Do not depend on Crown Library for books

phonejock

I don't remember any computers in the library on the Crown Princess.  The internet room was on the starboard side of the ship while the library room was on the port side.  They were two entirely different rooms.  The library was just that....a small room with book shelves and some tables and chairs in the center with a few books and games.  That was it (at least it was last November).  

I love the library on Coral, maybe why that is my favorite ship.  I pick up books at the library, but I return more than I keep to take home.  I try to finish and return the ship books that I get.  I bring lots of books on a cruise; read and leave them on the ship so I have room for a few souvenirs.  Reading is my thing.  I find a good shady chair with a view of the ocean, read, and I am content.

Please keep the libraries.  I am willing to share with the gamers.  Just don't pipe loud music where I wish to read.

Lately I've been reading a lot of science fiction. One of the things I love about the Kindle (and Amazon) is that there are about a billion books out there to read, most very inexpensive because the authors are unknown. I can load up the Kindle with some $1.99 books and if one or two turn out to be dogs, no huge monetary loss. I love being able to bring along a bunch of books without the bulk and weight. 

Though, I too was saddened by the Crown's library on our February cruise. Very few books. I for see Princess turning that space into another Effy shop or something similar in the future.

Did the Princess ships ever have librarians? Or am I thinking of another line? 

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I used to donate my books to the local library until I went to their annual book sale every year and they always had 50 copies of the best sellers on sale from the previous year.

So, we too go to the library often. To check out books, give books for their sales, and to buy books for future cruises. Win, win, win. And we will donate to the ship library as well.  

But in this ‘day and age’ hubby thinks (and I like the idea) is Princess supplies the kindles. The passenger can borrow the kindle for a down payment that will be returned when the cruise is finished. The ship supplies books to download in the library. One techie needed to help those who don’t know how to operate one. The ship could then have a great ‘library’ at their disposal to share with the passengers, the room could be freed up to be made into storage for barrel chairs (my addition) and board games. 

The only snafoo in this is that the readers won’t be gambling or drinking, thus making the ship a profit. 

2 minutes ago, RNGALNG said:

So, we too go to the library often. To check out books, give books for their sales, and to buy books for future cruises. Win, win, win. And we will donate to the ship library as well.  

But in this ‘day and age’ hubby thinks (and I like the idea) is Princess supplies the kindles. The passenger can borrow the kindle for a down payment that will be returned when the cruise is finished. The ship supplies books to download in the library. One techie needed to help those who don’t know how to operate one. The ship could then have a great ‘library’ at their disposal to share with the passengers, the room could be freed up to be made into storage for barrel chairs (my addition) and board games. 

The only snafoo in this is that the readers won’t be gambling or drinking, thus making the ship a profit. 

Nice idea but I think it would be more likely that they would sell Kindles and then you'd have to buy a wireless package so you could download books! 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RNGALNG said:

But in this ‘day and age’ hubby thinks (and I like the idea) is Princess supplies the kindles. The passenger can borrow the kindle for a down payment that will be returned when the cruise is finished. The ship supplies books to download in the library. One techie needed to help those who don’t know how to operate one.

I was recently on a high end river cruise and they supplied each room with an iPad. It was used for room service, looking at schedules, reserving excursions, etc... Since my trip was port intensive, I never took it out of the room but they had free WIFI on the ship so I wonder if I could have taken it up on deck. 

On 3/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, Astro Flyer said:

I recently read a post that Princess is in the process of eliminating libraries fleetwide & based on the OP’s experience it appears to indicate they are beginning to phase out libraries.

Each of us can speculate about why Princess decided to make the change...my guess it’s an underutilized space because many use e-readers.

The library on a Princess ship has not been "robust" for some years now.  On the newer ships it's just a wall in the computer room as I recall.  On the older (i.e. Crown-class) ships it was a dedicated room--small, but offered more books than on the Royal.  Decline could be due to e-reader usage, but also could be one way to cut back and/or avoid the "hassle".  

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I don't like reading on a very bright screen like a tablet.

It's easy to dim the screen on my phone and tablet. The Kindle is a bit of a "one trick pony". I use the tablet and phone for more than just reading. I don't have an issue with the Kindle but it's just not for me. It certainly is a lot less expensive than a tablet or phone which is a huge plus for the Kindle.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

It's easy to dim the screen on my phone and tablet. The Kindle is a bit of a "one trick pony". I use the tablet and phone for more than just reading. I don't have an issue with the Kindle but it's just not for me. It certainly is a lot less expensive than a tablet or phone which is a huge plus for the Kindle.

