plastic straws.  Perhaps you should consider attacking those people.

I don’t think it’s a personal attack. I think you are making a big deal about something that is not a big deal. You claim you intend to bring your own straws. Seems silly but if you want to that is fine with me. As for whether there is a real benefit or not I am agnostic. I don’t think I have enough information as to whether eliminating them is a real benefit. If they hand me a plastic straw I will use it. If they don’t I will use whatever they hand me. I barely use straws anyway. Only for malt shakes.

2 hours ago, Sascol said:

There IS a benefit . Not sure why you think there's not. Please expand on this. 

Maybe moving away from plastic straws alone has a relatively small impact but this along with other efforts add up to huge benefits environmentally.  Nobody is saying ditching plastic straws alone is a cure all - but it's a step in helping to eliminate unnecessary waste. 

Straws on a Celebrity cruise ship do not end up in the ocean or landfills. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You hurt my feelings when you said that I was silly.  

I'm on your side, but somehow I don't think you're a sensitive, new age guy/gal.  LOL

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Straws on a Celebrity cruise ship do not end up in the ocean or landfills. 

Ocean no - landfill, probably (after the cruise).  If they are incinerated along with trash, the incineration adds toxins to the air.  And yes, I know the paper ones would go through the same process but burning paper is not as harmful as burning plastic.  Regardless of what happens to them, they don't just vanish.

Edited by Sascol
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

They are incinerated. Those who want to ban plastic straws keep changing their objections.  First they claim they go in the ocean, then it's landfills and now they won't like incineration.

Thanks - I didn't know that.  If they're incinerated, then they're not going to end up on some beach or poking through some unfortunate sea turtle.

Edited by mek

Even if you live hundreds of miles from the coast, the plastic you throw away could make its way into the sea. Once in the ocean, plastic decomposes very slowly, breaking down in to tiny pieces known as micro plastics that can be incredibly damaging to sea life. 80% of plastic in our oceans is from land sources – but what does that really mean? Where is it coming from?

There are three main ways the plastic we use every day ends up in the oceans. 

1. Throwing plastic in the bin when it could be recycled

Plastic you put in the bin ends up in landfill. When rubbish is being transported to landfill, plastic is often blown away because it’s so lightweight. From there, it can eventually clutter around drains and enter rivers and the sea this way. 

1. Littering

Litter dropped on the street doesn’t stay there. Rainwater and wind carries plastic waste into streams and rivers, and through drains. Drains lead to the ocean!

Careless and improper waste disposal is also a big contributor – illegal dumping of waste adds greatly to the plastic surge in our seas. 

1. Products that go down the drain 

Many of the products we use daily are flushed down toilets, including wet wipes, cotton buds and sanitary products. Microfibres are even released into waterways when we wash our clothes in the washing machine. They are too small to be filtered out by waste water plants and end up being consumed by small marine species, eventually even ending up in our food chain.

A positive move in recent months was a ban on microbeads in rinse-off cosmetic and cleaning products introduced by the UK Government, so that these small plastic beads will no longer get washed down the sink and out into our oceans, but there are many more items that can also contribute to the problem. 

THE BOTTOM LINE

How does plastic get into the ocean? The bottom line is us. Whether we mean to litter or not, there's always a chance the plastic we throw away could make it into the sea, and from there who knows? Maybe as far as the Arctic. 

Big changes start with small steps and we all have the power to make a difference. What will you do to start cutting the plastic in your life?

We’re working with Sky to protect and restore our amazing oceans. Find out more about Sky Ocean Rescue’s fight against plastic pollution.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think it’s a personal attack. I think you are making a big deal about something that is not a big deal. You claim you intend to bring your own straws. Seems silly but if you want to that is fine with me. As for whether there is a real benefit or not I am agnostic. I don’t think I have enough information as to whether eliminating them is a real benefit. If they hand me a plastic straw I will use it. If they don’t I will use whatever they hand me. I barely use straws anyway. Only for malt shakes.

