Straws?

crash3x

Recyleing is a joke. A friend lives in a very affluent city in South Orange County in Ca. They are issued three cans for trash, recycle and greens. He has pics of the same truck picking up all three boxes in one swoop. Asked the driver why and was just told one truck was broken and that is what he was told to do.Yes he no longer recyles! He was so happy when his job transferred him out of Ca.

Edited by rvmike
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Recyleing is a joke. A friend lives in a very affluent city in South Orange County in Ca. They are issued three cans for trash, recycle and greens. He has pics of the same truck picking up all three boxes in one swoop. Asked the driver why and was just told one truck was broken and that is what he was told to do.Yes he no longer recyles! He was so happy when his job transferred him out of Ca.

Recycling is a challenge, it’s not a joke, it should be treated as a serious opportunity for our future and future generations. 

That your friend used this single event as an excuse not to recycle, it tells me that he’s lazy in the brain, probably never recycled to begin with, and is environmentally irresponsible. 

Dont shoot the messenger, you put this story out there. You said recycling is a joke. You shared your opinion, your friends judgement of recycling activities and rules, and I am sharing my judgement of the sum of all of those parts. 

• Like 5

Do a search on how many cities cannot afford to do it anymore. Not lazy in the brain, he programs nuclear warheads where they go. Let,s talk about disposable diapers and how many are in a landfill versus straws. If he never recycled in. The past how did he see all his cans go in one truck? Maybe your brain does not work!

Edited by rvmike

31 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Do a search on how many cities cannot afford to do it anymore. Not lazy in the brain, he programs nuclear warheads where they go. Let,s talk about disposable diapers and how many are in a landfill versus straws. If he never recycled in. The past how did he see all his cans go in one truck? Maybe your brain does not work!

Or maybe diapers from all of the old folks on a cruise ship.

33 minutes ago, rvmike said:

I can completely understand the incident that you described where the trash truck for the recylables was broken down and there was trash that was commingled for that pick up, I can completely get that as an isolated incident, and I can completely follow that a busienss decision was made by the trash hauler. 

I can tell you this, in the part of the country that I am in, if Recylables are contaminated with Regular trash, there are penalties imposed by the trash haulers because they cannot dump the recyclables in that dump and the commingled and contaminated trash must go to the regular dump. Which it should not because of the items that will not be broken down. In these parts recycling is taken pretty seriously and people are pretty conscientious, habitual and accountable towards it. Its the people like your freind who are making it impossible to remain cost effective by sheer refusal  to cooperate 'with the program'

As for diapers, there are options for nearly biodegrable ones, so this has been thought about and addressed. Just like straws, dog poop bags, and a variety of other everyday items that are moving to environmentally conscious and responsible. 

• Like 2

Cooperate with the program sounds like something from a country in Europe during WWII. It was not just his trash but the whole neighbor hood. He also went to the city council meeting and they would not let him finish his complaint. Can, blame him for being done with this PROGRAM!

Edited by rvmike

10 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Cooperate with the program sounds like something from a country in Europe during WWII. It was not just his trash but the whole neighbor hood.

Obviously it was the whole neigborhood, I know how garbage truck routes work. As for your other comment about cooperation, many, many communities websites have the trash regulations and the Triangle Numbers of the types of recyclables posted in their website. So unless the town in which he lived was some sort of freak show its there, its town business. Whether trash is included in your taxes, or homeowner fees, or rents, or its its paid for privately. It's present day Town/City Business. 

Edited by MizDemeanor

Don’t want to address the council not letting him complain. America is not a do as I say country. Mod’s need to shut this down.The city was Laguna Beach, very liberal. I think I just answered my own Question!

Edited by rvmike

20 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Don’t want to address the council not letting him complain. America is not a do as I say country. Mod’s need to shut this down.The city was Laguna Beach, very liberal. I think I just answered my own Question!

And by a quick look it seems that they have a section of their home page devoted to Recycling of which they proud about for their statistics and accomplishments. Its about community involvement on a local level and all the oars rowing in the same direction.

I follow that not everyone gets that, but willfull defiance and showing off about as others have as well on this thread is not anything that this poster can appreciate since it impacts me and my family and my future generations on a global basis. 

Celebrity is being environmentally friendly be substiting the types of straws that it has been using. Its to be appreciated, not condemned. 