I bring a laptop, phone and kindle on my vacations. I work in IT so I am familiar with technology and how to adjust screens accordingly. I just really like the e-ink technology with the kindle. It would drive me crazy to read a book on my phone. It maybe a one trick pony but for reading - it is much better than laptop and phone.

18 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Me, too.  It's exceeded my expectations in every way.   One I really love about the Kindle is being able to easily read in low-light situations (airplanes after they dim the cabin, a dimly lit restaurant or bar). 

Or if you wake up in the middle of the night. So nice not to have to turn a light on. I put the backlight on grey and my eyes thank me for it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I bring a laptop, phone and kindle on my vacations. I work in IT so I am familiar with technology and how to adjust screens accordingly. I just really like the e-ink technology with the kindle. It would drive me crazy to read a book on my phone. It maybe a one trick pony but for reading - it is much better than laptop and phone.

Unless you only remember to pack your phone charger. I read on mine for a whole week once. 

Better than nothing!

A Library :-

a building or room containing collections of books, periodicals, and sometimes films and recorded music for use or borrowing by the public or the members of an institution ..

Sorry but a book is book... stared at computer screens for 30 years at work... there is something about a paper book....
Look no batteries or place to plug it in....  You can drop it or hold up the corner of a table....    also it lost in bush you can use it to help start a fire..

Princess has some book shelves which may or may not contain book....

Cheers Don

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

A Library :-

a building or room containing collections of books, periodicals, and sometimes films and recorded music for use or borrowing by the public or the members of an institution ..

Sorry but a book is book... stared at computer screens for 30 years at work... there is something about a paper book....
Look no batteries or place to plug it in....  You can drop it or hold up the corner of a table....    also it lost in bush you can use it to help start a fire..

Princess has some book shelves which may or may not contain book....

Cheers Don

Libraries also contain books for e-readers. 

I used to borrow books for my Nook and my Kindle. 

A book is a book is a book. 

The important thing is to read. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Libraries also contain books for e-readers. 

I used to borrow books for my Nook and my Kindle. 

A book is a book is a book. 

The important thing is to read. 

I get all of my kindle books from the library. I just don't physically go there to get them. We have bad winters where I live :) That is why I got the kindle in the first place.

Libraries are changing. Some don't contain any physical books whatsoever. Some contain 3D printers. Others have meeting space. The term "library" is changing all the time.

The ship libraries are suffering from the profusion of kindle readers and their competitors.  We fill up our kindles with books we want to read on a cruise before we leave home.  As a result the ships are having fewer books to offer and the libraries themselves are dwindling down to just a small book case in one area with no books or chairs to read said books.  

There are several areas on ships to read in quiet comfort.  On the Ruby/Emerald/Crown is the seldom used bar next to Sabatini's.  There are others depending on the ship so look around.  

I went to my high school for a tour organized for our class of 50 years ago.  They showed us the library which had only a handful of books.  We were told that they now use ipads for all the students.  They are used for homework, asking questions after school of their instructors etc.  The ipads are provided by the school and are locked to only school use.  

Time are changing and printed materials are becoming less and less. 

14 hours ago, TriumphGuy said:

Though, I too was saddened by the Crown's library on our February cruise. Very few books. I for see Princess turning that space into another Effy shop or something similar in the future.   It is too small for an Effy shop or other boutique.

Did the Princess ships ever have librarians? Or am I thinking of another line?   Some of the cruise director's staff would be in the library for a hour or two each day.

See above in red.

The Pacific Princess library has the best library on Princess ships.

22 hours ago, georgiacat said:

I love the library on Coral, maybe why that is my favorite ship.  I pick up books at the library, but I return more than I keep to take home.  I try to finish and return the ship books that I get.  I bring lots of books on a cruise; read and leave them on the ship so I have room for a few souvenirs.  Reading is my thing.  I find a good shady chair with a view of the ocean, read, and I am content.

Please keep the libraries.  I am willing to share with the gamers.  Just don't pipe loud music where I wish to read.

We loved the library on our recent Coral cruise too! Those yellow chairs were perfect and every other seat was taken most of the day. I read books on my ipad that I borrowed from my town library and just enjoyed the lovely space. I really hope they don't eliminate these areas. I also participated in the book club but you had to be in the library early the first day to get a book!