A couple of fast food chains up here in Canada have already made the switch to paper straws from plastic. They are a little thicker than the plastic ones, but they do the job. In a very unscientific survey, I didn't notice other patrons smuggling in their own plastic straws or people having their soda experience being ruined. 

For me, I would prefer the old plastic straws, but in the end the switch to paper-based straws is no big deal. 

Another thought. What would you rather put in your mouth, a tube made from processed oil, or a balsam fir twig? 😁

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, MizDemeanor said:

Even if you live hundreds of miles from the coast, the plastic you throw away could make its way into the sea. Once in the ocean, plastic decomposes very slowly, breaking down in to tiny pieces known as micro plastics that can be incredibly damaging to sea life. 80% of plastic in our oceans is from land sources – but what does that really mean? Where is it coming from?

Plastic you put in the bin ends up in landfill. When rubbish is being transported to landfill, plastic is often blown away because it’s so lightweight. From there, it can eventually clutter around drains and enter rivers and the sea this way. 

1. Littering

Litter dropped on the street doesn’t stay there. Rainwater and wind carries plastic waste into streams and rivers, and through drains. Drains lead to the ocean!

Careless and improper waste disposal is also a big contributor – illegal dumping of waste adds greatly to the plastic surge in our seas. 

Many of the products we use daily are flushed down toilets, including wet wipes, cotton buds and sanitary products. Microfibres are even released into waterways when we wash our clothes in the washing machine. They are too small to be filtered out by waste water plants and end up being consumed by small marine species, eventually even ending up in our food chain.

A positive move in recent months was a ban on microbeads in rinse-off cosmetic and cleaning products introduced by the UK Government, so that these small plastic beads will no longer get washed down the sink and out into our oceans, but there are many more items that can also contribute to the problem. 

THE BOTTOM LINE

How does plastic get into the ocean? The bottom line is us. Whether we mean to litter or not, there's always a chance the plastic we throw away could make it into the sea, and from there who knows? Maybe as far as the Arctic. 

Big changes start with small steps and we all have the power to make a difference. What will you do to start cutting the plastic in your life?

We’re working with Sky to protect and restore our amazing oceans. Find out more about Sky Ocean Rescue’s fight against plastic pollution.

None of this applies to straws on a cruise ship

On 3/29/2019 at 4:56 PM, MizDemeanor said:

2. littering
  3. Products that go down the drain 
  4. THE BOTTOM LINE

Like!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 2:56 PM, MizDemeanor said:

1. Littering

THE BOTTOM LINE

And all of the selfish self centered people with their heads in the sand will not understand or realize this.  It all has to start somewhere.  This is the only planet we have to call home.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

And all of the selfish self centered people with their heads in the sand will not understand or realize this.  It all has to start somewhere.  This is the only planet we have to call home.

I am neither selfish or self centered, nor do I have my head in the sand. I simply don't agree with this particular issue. I checked the 5 things that I can do to reduce plastic waste and you know what?  I'm doing pretty darn good.  I don't drink bottled water, so scratch that off.  When I do occasionally get coffee, it comes in a paper cup, not plastic, I use cloth bags at the grocery about 70% of the time, I work from home, so no carry out for lunch.  But OMG, I use about 3 plastic straws a week - off with my head!  If I had a choice, I might even try a paper straw - it will bring back childhood memories when I used to chew on the end of my paper straw at lunch,. But I refuse to buy into the "banning plastic straws will make a significant impact on pollution" argument.  I do have an open mind, so I can't wait to see the stats in a year or two to see huge decline in plastic trash this ban has made.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

Single use plastics are bad and unnecessary. Paper alternatives do the move for single use just as well. Why are some people so insistent on needing plastic? 

We have pretty much eliminated plastic bags here in Ireland, and no one is missing them. 