Edited by MizDemeanor
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

I follow that not everyone gets that, but willfull defiance and showing off about as others have as well on this thread is not anything that this poster can appreciate since it impacts me and my family and my future generations on a global basis. 

Dramatic? This just isn't true.

The city was obviously rowing in a different direction when they would not let him complain. If I want to use plastic I will bring my own and Celebrity can’t say didly about it. I do not have to live in your world, that is why my father fled Germany.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rvmike said:

The city was obviously rowing in a different direction when they would not let him complain. If I want to use plastic I will bring my own and Celebrity can’t say didly about it. I do not have to live in your world, that is why my father fled Germany.

Well said

2 minutes ago, rvmike said:

You and I are living in the same world, its called Planet Earth. I don't plan to leave it anytime soon. 

I'm very sorry for your father's hardships, and out of respect for that time and place in the world I know I can't communicate with you futher on this topic because despite my sensitivity to the history of a particular time and place, I don't think this is the time and place for me to agree to associate that sensitive a subject to the current topic of the replacement of straws on the ships by Celebrity and or the reasons why.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, they came for my newspapers, and I ponied them up because who wants a stack of newspapers around anyway?

Next, they came for my plastic shopping bags and I didn't object because their were still lots of other nonrecyclable containers I could use.

Then they wanted my jars and cans, and I dumped them into the containers because they were just sitting on my counters for years.

Now, however, they are coming for my straws and it is time! Time to strike a blow--er, a suck--for freedom and the American way of trash!

Rise up, chant with me: "They can have my straw when they pry it from between my cold, dead lips!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mayleeman said:

First, they came for my newspapers, and I ponied them up because who wants a stack of newspapers around anyway?

Next, they came for my plastic shopping bags and I didn't object because their were still lots of other nonrecyclable containers I could use.

Then they wanted my jars and cans, and I dumped them into the containers because they were just sitting on my counters for years.

Now, however, they are coming for my straws and it is time! Time to strike a blow--er, a suck--for freedom and the American way of trash!

Rise up, chant with me: "They can have my straw when they pry it from between my cold, dead lips!"

The plan is you won't need your straw because they are coming for your soft drinks.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

The plan is you won't need your straw because they are coming for your soft drinks.

Darn it! Those nefarious monsters! 

Well, then, they can have my soft drinks when they pump them from my cold dead stomach.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I understand completely and agree with you.  Plastic straws are not a direct threat to the oceans.  You need to convince everyone that is trying to use polluting the oceans as an excuse for eliminating plastic straws.  So again for the 6001st time, the real is people trying to tell others what they need or don't need.  I many others object to trying to control choices for others without any tangible benefit. 

The cruise lines have made a decision to help limit waste by transitioning to other straw options.  That's it.  No hidden agendas, no political motivations.  They are just trying to help a cause and with this there IS a tangible benefit when you lump this in with all of the other efforts going on worldwide to limit plastics.  If you want to use a plastic straw that you bring have at it. I honestly don't think anyone is trying to tell anyone else what to do here.  The cruise lines are just doing what they think is right for the future of our planet.

Edited by Sascol
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Sascol said:

The cruise lines have made a decision to help limit waste by transitioning to other straw options.  That's it.  No hidden agendas, no political motivations.  They are just trying to help a cause and with this there IS a tangible benefit when you lump this in with all of the other efforts going on worldwide to limit plastics.  If you want to use a plastic straw that you bring have at it. I honestly don't think anyone is trying to tell anyone else what to do here.  The cruise lines are just doing what they think is right for the future of our planet.

I disagree.  Since taking over, LLP has done everything to go out of her way to be PC.   Hopefully now all the straw banners  feel warm and fuzzy.  That's all that it's meant to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mayleeman said:

Blown way out of proportion, it is not the actual drinking implement which are being taken away, for the most part, it is the composition of the implement which is being taken away.

So, if you are talking about plastic, go for it.

While not currently banned from being brought aboard, if one must have a 'plastic' drinking straw, pack a box of them in your carry on, that way you will have them at hand or more succinctly, your lips, cold or warm.

cheers and bon voyage

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

While not currently banned from being brought aboard, if one must have a 'plastic' drinking straw, pack a box of them in your carry on, that way you will have them at hand or more succinctly, your lips, cold or warm.

cheers and bon voyage

That's my plan and I'll have plenty of straws for any of my friends.