Same me with coffee cups, billions dumped per day. Buy a good steel coffee cup. Same for water bottles. I’m not a tree hugger, but we do all have a responsibility, individually, and collectively, to look after this world for future generations. 

• Like 2

Single use plastics are bad and unnecessary. Paper alternatives do the move for single use just as well. Why are some people so insistent on needing plastic? 

We have pretty much eliminated plastic bags here in Ireland, and no one is missing them. 

Same me with coffee cups, billions dumped per day. Buy a good steel coffee cup. Same for water bottles. I’m not a tree hugger, but we do all have a responsibility, individually, and collectively, to look after this world for future generations. 

None wants to say it outright here. It has to do with US politics.

47 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

None wants to say it outright here. It has to do with US politics.

Back to the matter at hand, I coincidentally am in some lighter discussions with others on FB on a topic that someone raised concerning the plastc rings that secure the caps on milk bottle jugs. There are so many little things that are part of our daily life that we don't even think about and what the implications of them are. My new question even to myself is why are we buying eggs from suppliers who use plastic cartons or styrofoam cartons rather than cardboard? 

sgy6eY80TL6V0Zbx9bIOqw_thumb_6315.jpg

Edited by MizDemeanor

8 hours ago, mek said:

I am neither selfish or self centered, nor do I have my head in the sand. I simply don't agree with this particular issue. I checked the 5 things that I can do to reduce plastic waste and you know what?  I'm doing pretty darn good.  I don't drink bottled water, so scratch that off.  When I do occasionally get coffee, it comes in a paper cup, not plastic, I use cloth bags at the grocery about 70% of the time, I work from home, so no carry out for lunch.  But OMG, I use about 3 plastic straws a week - off with my head!  If I had a choice, I might even try a paper straw - it will bring back childhood memories when I used to chew on the end of my paper straw at lunch,. But I refuse to buy into the "banning plastic straws will make a significant impact on pollution" argument.  I do have an open mind, so I can't wait to see the stats in a year or two to see huge decline in plastic trash this ban has made.

I applaud your efforts and thank you.  Please understand, it is not just straws.  It is all single use plastics.  It has to start somewhere, and straws are a great first step, as plastic ones are no longer necessary.  I have been on several cruises when I have witnessed straws and cups blowing overboard in the wind along with other things.  No, "banning just plastic straws will not make a significant impact" but again it is a start and everything must start somewhere, just as you are doing.....  

Back to the matter at hand, I coincidentally am in some lighter discussions with others on FB on a topic that someone raised concerning the plastc rings that secure the caps on milk bottle jugs. There are so many little things that are part of our daily life that we don't even think about and what the implications of them are. My new question even to myself is why are we buying eggs from suppliers who use plastic cartons or styrofoam cartons rather than cardboard? 

The problem is that cardboard has implications too. Paper products require more energy and greenhouse emissions to make. The real issue with plastic is proper disposal. Litter. Paper has an issue too, carbon emissions. That is why I said earlier I am agnostic on the issue of plastic straws. The only effective answer would be not to use straws at all. We could say go back to glass milk bottles but then that would likely raise other issues. All that sea glass because glass was littered. Now, the issue has come up that China does not want our trash anymore. Recycling costs have gone up. Some communities have now stopped recycling because they can’t afford it. A solution that seems like a solution, eliminating plastic straws or plastic egg cartons may make people feel good but may not be a real solution.

I applaud your efforts and thank you.  Please understand, it is not just straws.  It is all single use plastics.  It has to start somewhere, and straws are a great first step, as plastic ones are no longer necessary.  I have been on several cruises when I have witnessed straws and cups blowing overboard in the wind along with other things.  No, "banning just plastic straws will not make a significant impact" but again it is a start and everything must start somewhere, just as you are doing.....  

Straws of whatever material should be disposed of properly. Banning plastic straws just trades the impact of one material for the impact of another material unless people stop using straws altogether.